MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Annarchy

Prepping for the “Golden Years”

I have been thinking how and why we prep. 

In the past, I prepped like tomorrow would be like today, but, as we all get older, what we did years ago isn’t realistic. 

Physical abilities determine what we can do and what we can’t do anymore. 

What tips/tricks do you use?  How have you changed your ideals/wants/needs.

I know I have begun to collect meds, pure foods, and oddly enough, cleaning supplies. 

• Like 4

With DH in not so good physical condition, go bags are important for a short term emergency but we will be sheltering in place as I'm not going anywhere without him if it is a long term issue.  I still have one bag with compass, fishing line, tent and other type of longer term bug outs but it is from years ago when I went on a bus to Darlene's get together.  That was one long bus ride from Deming, NM!

I still prep canned items and more hand operated items than I had before.  Have collected plenty of blankets and flu type supplies.  Still collect seeds when possible and we have the goats (if I could get them bred) for milk.  Focused more on what we (or I) can do now in this place rather than a place we can go.

• Like 3

On 5/16/2018 at 9:19 AM, snapshotmiki said:

That was one long bus ride from Deming, NM!

Had I decided to go with Mom to Phoenix this week, we'd have driven through Deming on our way there.   Not going because there's already too much going on at home.:cheeky-smiley-067:

• Like 2

Since I've gotten older I prep differently for sure. I prep mostly for sheltering in place. I'm not leaving my home unless it isn't safe to remain here. Such as fire or tornado etc.

I'm sort of in a state of flux right now. I want to move to another state but it isn't easy because I need to get rid of this house and buy another one. It's a logistics thing. Plus no help and depression can add to the problem. Not complaining...just explaining.

Anyway, I prep with the thought of not being to get out often doing routine shopping. Mainly toiletries and cleaning (toilet paper included) supplies. Also medicine (prescription and OTC) and food and everyday clothing. I also have extra fans and plenty of blankets and a couple of in-the-box heating pads. And lots of entertainment.

I try to imaging myself with the flu or a broken bone or minor surgery; and what I would need to survive for a month on my own with no car. Along those lines, I have bought "senior" aids like nightlights both upstairs and downstairs and bath tub/shower bars. Also one of those gripper things on a pole and a bedside potty. I still need to get a walker.

I really love my home canned foods. They are just like fast food only healthy. I can pop open a jar and microwave it and have a nice meal in less than 5 minutes. A little longer for a spaghetti dinner. Or I can heat it up on the stove in a saucepan.  

I still prep for long term too. But most of those things I already have.

Lets face it, I'm not going hunting, fishing or camping anytime soon. I can't take the heat and the cold hurts me.  

My goal is to get a smaller house, a bigger freezer and a loaded pantry of home canned food. I'd like to have a small solar setup so I could run a fan or heater and maybe a small fridge.

P.S.

Since I make frequent trips to Indy, my suitcase is always packed. I redo it when I get home so I don't have to mess with it before I leave again. I also have a tote bag all packed and ready to go incase I ever need to go to the hospital. All anyone would need to do is put the Kindle in it and bring it to me.

• Like 5

That’s exactly what I was thinking about. 

One thing MIL prepped for her and I, reading glasses. +3-5.  I need the 3’s for most fine stuff, sewing, seeing details and such, but the 5’s work for getting splinters out. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

By the way, I often see things like crutches, medical boots, and walkers at Goodwill.  Might be worth checking your local thrift stores for them.  And don't forget the shower chair.

Annarchy, I'll holler next time I'm headed out that direction.  Still have lots of relatives out that way, so Mom decides she needs to go every so often and if I'm not working, I play chauffeur (otherwise she flies).

• Like 3

On 5/18/2018 at 7:42 AM, TheCG said:

By the way, I often see things like crutches, medical boots, and walkers at Goodwill.  Might be worth checking your local thrift stores for them.  And don't forget the shower chair.

I stocked up on all those things from thrift stores/garage sales in the past 2 decades.  Some of them are ending up at my parents' house.  ;)   I've used many of them too.  We also give my folks gifts ahead of when they might need them. 

More medical diagnosing devices available for the general public.  This lets you know WHEN it really IS TIME to get medical help/ER.

--Oxygen and Pulse rate [pinch onto end of finger] meter

--blood sugar meter/strips ..... DH got during last summer's medical siege 

--ph strips for urine....checks [well DH knows what it checks] lol

--non-battery thermometer ...just got one and it's Celsius, drat! 

