MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Annarchy

Prepping for the “Golden Years”

The only other thing I can think of at this time, is, I always ask the cashiers to bag my stuff lightly, and if I have heavy stuff, I ask for assistance. There’s no vanity here, when it comes to having someone else do what I can’t. 

I've had to ask for help at the hardware type stores plenty of times. I've always found them more than happy to help. Especially those young stock boys. They can hoss stuff around and not think anything about it.

I really need to get over not asking for help more often though. I'm not embarrassed to ask but if I get help then I think I'm perceived as lazy. I hate that. I think it's a carry over from my growing up days when I heard the family talking about so-and-so being lazy. Sigh. And all of the women in my family took such pride in the care of their house and yard. Except for one aunt. She was the "lazy" one. Bless her heart.

I keep telling my parents:  If you forget to tell them to bag stuff lightly, carry extra bags in your truck and redo it before carrying them up your stairs to kitchen from garage!  They buy a lot of liquids....milk, tiny soda cans, juice, etc.  Those are HEAVY!!  And we surely all have plenty of extra grocery bags....

As for that "lazy...good-for-nothin'" label inside our heads......  :sassing:   It's in the genetic code of all the German-ancestry folk in the community I grew up with.   Er, well...95% of them!   It was EVER SO HARD for me to become disabled young... [sit - around - not - working - doing - nothin' - wantin' - to - have - my - life  - back - and - still - BE - SOMEBODY!!!]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 'Course by the time I've reached the "older" category...pffft, piece of cake.  Already BTDT and have the tangled thots/emotions straightened out.  Illegitimate/illogical thot patterns have been shown the door.  [ahem, ...mostly]   I certainly DO understand that train of thot but please begin to recognize what it is....illegitimate.  Oh, it DOES legitimately fit some folks.  Seems like too many folks in this era.  But here's my rule that I've shared with many other disabled folks:  

If you're worried that maybe you're just bein' LAZY......You.  Are.  Not.   Cuz truly LAZY folks certainly don't worry about it.  Right?

And as for what others may think......  :shrug:  Not sure most would notice or care. 

:dusting:    :dishes:    :shopping:   :clothesline:      :canning:    :lois:    :cook:   

MtRider  ....got way more folks around here guilty of 'OVERWORKING' than 'lazy' on this board, for sure  :grouphug:  

• Like 2

On 5/18/2018 at 3:37 PM, Mt_Rider said:

....chucks pads....waterproof bed protectors  [also for anyone who's sick]

To be "thrifty," buy puppy training pads from discount/dollar stores. :lol:

• Like 3

On 5/19/2018 at 8:21 AM, Deb2of9 said:

my younger daughter. She doesn't drive,

You need to teach her HOW. Getting a license isn't really necessary, but she really needs to know how to drive in case of an emergency!  :wacko:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jeepers said:

A little wagon would be cute but it would be harder to manage the steps and it would take up more room for storage.

Who said you have to bring the wagon to the groceries instead of taking the groceries to the wagon.  :misc-smiley-231:  

Keep the wagon at the top of the steps and make short trips up with the grocery bags and load it. Once all your groceries are in it, THEN take it inside. :P

• Like 2

Hee-hee. I meant storing the wagon when not in use would take up more storage area than one of those carts.

I've seen those two wheel carts with triangle wheels meant for going up steps. That would be nice if you just have to go up a couple of steps from garage to house or front door to house.

I Googled. They are calling them utility carts. I figured 'grocery cart' was the wrong description. Sigh.

Looks like you can use this one as a dolly too.

Wheels.png

• Like 1

That one looks sturdy, Jeepers.   I don't have any of the triangular wheeled ones...yet...  ;)

But I have a large one with good basket capacity and larger wheels.  It rides in my truck.  Purpose:  If I ever have to EVAC and then have to walk....it carries E-stuff from truck.  Have had tooooo many close calls with wildfire EVAC. 

I also have 2 of the small, versatile two-wheel dolly things.  I use for moving stuff around the garage.  VERY helpful. 

I have a tiny dolly too....have my town Just/in/Case bag on that.  In lieu of a rolling backpack. 

None of them do our stairs well, but it would help with getting home....or evac. 

MtRider  :shopping: 

• Like 1

I saw that one on the Sears web site. I have a little dolly that folds flat. It wouldn't carry very much though. Maybe about 4 cases of water or a couple of full trash bags to the curb.

I needed some big garbage bags awhile back. I bought some of those contractor bags. Wow, those things are huge. I had no idea. No way could I fill them even 1/3 way full and lift them. Not sure what I was thinking. Those things are nearly 5 foot long.

But they made really good covers for 5 gallon buckets. Put 2 side by side and stack them 3-4 buckets high and they are perfect. They keep the light out and dust off of the buckets. They also hide them!  I wouldn't have bought them for that but since I already had them, I use them to cover (hide) my buckets.

• Like 2

I tried covering a stack of buckets in the basement/garage with black trash bags ....keep dust off.  Unfortunately the mice decided it was a cozy place to hide, chew, poo....  :motz_6:  So now I'm trying to figure out a different method of dust covers.  Maybe taped down so they can't get up underneath? 

MtRider :pc_coffee: 

• Sad 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.