MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Mt_Rider

Urban Survival Course by Selco

QUOTE......

by Selco

Editor’s Note: Did you ever wish you could drop everything and fly over to the Balkans to be trained in urban survival by Selco? Wouldn’t it be great to be able to pick his brain and have him beside you as you learned to deal with an SHTF scenario? Well, here’s the next best thing. Selco recently finished teaching a hardcore 5-day course in Croatia. With 6 students, they went through high-stress exercises and learned about living through an all-out disaster where danger lurks around every corner.  Selco has generously agreed to write a series for us so that we can learn from him. It’s not quite like being there, but it’s the next best thing. ~ Daisy

What to Pack for a 5-Day Urban Survival Course

UNQUOTE.....

===============================

If you aren't familiar with the name, "Selco"

QUOTE....

About the Author

Selco

Selco survived the Balkan war of the 90s in a city under siege, without electricity, running water, or food distribution. In his online works, he gives an inside view of the reality of survival under the harshest conditions. He reviews what works and what doesn’t, tells you the hard lessons he learned, and shares how he prepares today. He never stopped learning about survival and preparedness since the war. Regardless what happens, chances are you will never experience extreme situations like Selco did. But you have the chance to learn from him and how he faced death for months. Real survival is not romantic or idealistic. It is brutal, hard and unfair. Let Selco take you into that world. Read more of Selco's articles here: https://shtfschool.com/blog/ And take advantage of a deep and profound insight into his knowledge and advice by signing up for the outstanding and unrivaled online course. More details here: https://shtfschool.com/survival-boot-camp/

UNQUOTE....

=================================

Here is the link over at The Organic Prepper:

https://www.theorganicprepper.com/the-gear-selco-recommends-for-his-urban-survival-course/

Looks interesting and has clear pics.  I'm not "urban" by any definition.....but some days I'm "in town".  I'm going to take a look. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 3

Here is another article by Selco.....  :hidingsmile:

Best Quote: 

"It is important to understand that sooner or later you’ll be forced to go out, and in urban settings that means you meet other people.

The point of prepping is to postpone that moment (by having a lot of resources in your home) until you figure out what is going on outside."

https://www.theorganicprepper.com/selco-defend-your-home-shtf/

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2

I've been following Selco's articles for years.  [read his bio at bottom]  This is a good one.... About medical needs in a post-hooeyhitsfan situation.  

Tho he doesn't know how VERY good the natural medicines can be if someone is VERY experienced and has access to a full natural pharmacopia.  In such cases, natural ways can avoid nasty things that the Western medical model has created.  It's not always "second best". 

However he is correct in that some things [fast moving cancers, bad infections, surgical repairs of injuries, etc] are FAR better off with Western medicine.  AND his point is well taken that other factors such as nutritional starvation, immediate secuity, etc can combine to make the situation quite different...and the outcome less sure. 

Organic Prepper has his articles and so does SHTFplan.com

Edited by Mt_Rider

Another HUGE point Selco makes is to start with basics...things you CAN control like hygiene.  This is something that some folks don't even bother with now.....when soap and clean-hot-running water are immediately available.  Think of how difficult hygiene will be in a post-hooey.  Many degrees harder than when we go camping.

DH works with a woman who sliced her finger with a knife in her kitchen.  At their work, they deal with handling money.  Our currency is one of the most germ-filled items so DH is always washing his hands and being careful.  He's always sanitizing around the place.  Well, apparently she didn't....or she didn't clean the cut well enough initially.  The deep cut has now turned into a bone infection.  That's serious and will now require strong antibiotics and possible surgery to scrape out the infection.  :o 

Think of this scenario in a post-hooey.  Someone could easily DIE from a cut finger.......   Make sure we have supplies for sanitation...including several ways to get clean water.  AND MAKE SURE OUR HABITS ARE IN PLACE for very very meticulous hygiene.  We've grown complacent about having the ER and Western Medical surgery handy. 

MtRider  :fever:  :dishes:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2

Good point! I've heard of that sort of thing happening too. Super Bugs and MRSA are far too common. My cousins husband could have lost his arm a few years back from MRSA that he got while in the hospital. It was horrible. He was on IV drugs for almost a month with a visiting nurse coming to their house every day to monitor him. The illness was bad but was compounded by the real possibility of losing his entire arm. 

I don't like vaccines and don't really recommend them but one vaccine I do keep up to date on is the tetanus shot. It's good for 10 years. Tetanus, AKA Lock Jaw, is a horrible way to die. It not only affects the jaw but other muscles as well. They are very painful and life threatening muscle spasms.

I remember reading about a little Amish boy who was doing chores in the barn and somehow cut himself. Either nail or pitchfork...can't remember. The poor little guy suffered with muscle contractions all through his body. They nearly lost him. They said he will never really return to normal. All from just a small wound.