--decent blood pressure cuff/stethoscope

-DH has the thing to look in eyes, ears, and throat 

- ?

Of course I've always had a variety of ambulatory devices:

--Used the crutches last July

--Variety of canes, including quad-cane and :wub:  "seat cane"

......  .....remember extra rubber tips!

--Wheelchair....mine NEEDS to be replaced! 

..... .....remember extra tires/tubes

--Walker...now at my folks' house 

...  ....also pockets or trays to attach to carry stuff

--Electric scooter  [mine needs battery and tires]

--Gait belt  [much safer for assisting someone to stand/walk]

--hand carts/ 2-wheel dolly

--wagons, grocery haulers

--using levers and fulcrum!!! {good one to learn/remember}

--Grabbit reacher tool 

Other Equipment

--Bedside commode....if you aren't ambulatory quick enough!

-- bedpan, urinal, and ....something about a pilgrim  :scratchhead:  lol

---emesis basin

Cooling devices 

....gel packs with ice packs to keep them cooled

....hydrophilic cloth for evaporative cooling [brand name:  Chilly Towels, etc]

....packs with chemical cooling when capsule inside is broken

....old fashioned ice bags  [waterproof with screw on lid, large for ice cubes to be put inside]  :fever:

....fans - hand held, battery, electric

Warming devices

....heating pads

....reusable hot pads that activate with small metal disc [you snap it to activate- boil to dissolve crystals and reuse]

....cloth bag with rice, buckwheat, etc to heat in sun, microwave, etc

....hot smooth rocks

....hot water bottle

Vision and Hearing Aids

.....yessss!  More reader glasses are on my Walmart list too.  And higher magnification for splinters! :thumbs: 

.....a packet of 20 small LED flashlights  ....cuz we cannot seeee in the dusky corners anymore. Scatter them at Point Of Use!

....regular prescription glasses, a spare pair, night time YELLOW glasses, and daytime sunglasses  [older eyes bothered more by glare, etc]

....  ........AND the repair kit with tiny screwdrivers, screws, nose pieces, etc

Anyone know of decent non-prescription hearing aid besides a cows horn?  Eh?

.........hearing aids, many MANY extra batteries

Dental

--usual toothbrushes, dental pics, floss [floss device cuz of my lack of coordination]

--dental emergency repair...wax to fill in missing filling?

--whole cloves, clove oil for dental pain relief

--denture equipment/supplies....cleaning, fixing?  [I don't have dentures yet]

--

Medications that are more prevalent for older folks:

.....sleep aids

.....OTC pain relievers  A) naproxin and ibuprofen types [processed thru kidneys]  B )  acetaminophen types [processed thru liver  C) muscle ache creams

.....cold/flu

.....bowel/bladder control or relief

Supplies

....shove over the Tampax and bring in the Depends...  :buttercup: 

....chucks pads....waterproof bed protectors  [also for anyone who's sick]

Illness supplies

...Paper gowns, booties, hats

...Eye shields

....N95 masks

....Bucket with trash bags

...2 body bags  ....(I have 2 also and can be used for water proof ground cover for sleeping bag and with loops on corners/sides, it can be used for a stretcher - easier if you add poles)

Clothing adaptions

...velcro to replace buttons

....elastic to "fix" things for easier fit

...those non-skid sock things

....support or compression sox

....diabetic sox  [opposite of above]

.....eating bib or apron  ...(dang, I eat sitting in my bed often...and if I'm reclining just a bit for my back, I'm not leaning into a plate or bowl.  Soup is ridiculous!  ) 

.....slip on shoes/or easy-on velcro  

....LONG handled shoe horn

.....sock puller devices

.....bench to sit while putting on footwear/sox

....arch supports that slip into any footwear

Probably lots more.  Add to the list!

MtRider .....If I don't have these, it's on my ever-increasing Walmart list  :shopping:

Edited by Mt_Rider
adding more that is mentioned
  • Like 5

Oh, mannn,--has mine changed!  In two years, I will be surrounded by food unless the ambrosia beetle or something hits hard.  So food-from-outside focus has turned to carbs, particularly carbs that are easy to fix like dehydrated cooked angel hair pasta and various kinds of rice.  I have seeds of four kinds of rice too, though, and will be experimenting with planting those.  I gave away the dried beans that were still good, and ground the oldest ones to add to the scratch feed.  Once there's an actual garden, it will have corn and  lots of beans as well as the nightshades and crucifers and all.

