MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Heaven's Manna

I am trying to find a balance for our diet. Let me stop right here and say diet is not to loose weight (which I need to do and am doing slowly) but a way of life. Both of hubby and I have to face the fact that some health issues run in our families, like heart, diabetes and dementia. We have pretty much phased out processed foods. No frozen dinners, no hamburger helper boxes and no sodas. Pretty much everything is cooked from scratch. But even then just reading "health" advice and "diet" suggestions has my head spinning. I ran across a little book I bought many, many years ago. The copyright is 2002. It is called Manna from Heaven, by Charmaine Rivers. It has me looking at our food choices differently. Our choices were not bad as a matter of fact they are really Biblically based and I wasn't even trying.

I am just trying to find more ways to was to incorporate "good" food into our diet. Like dates, figs, nuts, and other healthy choices. In this little book is a recipe for Date Nut Bread. It is not sweet and hubby really liked it. The only change is I used raisins instead of cranberries because that is what I had.

8oz chopped dates

1oz dried cranberries ( I used raisins)

1/2c brown sugar, packed

1/4c soften butter

3/4 cup boiling water

1 egg, well beaten

1 teaspoon of baking soda

1 3/4c flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2c chopped almonds or walnuts ( I used walnuts)

Bring water to a boil, turn off heat and add dates, cranberries, brown sugar and butter. Stir until butter is melted and sugar is integrated.  Let cool then beat in egg. Sift together baking soda, salt and flour. Add to mixture, stirring not beating. Fold in nuts. Put mixture in a light greased pan and bake for one hour. Cool on rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pan. Serve when completely cool.

Ok if you notice there is no oven setting so I used 350 degrees and cooked it for 45 minutes. We are at 3,000 plus elevation. I used a 8x8 pan. It came out thin but we were good with it like that. No hubby did not let it cool before asking for some. I cut it down the middle then cut it into inch and half strips. It was good warm.

There are other recipes in this book that I am going to try but I have to wait until I go grocery shopping. I need figs and I am afraid they will have to be dried since it is too early in the season for them.

I shared all this because I have been studying the foods of the Bible and I plan on adapting our diet to a more biblical based food pyramid. Well as much as I can living in beef country. I will share my resources if anyone is interested. 2018 is the year that we take back our health and break the chains that big cooperate food venders have on us.

• Like 4

Yum....copied that to my desktop.  I like quick breads.....cuz they're QUICK!  lol

I like your food philosophy.  In our super-hectic past 9 months, we've had more convenience foods that in the past 9 yrs combined.  Best to get off that sooner than later. 

MtRider  :sSig_thankyou:

• Like 1