I would never tell anyone how to handle their medical affairs but for ME 1 shot every 10 years makes me feel better. That little boy suffered so much... :sad-smiley-012:

https://www.healthline.com/health/tetanus

Edited by Jeepers
Forgot Link
  • Like 2

When I pushed a young goat back by shoving on her head, I accidentally gave myself a deep, dirty puncture wound at the base of my thumb.  :cheeky-smiley-067: Dumb.  But the next thing I did was get into the ER for a professional cleaning.  They didn't even ASK before giving me a tetanus shot.  On that one, I agree.

Young goat's new horns are so sharp! 

MtRider  ....wonder how long that's been?  :scratchhead: Not 10 yrs yet....mebbe 5?

• Like 1

I get my shot on a year that ends in zero. 2000, 2010.  2020 will be my next one. Only way I can remember.

• Like 2

Selco article -

SELCO: “The media manipulated people, bombarding us with fear and hate” during the Balkan Wars. Sound familiar?

6/26/2018

https://www.theorganicprepper.com/media-fear-hate/

Not about preparing physically....but mentally/emotionally.  A warning to be as discerning as possible.

MtRider :pc_coffee:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Another SELCO article:

https://www.theorganicprepper.com/selco-these-are-the-signs-the-shtf-is-happening-for-real/

Anyone else have "trigger points" that your family would use to say..."yes, it's time to do things differently"?  Or maybe we already are doing some things differently?  Having Trigger Points already put down on paper, so to speak, is one way to combat Normalcy Bias.....just sayin'.  :shrug:

MtRider  :tinfoilhatsmile:

• Like 1

I am already doing things a bit differently. Don’t want to set off anything here so I won’t go into why. Suffice it to say that in my view the new normal is abnormal and I see potential for bad stuff ahead. There are reasons why I came back to this site. I was glad to be somewhat prepared for the Great Recession. I had a sense of impending catastrophe prior to that, which is what originally brought me here. Now I am rebuilding and fortifying with a sense of urgency again. I sure as heck hope that my Spidey Sense is wrong this time. But I want to be READY.

• Like 5

I moved.  This is where I've always needed to be.  I just didn't know it until I got here.

But it will be two years before I can have a substantial harvest.

• Like 3

I'm thinking the same thing Ambergris. Except I'm 1-2 years behind you.

I've got a cheapy software home and yard planner guide that I want to try to work with so I can figure out a planting grid before I start digging and hopefully not make as many costly mistakes.

I miss my MIL. She and I were on the same page and she wasn't afraid to forge ahead and get things done that needed doing. She really kept me alert. She was a young girl during the depression and really knew how to make due. It wasn't always pretty but she always tried. I learned so much from her during the Carter years in the late 70's.

No one else in my family cares. Why bother. It's all right there in the grocery store. If Wal-Mart don't have it...you don't need it.  :sigh:

Why bother with canning and preserving food and doing all of that work when you could be doing...nothing.

• Like 2

So glad Ambergris and Jeepers are in/almost in their new places.  Location, location, location! 

:sigh:  Soooo.....apparently God thinks THIS is our location......right now anyway.  :shrug:  

MtRider  :pray:

• Confused 1

I am glad @Ambergris and @Jeepers are getting moved also. 

Our last move was VERY GOOD for us. It is a good feeling to be where you feel you are supposed to be.

• Like 1

This article is similar but this isn't Selco.  This is Jose in Venezuela......

It's a bit scattered, in my opinion.  But see if there is something to take away from this person's experience....beyond thankfulness we don't live in Venezuela right now.  :(

https://www.theorganicprepper.com/venezuelan-prepper/

MtRider  :reading:

• Like 2

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/selco-what-to-do-if-unwanted-people-show-up-at-your-door-when-the-shtf_07232018

Another Selco article about:  Whaddya do when THEY show up at your door..  :hidingsmile:  ..unwanted acquaintances with empty hands and brains. 

Edited by Mt_Rider

My family will grow from just me to g-son, son, D-I-L, and maybe her mother when I move.

I used to just prep for myself and I liked it that way. Less to do. As I am aging I finally admit that I will need help. Mostly with gardening, canning, laundry and about everything else.

I really miss the big family I had with all of my aunts, uncles, cousins, grandma and grandpa growing up. Then later my In-Laws. They were all precious to me. Aunts, uncles, grand parents and In-laws are all gone and we cousins are all scattered about and rapidly aging too. I think we range in age from mid 60's to the late 70's. I was an only child but there were about 30 of us cousins and most of us lived in walking distance of each other. Think Mayberry.  :sigh:

• Like 3

My maternal cousins were usually my best friends growing up.  Now I'm seldom in contact with more than one or two of them in any year, unless there's a funeral.  When my grandfather remarried there were six of us cousins and five of them cousins.  We never got close.  I knew my second cousins better.  

But yeah, they're far away and sometimes I really miss having them to talk to and compare notes with.  I finally found out which prison my closest boy-cousin has been moved to, so maybe I will go see him this fall.