Canning, which I really can't physically manage right now, is giving way  even in my thoughts to easier ways to put by, including fermenting,  freezing, and dehydrating.  The pressure canners are in the barn, not the kitchen.  I don't need fruits and vegetables to last a very long time because new food will be coming ripe every week or two.

Get this! I have a freeze dryer, but it was delivered to the wrong building. :scratchhead: To get to the place it needs to be, it has to be carried down some stairs and up some stairs.  Which I can't do.  Which DS1, who lives with me, can't do with HIS injured back.  I can't do anything except stare at the box and read other people's comments to store up some secondhand experience for later. :gaah:

I am working to get the back area back into a condition that I can call a pasture, so I can put some meat out to graze.  First step is bush-hogging and grinding up some of the water oak saplings and  overgrown wisteria vines into wood chips, which I can spread with mycelium and plant with nitrogen fixers.  Actually, bush-hogging is second step.  I've already scattered seed of sorghum, buckwheat, iron/clay peas, clover, and a few other items that should be nice and bulky and juicy in three weeks when the bush-hog comes through.  Lots of chop-and-drop organic matter and nutrients.  Give that a few weeks to settle, and if it's not too hot to breathe I'll scatter more of the same seeds. Plus  black sunflower seed, if I can find a bag small enough to lift that doesn't cost a fortune per ounce.  I understand this is a three-year project. Until then, I have barn stalls to clear out for producing manure and single-meal protein (cavy, bunny,  poultry, worms).

I am still working hard to try to regain the ability to walk home.  I can't do even a full mile without crying all through the last quarter mile and paying for it for days, but I can do a half a mile several times a day.  Minus recovery time and time to search for water, it'd be a two/three day hike home from work.  I need to be able to make it in one day (meaning one night in summer).  My chiro looks at me sideways when I say I need to be able to walk seven miles.  He's not going to say it's impossible because he's already seen me do things he didn't at all expect.

I have a clothesline again, a really conveniently placed one on the back porch right outside the laundry room. But I have no ability to lift a wet garment up to it.  Lowering it to waist level is on the list.  

The shower chair is something I never expected to need, since I've always been a bath person instead of a shower person, and who can't stand up for five minutes?  Now that shower chair is my best friend.  It has been ever since the day it took me more than twenty minutes to climb out of the tub  (by which time I was all sweaty and stinky again, of course).

Walking sticks are stocked  here and there and everywhere.  When I need it, I need it suddenly and badly.

Bug-out never was a top choice for me.  Now it's dead last choice.

Edited by Ambergris
  • Like 6

I thought I responded to this. I must have forgotten to hit the submit button.   :scratchhead:

Good idea haunting the thrift shops. Only thing I have in the walking aids line is a cane. I'd probably break my neck on crutches. I think I'd like one of those Rollators with the hand brakes and a seat. I forgot about a shower chair. Definitely need to put that on my list! 

I have all of the medical diagnostic equipment mentioned above and probably then some. I also have some cloth-ish exercise bands and lite hand weights for body strengthening. Also a lung strengthening device that measures how hard you can blow and measures it. Plus bedpan, urinal, emesis basin, pilgrim hat (urine catcher) etc. Protective mattress pads and disposable chux  pads.

I don't have an over-the-bed table but I do have a tray with two short legs bent in an "L" shape that fits between the mattresses. It might get in the way if it were on a twin size bed though. Don't know.  

I have 2 pair of those "as seen on TV" 20/20 glasses. They really do work pretty well for nearsighted people if you keep your head still. Good for an emergency. I also have those "as seen on TV" magnifying glasses. I bought them for craft work though. I have a few handheld magnifying glasses and here lately I've been using them often. I have a small one that lights up but the batteries don't last very long in it. 

Also putting cows horn on my list. LOL.  Professional hearing aids cost a  FORTUNE. Don't forget a dental repair kit.

I don't have any Depends yet. I do have panty liners though. And 1 box of tampons for bullet wounds. Just sayin'.

Meds...I'm covered.

Only other things I can think of are things I bought during Ebola.  :hi:

Paper gowns

Paper booties

Paper hats

Eye shields

N95 masks

Bucket with trash bags

2 body bags...Just sayin' again.

• Like 1

Ambergris, we were posting at the same time. :D

You are lucky you live in the south with your long growing season. I can still can food but I can't fill it with water and lift it to the stove. I have to fill and unfill it on the stove with a pitcher.

