MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Annarchy

Prepping for the “Golden Years”

Cowgirl  :hi:

It's wonderful to see you posting! I hope you stay around!

Sounds like you guys are in the same kind of boat as the rest of us. I don't know if the younger generation isn't interested in preparing or we are just an aging society. Or maybe some of us realized that bugging out is not going to be an option physically. And losing these creature comforts would make life pretty miserable so we might as well build up what we have and try to keep it stocked.  :shrug:

People die or divorce or move on so we (women in particular) had better learn how to maintain our lifestyle as much as possible. I'm saying that because, other than BTDT, I just saw where a couple of Youtubers I thought were solid have divorced and one husband was killed on the farm.

One was Linda's Pantry. They divorced and had to sell the house. She had a new partner pretty quickly though.

Another one that shocked me was Starry Hilder. They were off grid and living the dream in Idaho. He got the homestead and she is in a tiny apartment.

Sorry I can't remember the website where the guy died do to a farming accident.

Well, aren't I just full of sunshine and rainbows. :008Laughing:

Just saying to think about all aspects of preparing and sometimes put yourself first. Like in an airplane when they tell you to put your oxygen mask on first so you can help others.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Just saying to think about all aspects of preparing and sometimes put yourself first. Like in an airplane when they tell you to put your oxygen mask on first so you can help others.

I think that's a very GOOD way of describing a reality that "nice" people sometimes just can't get...  :scratchhead:  Folks might think we're mean to be plain logical.  But ya do have to do for you and yours first.  Sharing out so much that everyone has a spoonful ...  doesn't make sense.  

Cowgirl!!!!!  :wave:  Long time since you've made a post.  Glad to hear a bit of update for you and your dh.  I like your reinforced fence...with thorny edibles!  :thumbs:  If your next generations arrive...do they have campers/RVs or something so you'd all fit?  I think about that a lot ....but only if HI would have to be evacuated.  Otherwise our kids/Grkids would not be here.

MtRider  ....don't be a stranger! 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

I think that's a very GOOD way of describing a reality that "nice" people sometimes just can't get...  :scratchhead:  Folks might think we're mean to be plain logical.  But ya do have to do for you and yours first.  Sharing out so much that everyone has a spoonful ...  doesn't make sense.  

Cowgirl!!!!!  :wave:  Long time since you've made a post.  Glad to hear a bit of update for you and your dh.  I like your reinforced fence...with thorny edibles!  :thumbs:  If your next generations arrive...do they have campers/RVs or something so you'd all fit?  I think about that a lot ....but only if HI would have to be evacuated.  Otherwise our kids/Grkids would not be here.

MtRider  ....don't be a stranger! 

Thanks for the welcome back!

We all have to prepare ourselves for any possibility. No one wants to think about divorce or death of a spouse, but really we ought to prepare with those scenarios in mind also. In all honesty I am not well prepared along those lines.

As to how we would deal with hosting kids and grandkids during a crisis — We have 3 bedrooms and 2 full bathrooms and can fit some of the family very comfortably. One daughter and her husband-to-be have a 5th wheel also. In an absolute SHTF crisis where everyone ran here, we have additional space in the garage (our house is half the size of our old house, but we have a 4+ car garage and 2 large barns) that could be fairly easily converted to living space also.

• Like 3

On 5/19/2018 at 2:34 PM, Mt_Rider said:

:thumbs:  EXCELLENT response to this "getting older" issue we all have, Deb2!  There is a lot to think about....and try to anticipate.  I think you have stated it very clearly.  Especially your point #7.   Due to MS, I began this before I was 40 yrs old.  It's a long road and it continues to foment CHANGES we don't want...but must deal with.  Glad to hear from you and hope you succeed in finding more and more answers to adaption.  Sorry to hear of your head injury...OW!

LOL...Jeepers.  I sure would have taken a photo of those too.  Odd...but with large families and farming, the Amish have a lot of laundry.  I've hung shirts, etc on clothes hangers when I was attempting to have less wrinkles.  But our WIND doesn't allow that very often.  Even if I clothespin the hanger to the clothesline, gets ripped right off.  Hmph.

I have a collection of hand fans.  Iffen I'm gonna "collect" it's got to be usable!  I have one from a trip to an island nation.  I have one from Africa [but I didn't travel there].  Others made from INTERESTING recycled items.  And yes, I do use them.  Remember the ones that used to be in the back of the pews in churches....before air-conditioning?  Old memories...

Shoes!!!!  Good topic.  I've always been one to slip in and out of shoes without using the ties.  But then....I wear shoes that are not firmly secured to my feet.  I've always worn them at least a size larger.....but I can't actually say WHY I've done this.  They do not come off my feet tho.  :shrug:  Anyway, I have fallen in LOVE with the Croc shoes.  They are spongy comfortable and that material grips the surface quite well.  The slip on/off aspect helps my back and ENERGY!  Being from both Iowa and Hawaii.....we ALWAYS take shoes off when coming in the door.  In Iowa for dirt and dirtier stuff.  In Hawaii cuz of sand.  Saves cleaning floors .....which is a reduction of work.  [for those of you in micro-cultures who do not take off your shoes]  I've just been thinking of picking up more pairs of Croc type shoes.....so I have a supply.  [for when they go out of style or post-hooey]  I have a pair by both doors and as a spare in the vehicles. 