• Like 1

My cousins were my best friends too. Since my BFF/Cousin died, I'm only in occasional phone contact with one and Christmas card exchanges with three. I've lost 3 cousins and a couple are closing in on that age 80 mark. I never knew my dad's side of the family.

Maybe I will make some new friends when I move. I doubt it though. Social anxiety is a real bummer. And where to go? And who to trust? I made friends when I was in school.

This will sound so strange but consider the source. I had a dear friend who was a recovering alcoholic. She was also shy. I used to go with her to a lot of A.A. meetings just to support her. What a great bunch of people! So loving, caring and thoughtful. It was an 'open' (anyone could go) meeting and they knew why I was there and didn't care. She finally got a sponsor so I stopped going with her. I really missed those meetings and people for a long time. But in reality I was an outsider. The strange part is I often wished I had some sort of addiction or support group where I could belong. You really do have a sense of belonging when you are in a support group. I thought about a divorce support group but to be honest, I wasn't hurting that bad.

I don't know why I told that story. I suppose I'm realizing the importance of a clan/pack when things get bad. I think emotional support will also be very valuable. I think sharing laughter and tears are as important as sharing the work load. Or maybe I'm just missing my family tonight.  :shrug:

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I can understand your point, Jeepers.  Those in AA have a commonality right from the start.  And it's purpose is to dig into stuff.....not stay at the polite-social veneer.  So you get to know people ....admitting who they really are.  That takes a lot of time in normal meeting of folks.  Some people don't even KNOW who they really are...

I'm almost completely isolated at this time.  I can go 2 wks without interacting with anyone but DH in person.  I used to have a lot of time with church but I can't get there now.  I'm TRYING to spend more and more time with my folks.  With the cooler weather, I've been there at least weekly.  ...... :sigh: .....it's getting to be THAT time in their lives when we need to be in there a LOT.  My dad's memory is going on him and he's not happy about it.  Fear/Anger  When we go see them, they're happier.  We can do some things for them but it will soon be necessary to do more.  Assisted living isn't going to happen.  Moving isn't going to happen.   :sigh:  

So this isn't my time to get ready; get set; and go.  IF/When we move back near our kids....they come with a whole slew of friends/acquaintances.  Our girls grew up on Maui since middle school so that's a big group.  NOT all would be a survival support group.  Obviously.  And Maui is a very vulnerable place to be when the hooey hits fan.  Stop shipping and no goods get there.... 

But I just got home from folks' and finished Selco's article now.  I think it's one of his better ones! 

MtRider  :grouphug: 

• Like 2

I too want to move or sell. In one sense I have never been harmed here but.... I am a new comer..bought this place soon be 8 years ago. But this is not an accepting area. When I fell and broke my hip , I called one person I had helped more times than one. Yes she came and stayed with me till the ambulance came. From that point she has stayed away. My DD does not want to be around me and would prefer to put me in a nursing home. I am by no means ready for that. 

But I had canned goods, etc. I shop monthly but I have not been able to drive very far and have not done my monthly shopping these last 3 months. I am very thankful to have what I do on hand. Right now fever is my worst enemy.

Jeepers I think you are maybe a month older than me...sigh I know people 20 years older than me more spry. But then I was in good shape before this break..

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I'm sorry about your hip Twilight. I've fallen a couple of times in the last 5-6 years but I was very very fortunate that I didn't break anything. A couple of times it was in the garage on cement. The last time was just a month or two ago. I went straight down on my knee. I was 66 on 06-06.

The place I'm moving to is very cliquish. We lived there for over 20 years and was never really accepted. I thought it would be easer having a son in school and having him in sports etc. the entire school year, would help but it didn't. I even had a job in retail and that didn't make any difference.  The little town I'm moving to is even smaller than the one we left.

I know what you mean about kids being there for you. I imagine if I had a daughter we would bump heads. Mothers and sons are usually different somehow. I see it with my D-I-L too. I've seen the looks between her and her mom.

My plans are to make things as easy on myself as I can to relieve stress and worry on myself. And to stay in my own home as long as possible. Plan A is rely on myself. Plan B is to ask son for help. Plan C will be to order food from Amazon prime. Plan D will be to order from Wal-Mart and drive up and let them load it in my car...if that service is available.

I downgraded to a smaller one story house. There is too much carpet in there but it's brand new so I'll leave it until it gets stained and grubby then put in some wood/tile flooring to be walker friendly.

I learned to not rely on anyone but myself. Husband left and son up and moved to another state leaving me alone to handle everything. I don't really blame son because he left to be with his future wife and they gave me my grandson BUT he only gave me about a week notice so all yard work, home repairs and heavy lifting fell in my lap. I was too dependent on him. Now I try not to take anything for granted. Hard lessons are often the best learned.

Never in a million years did I think I'd be in this situation. Help is nice but at the end of the day you might be left to your own devises.

• Like 4

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.