I'm leery about my beans too. I've heard if they get too old you can never get them to soften up even in a pressure cooker. I'd hate to have to depend on that so I'm not sure I'm going to long term store them any more. Maybe 10 pounds or so. I've decided to can my beans now. One year I grew Great Northern beans and they were easy to grow. When they were nice and dry, I pulled up the whole plant and "de-podded" (what's the word) them at my leisure.

You have a freeze dryer!!!!!!!! Oh man. You lucky girl. How to get it where you want it...hum. Got any college kids close by. What about that moving company called "Two Guys and a Truck". They are big dudes. Craig's List. Local newspaper advertising a handy man. Dang, we need to get you set up so you can report back to us. 

Would a cloths line pulley like the Amish use work? If it was put up on a diagonal? Pics below.

I have those little cheap Japanese folding fans everywhere. Upstairs, downstairs, garage, purse, car...I got a dozen of them online at Oriental Trading or something like that. A party supply store probably has them too. My internal thermostat just does not work right any more.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by Jeepers
Resized huge pictures
  • Like 2

OK.....I'm moving in next to Ambergris!!!!  :happy0203:  You are livin' my dream, girlfriend!  .....only, in my dreams I was a LOT younger!!!!  :0327:

Jeepers....are you kidding with those clothesline pics?  I thot they'd all be tucked discretely out in the back yard behind a hedge of bushes...like ours in Iowa.  I do like the pulley system tho. 

I'm adding suggestions on anything medical/adaptive to my LIST above  (I love lists).  I also added this category:

===================

Clothing adaptions

...Velcro to replace buttons

....elastic to "fix" things for easier fit

...those non-skid sock things

....support or compression sox

....diabetic sox  [opposite of above]

.....eating bib or apron  ...(dang, I eat sitting in my bed often...and if I'm reclining just a bit for my back, I'm not leaning into a plate or bowl.  Soup is ridiculous!  ) 

==================

MtRider  :clothesline:   

Edited by Mt_Rider
spellin'
  • Like 2

Pictures are real. I took them myself. First one in Lancaster county and the second one in Mifflin county. Both in PA. I took another one of Amish dresses on hangers on a clothesline drying on the porch. It saved a lot of room. Will post when I'm off of kindle. 

I don't have any bib aprons yet but I do have a chain with an alligator clip on either end so you can clip on a napkin or paper towel. Kind of like the eye glasses holder you wear around the neck. I just thought...making some bibs for it would be a good craft item to make. I'll bet there are patterns out there for making the bib aprons too. They could Velcro on behind the neck. Or button on if you can make button holes. I can't. I've tried many times.

I have a couple of pair of the compression socks. Like the ones you get in the hospital after surgery with the open toe. 

I saw a neat contraption a lady was using who has a broken hip. It was to help her put her socks on. I'm on the kindle right now and can't look it up but I will tomorrow and post it.

Slip on shoes is a good idea too. Open in the back so you can just step into them without messing with the heel. Like clogs. 

I hate typing on this thing. I didn't know auto correct was so crazy. 

• Like 2

Haven't been on here in a while. My preps are definitely changing. I have gotten so far behind, that I don't feel I am prepped at all right now. I had been out of work for about a year and used my supplies and emergency funds. My brother hit hard times and moved in and my income decreased and I had twice as many to support just when the price of everything went up. It did not allow me to rebuild my preps. At best I have about 2-3 weeks of supplies right now.  My household has changed. My one brother got a full time job and moved out with my younger brother and my daughter also got a part time job. I no longer am the sole support for everyone. I ended up concentrating on knowledge at the expense of supplies and did not do as well as I would like with that. However, now that I am restarting my preps, my focus is changing.

One reason  is I have developed more physical issues. I have had back and knee problems for years, but this past year and a half I have added a bad hip and the knee has gotten so bad, that I spent almost a week out of work because I couldn't even stand, let alone walk. I have started to worry about what I could handle.  A 92 year old lady that my daughter runs errands for and helps where ever she needs has added to this. She lives alone an has health issues and has fallen several times. We constantly worry if we don't hear from her that we will find her dead. Add to that last year I fell and hit my head. I ended up with 12 stitches.  Although I was not home alone, I was the only driver out of 4 adults and could not drive myself to get stitches. My older daughter's car was in the shop. We ended up calling her and she got a neighbor to drive her out so she could use my car to get me the help I need. All of that has contributed to the other big change, I have semi-retired. I can't handle a 40 work week anymore. I now work 3 days out of every two weeks. I find it is much better for me health wise.

This has led to me changing how I look at prepping. First of all, I am considering moving to town. I currently live out of town with my younger daughter. She doesn't drive, so if I was unable to drive us, we would be stuck. Half of me would love to get a place near my older daughter so we could help each other out. She is recently divorced and as she is now a single mom, having help available would be useful. ( I am not sure I want to live that close to the grandkids. Full time around them might drive me crazy.) Because of my physical limitations as I have gotten older and my body has started to fall apart, I am looking at prepping differently. I am never going to be able to carry much with me if I had to bug out, So I have to focus at shelter in place. In fact just yesterday a simple thing of an escalator defeated me. I am stiff and unsteady every time I stand up. The escalator was moving so fast, I couldn't safely step on to it. They have never been a problem for me before. Mowing my lawn took me 3 days ( about an acre) and left me so sore I couldn't move afterwards. So physically, what will I be able to handle. I am looking at step saving methods that limit my lifting, bending over or stooping to long and realistically, I would have to figure where to hide until danger was past rather than flee. I wouldn't make it if I have to bug out fast and would slow everyone else down.

So as I have gotten older, I know I need to do the following:

1. associate with a group with varied ages so that there are people that can focus on the more physically demanding job. Develop a better support      system

2. Allow more time to do everything. That mowing job would have taken much less time for a younger more physically fit person.

3. Concentrate on staying put safely instead of bugging out. Bugging out is definitely a last resort.

4. Develop useful skills so that I am an asset to any group I am with.

5. Encourage others to prep so that more people near me are ready if something happens.

6. Accept that I might need help and will not be able to do it all on my own.

7. A big one is to concentrate on areas of weakness and find ways to compensate for my physical limitations and find a better way to accomplish tasks that needs to be done.  That means looking into ways I can keep use of power so that I have the ability to keep doing everything from cooking to  cutting wood without the expense of my energy.

I know I do not have the ability to do a lot of the things necessary to survive on my own. I have to improve my physical ability to my maximum potential, but to find ways to adapt and survive with my shortcomings that I can not change. I can not magically make my knees, back or hips work again. I have to accept that I may have to carry a couple or even one thing at a time because I no longer have the strength, physical dexterity or even the mental acuity that I had when I was younger and before my job did the damage that has been done to my body. I need help, can not do it on my own and need to focus on the most efficient use of my time and abilities. Now, how I am going to accomplish all I need to do is another matter. I am now on a fixed income and realistically have to accept that I may become a dependent with in the next 10 years or I could be one of those 100 year olds someday that people are amazed by how well they are doing. I think in shorter terms now though, because I know there will come a day when I won't be able to do as much as I want. I is just that I need to think about health and physical issues more now and make plans to how I can be the most useful with my current abilities. On the other hand, being older does not mean helpless or useless.  I still have  a lot to contribute to a group and need to concentrate on where I can and not on what I can not do.

• Like 5

:hi: Deb2of9. 

Excellent ideas, everyone. You’ve added stuff to my list. :happy0203:

A will, as Jeepers says, “Just saying...”

Fold up hand carts and hand trucks for big things. Those have been a major help to me.  I bungee cord a milk carton crate on them to carry my groceries from the car to the house.  I first crushed my back when I was 11 years old. My doc gave me some sage advise how to keep going and survive into “old age”, #1 was, I was ordered NOT to lift anything over 5 lbs. “Really!?!”  A gallon of liquid weights appx. 7 lbs.   When I herniated a bunch of discs and developed osteoporosis, degenerative discs, & scoliosis, things got much harder to do. I learned, fulcrums & pivots, from a frail old man that was filling his truck with huge logs. Amazing person, he took the time to educate me. 

I, too, fill and empty my canner with a pitcher. 

Our bug out bags have wheels, but, we keep the vehicles going, full of gas and ready, because I would be hard pressed to have to walk. Especially in our heat. SIP, is our main course of action. 

Walking sticks are strategically placed in the yard.  

Extended grabbing tools lets me pick up things, so I don’t have to bend over. MIL loves hers. She keeps pliers in her silverware drawer for opening things and has one of those “as seen on TV” jar lid openers. 

Ear buds, head phones for talking on the phone or listening to TV. Some catalogs have inexpensive hearing aids. Yes, they ARE very expensive!  MIL needed one fixed, and checked into a new set, over $8,000. Yikes!

oh, geeze, Ambergris, I can’t wait to hear how your freeze dryer works. I want one.... :bow:

Going to update my list.....

• Like 4

:thumbs:  EXCELLENT response to this "getting older" issue we all have, Deb2!  There is a lot to think about....and try to anticipate.  I think you have stated it very clearly.  Especially your point #7.   Due to MS, I began this before I was 40 yrs old.  It's a long road and it continues to foment CHANGES we don't want...but must deal with.  Glad to hear from you and hope you succeed in finding more and more answers to adaption.  Sorry to hear of your head injury...OW!

LOL...Jeepers.  I sure would have taken a photo of those too.  Odd...but with large families and farming, the Amish have a lot of laundry.  I've hung shirts, etc on clothes hangers when I was attempting to have less wrinkles.  But our WIND doesn't allow that very often.  Even if I clothespin the hanger to the clothesline, gets ripped right off.  Hmph.

I have a collection of hand fans.  Iffen I'm gonna "collect" it's got to be usable!  I have one from a trip to an island nation.  I have one from Africa [but I didn't travel there].  Others made from INTERESTING recycled items.  And yes, I do use them.  Remember the ones that used to be in the back of the pews in churches....before air-conditioning?  Old memories...

Shoes!!!!  Good topic.  I've always been one to slip in and out of shoes without using the ties.  But then....I wear shoes that are not firmly secured to my feet.  I've always worn them at least a size larger.....but I can't actually say WHY I've done this.  They do not come off my feet tho.  :shrug:  Anyway, I have fallen in LOVE with the Croc shoes.  They are spongy comfortable and that material grips the surface quite well.  The slip on/off aspect helps my back and ENERGY!  Being from both Iowa and Hawaii.....we ALWAYS take shoes off when coming in the door.  In Iowa for dirt and dirtier stuff.  In Hawaii cuz of sand.  Saves cleaning floors .....which is a reduction of work.  [for those of you in micro-cultures who do not take off your shoes]  I've just been thinking of picking up more pairs of Croc type shoes.....so I have a supply.  [for when they go out of style or post-hooey]  I have a pair by both doors and as a spare in the vehicles. 

In aging, some folks will need to upgrade their support in footwear tho....  YMMV so think of what your aging feet would need.  I've been wearing slip-in arch supports for decades.  [chiro husband's idea]  That has really helped my feet as I move from young to middle to older.  Any other ideas on aging feet?  OH.......get one of those extra long shoe horns so you don't have to TRY to bend over when putting on footwear!  Miles Kimball and that sort of catalog has them.  A bench/chair by the door helps too.  We do NOT need to be falling while putting on shoes....especially in Post Hooey!

MtRider  ....glad for summer and my Crocs  :) 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 3

Great post Deb2of 9. Nice to see you on again! I feel like I'm dealing with the same physical limitations as you are. The aches and pains seem to come out of nowhere more and more every day. I'm the least prepared as I have ever been. I'm trying to whittle things down a little and not replacing things in case I get to move soon.

I've been second guessing about where to move too. As a senior woman living alone I just don't think it's prudent for me to be 'out in the sticks' anymore. I don't want to be right on top of anyone but I do want easy access to fire, police, ambulance etc. I'm not ready to be put out to pasture yet (well, actually that does sound pretty nice) but with age also comes some wisdom.

Speaking of fans, when we were in grade school (no air conditioning back then) we would take a piece of notebook paper and fold it like an accordion and then fold one end of it down about 1-2 inches and splay it open fan shaped. Worked great for little hands. I had forgotten about that until just now. I remember those church fans. The funeral homes used to hand them out too for advertisement. It would be easy to make one of those. A piece from a cardboard box and paint stir stick. Glue or duct tape I suppose.

I still haven't tackled my balance issues. I still stand on one leg to put my jeans/shorts on and I wobble around doing the same dance putting my shoes on. I really need to stop doing that and take the extra few seconds to sit down and do it.

I massage my feet often. I'm not sure about (what's the word for pressure points? Not acupressure or reiki...sigh) but it sure feels good.

I love my Crocs too!  I have the clogs and a pair of slip on Croc sandals that feel like you're wearing nothing. I have Crocs and the knock off brand and I really can't tell the difference...except in price. I take my shoes off as soon as I get inside too. It was in our housing lease that we had to in Japan and it just stuck. 99.9% of the time if I'm in the house I'm bare foot. I hate anything on my feet.

Hardwood floors would sure be a lot easier to 'Swiffer' rather than running a vacuum over carpets too. Something to think about in my 'forever home'. If I ever get one.

1. The dresses was in Lancaster county.

2. The sock putter on-er. You put you sock over it, slip your foot in and pull it up. Google sock aid for other styles.

1.jpg

images.jpg

Will post pic of the sock thingy later. My computer is freezing up. Got it. Love/hate my computer.

Edited by Jeepers
Computer issues.
  • Like 3

Before I moved in to this place, I had the carpets ripped up and vinyl flooring put down.  Looks nice, and is much easier to keep clean.

Welcome back, Deb!

I'll probably do that too Ambergris. I said hardwood but I meant wood, woodlike, tile, vinyl etc.

• Like 1

You know looking at the list everyone has here made me think of something and not being prepared. Years ago my daughter ended up in a wheel chair for about 6 months. I don't think she has the wheel chair anymore, but could be wrong. She got it from the local Hospice store for a dollar, but was supposed to return it when done with it in case someone else needed it. From there she moved to a walker. I bought one of those nice wheeled walkers with the seat and a basket to carry stuff for her, with the understanding it went to me when she was done with it. About 4 years before that I bought a cane because my knee sometimes doesn't work right. Fast forward about 6 years. Walker is in the shed and who knows where the cane has disappeared to. I hadn't used it in 5 or 6 years. My knees and one hip are getting way worse. My chronic back pain has started to interfere with daily activities on a daily basis. I can no longer lift a lot or do a lot of the work I usually could. I have even given up kneeling at church because I just can't move and have severe pain if I Kneel more than about 5 or 10 minutes. ( Face it, I can't after sitting too long either. ) Well one day I had to reach to the other side of my bed for something. Instead of going around I knelt on the bed to allow me to reach across. When I went to stand up I could not put any weight on my left leg. For the next week, I could not go to work because I could not even stand unassisted. That first day, I was there alone. I couldn't find my cane and it wouldn't have done a lot of good because the bad him is on the opposite side so I needed support on both side. I could put no weight on the left and only partial weight on the right. I ended up using two walking sticks to hop around the house until my daughter was able to go to the shed to dig out the walker. Not only would I have not been able to stand to dig through the shed, I needed to get down 5 steps to even get out of the house. I bought another cane that is one of those ones with a wider base than a normal cane ( but not a quad cane,) for when I could get around a little better after a day or two. 

So the lesson is, not only to have supplies that you need but to also make sure that you can access them if needed. I live in a trailer so it wasn't practical to store the walker in the house due to space. However, it is now kept in the house. I no longer trust my legs to get me up and down. The cane usually stays with me just in case I need it. Of course, I could have used it yesterday, but is it with me. Of course not, I went out of town and left it at home. 

I have another item to add to the list. After my daughter's injury, I started to keep a gait belt with me. I have one from work, but also found they have something similar in yoga supplies to help maintain position. pulling on clothing to assist someone to stand is not good. Lifting up under the arms can cause damage and a  gait belt allows you to help someone balance when the walk on their own. My daughter lives in a split level, so once she could walk we needed to be able to get her up and down stairs. A gait belt is invaluable and can be used as a binding strap as well to keep a stack together when carrying something. A very practical item. I have one in the house and one in my car.

• Like 2

Oh I also suggest supplies to make a ramp if needed so someone who can't use stairs easily can get up and down and I have added a portable hand dolly and a wheeled clothes basket so I don't have to carry loads. I even can pull the wheeled basket across the lawn to hang clothes. 

• Like 2

I've marked out the ground where my two ramps will go.  Just need the money.

As a 30 year cane user, I always have Point Of Use storage of certain tools

Hammers ....they're cheap [garage sales] and I have one in each vehicle [for repair down in barnyard], and upstairs/downstairs.  There is always some thing that is coming apart and needs a whack.

Canes are another tool.  I began to store a cane in the vehicles long ago.  Went to a funeral for a good friend :(  In the distress, unbelievably, I forgot to bring a cane.  Terror....cuz trying to stay upright in a milling crowd of people is the worst.  Even holding onto DH's arm.  After the service, I found a corner and stayed there. 

Now I stick my old canes in odd places.  All the vehicles.  The old van down in barnyard is used to pull the horse trailer for hay....but it's also a tool shed and emergency shelter if I get stuck down there. 

'Walking sticks'  as some have mentioned.  I also have 'walking sticks' alllllll over the property.  Any dead aspen sapling becomes a walking stick and is leaning against something.  Cuz I leave a cane behind when I'm carrying something...... :scratchhead: .....and where did I put it?  I use walking stick to get back to the cane....

Hairbrushes....not that I lose the one in the bathroom...but it's handy to have in bedroom and Going Into Town bag, etc. 

Reading Glasses....  they are also cheap and tucked everywhere.  In vehicles -also a pair of sunglasses [I'm terribly light sensitive!].  In bedroom.  By my chair for reading in living room.  In kitchen to see what I'm chopping/recipes.  Might even have a pair in the old van.  Spares in EVERY BOB and bag I haul for emergency.  And in the Quick Grab - overnite at my folks.  I'm way too close-up blind  to be without a pair.

Energy bars... Same as eyeglasses

Nuprin...Same as above.  It's my "Fix what ails me" medication.

Bandaids....another First Aid item that I keep stashed everywhere

Other Point Of Use items???

==================

I love the idea of ramps as a prep in these years.  My house isn't exactly set for that.  But when needed, one piece of dog fence can be easily unhooked and something rolled up the hill to the back door.  House is inset into steep hill and backdoor is ground level.  Front is 15 steps. 

Our new system of pulling up groceries from the car  [in front of house....15 steps] with a rope has worked very well.  Except a week ago I pulled back muscles doing that.  Easy improvement to avoid injury is attach small pulley to log beam above and NOT REACH BELOW to the next knot in the rope.  Will be setting up the improved system ...today?  :rolleyes: 

MtRider .....wow, new ideas here!  :grouphug: 

• Like 1

Yes, having things handy is important too. My long term 'incase I need it' supplies are either in the basement or the garage...somewhere. I have no outside storage at all.

I bought a little pre assembled tool kit for just under $20.00. It has things like a hammer, a couple of screw drivers, razor knife, pliers etc. It isn't very big but it's just right to have upstairs when I need a quick fix for something. The tools are cheap but as I said, it's for a quick lite fix. I learned that lesson a couple of times when I went to change out some batteries and there was a small screw on the lid you had to remove before you could get to the batteries. Why do they do that?!  I had to go down stairs, out into the garage to get a screwdriver and back up the stairs to change the batteries. Returning the screwdriver waited until another day or that would have been another ordeal going up and back down the stairs. Same thing happened when I needed a pair of pliers for a quick pull job. Now I have some little fix-it tools upstairs in the closet. I keep some light bulbs and batteries upstairs too.

I have Advil upstairs, downstairs, bedside, chair side, purse and car. I really don't take them that often but when I feel the first twinges of pain sometimes I can minimize it if I can get ahead of it.

If I ever get a first floor laundry I plan to have my laundry baskets on wheels too. I saw a nice one in a catalog that was like a cart with 3 divided sections. You could sort your dirty clothes as soon as you took them off and just wheel them all to the laundry area at the end of the week or when ever. They had a 2 section one too. Have you ever seen the shopping baskets at Michael's craft store? They are like a big hand held basket but they also have wheels on them with a retractable handle. So you can carry them or pull them around. I don't think all Michael's have them though. I like them.

I'll need one of those wire basket things on 2 wheels for carrying in groceries etc. before long. I can see where it would be useful for toting other things too. Right now I'm just loading up my arms with plastic bags and carrying them in. I have to go up 3 steps to get from the garage into the house. I then have to go around 2 corners past a door that will not stay open. Two arms loaded with groceries and going up those 3 steps is hard on the back and legs. Only other alternative is to make 3-4 trips with lighter loads but that is just as daunting. I'd rather get it over with. A little wagon would be cute but it would be harder to manage the steps and it would take up more room for storage.

• Like 1

Speaking of ramps, I was thinking about that one not long ago. My left knee is starting to bother me a lot.

I have to take only one step down into the family room. I'm in that room most of the time. When I need to go into the kitchen or bathroom or go upstairs to the bedroom for the night, I have to use that step. It's killing me. It hurts my knee to go up that step but coming down that step is sooo painful. I really dread that step. It's whipping me.

I'm not sure what to do about it. I thought about a temporary little ramp there. Or maybe get one of those short exercise steps to use so there would be 2 short steps instead of the one.

It seems like using a whole flight of steps is less painful on my knee than that one step. It hurts worse coming down it than going up. Sometimes I think it is hurting me worse because I'm thinking about it so much every time I get ready to use it. Anticipation. I tried stepping down with the other foot first but it didn't help. Something needs to give before long because it really hurts and there is no way to avoid it.

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.