In aging, some folks will need to upgrade their support in footwear tho....  YMMV so think of what your aging feet would need.  I've been wearing slip-in arch supports for decades.  [chiro husband's idea]  That has really helped my feet as I move from young to middle to older.  Any other ideas on aging feet?  OH.......get one of those extra long shoe horns so you don't have to TRY to bend over when putting on footwear!  Miles Kimball and that sort of catalog has them.  A bench/chair by the door helps too.  We do NOT need to be falling while putting on shoes....especially in Post Hooey!

MtRider  ....glad for summer and my Crocs  :) 

Shoes. Oh dear.

So, about 18 months ago I injured the tendons in my foot when I picked up a heavy box and tried to carry it. My arms and back managed, but the tendon in my foot did not. And that is how I learned much about plantar fasciitis. OUCH!

My doctor gave me physical therapy exercises to do, but meanwhile walking was sooooo painful. Those foam inserts for shoes that I bought at the drug store helped a little, but not much. Finally, in desperation I drove to the city and went to a shoe store that advertised being able to help with foot problems. They actually had VERY knowledgeable staff and a wide selection of quality shoes. I spent perhaps 2 hours being fitted for and trying out shoes. $500 later I left with quality dress and casual shoes. It was shockingly expensive! But I was able to walk comfortably for the first time in months. Since then I have been back to walking at least a mile every evening as I used to do before my injury. That walking had been sadly missed in the months following my injury!

So, footwear and foot care are something I am now acutely aware of. Adding extra quality footwear in case of injury hasn’t been in my budget, but I would like to have extra pairs, at least of the casual shoes, just in case, and that is on my list.

I have not tried Crocs. They sound nice.

• Like 2

Yep, I've had polk-a-dot tootsies after yard work too.  :008Laughing:

Crocs are nice if you are working outside with a water hose because they are water proof and also keep you from sliding on slippery wet surfaces.

Edited by Jeepers
Added a thought
  • Like 2

Ah. They sound similar to these surprisingly cushy shoes I found at TSC, which I slip on to go feed or for a little garden work. Waterproof. Good traction. Decent summer chore shoe. There are times for work boots, but these are great for the times when work boots are overkill.

36C795B5-3CF3-44CF-986B-F608E00D6AC5.thumb.jpeg.b0359cd5ab25e08154b34f1c83d34b1c.jpeg

• Like 2

On 6/18/2018 at 11:21 AM, Cowgirl said:

Ah. They sound similar to these surprisingly cushy shoes I found at TSC, which I slip on to go feed or for a little garden work. Waterproof. Good traction. Decent summer chore shoe. There are times for work boots, but these are great for the times when work boots are overkill.

36C795B5-3CF3-44CF-986B-F608E00D6AC5.thumb.jpeg.b0359cd5ab25e08154b34f1c83d34b1c.jpeg

Both of us have a pair of "Mucks" ...just the shoe and they're wonderful for anything wet or dirty.  Just a quick rinse and you can dry them with a towel.

• Like 1

Our future orthopedic issues is one of the reasons we are working so hard to set up our new place asap while we still can move and do stuff.  The raised bed gardens have a 3 foot center aisle to allow for future wheelchairs or scooters, for example.  Planting dwarf fruit trees & shrubs instead of those that need a ladder to harvest.  In the planning stage is a work area in our car port with a sturdy support frame with PULLEYS so we do not have to kill ourselves lifting things, like game carcasses for butchering, or lawn mowers for maintenance.  Also getting electricity wired into the car port, so we can plug in an extra freezer and also the RV (in case someone stops by and wants to stay in the 'guest house' for more privacy.  Of course we keep the RV  propane tanks filled, so if we lose power here in the heat of the summer, we simply adjourn to said 'guest house' which has a generator for AC, a propane refrigerator/freezer and a propane stove.  All the comforts, right down to Satellite TV (THAT cost us, but was worth it) and hot showers.  Just fire up ye old genny!   Not to mention I still want that above ground storm shelter I told you ladies about, but I have to save up for it.  

This winter we plan to do some forestry management in our 'wild' lower spot, near the creek.  Same reason - to get things set up while we can still manage most of the labor (even if we do 'cheat' and utilize power equipment for efficiency).   Getting older requires more pre-planning to maximize energy, ability and resources (and makes me nostalgic for the 'olden days' when I was in my 20s, 30s, and 40s and could just go do things on the spur of the moment!)  So we will clear a sitting area, a fire pit, and plant our guerilla garden in scattered 'naturalized' plantings.  Not to mention, clear a wide enough path down there for said 'scooter' access if needed in the future!   Getting old ain't for sissies, but it DOES require more pre-planning.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 4

@kappydell I have been trying to convince DH that we need to do more with pulleys, as my back gives me issues when we try to move things we used to move more easily. That pesky old back injury haunts me, but I don’t want surgery. So I am going to show him this post.

I too have been trying to set up this homestead to be more elderly friendly - wide rows between raised beds, dwarf trees, etc. We store hay on the ground on pallets here, rather than in a loft like we used to have at our old place. Having a one level house has been so nice already due to an old knee injury (I have had a few old injuries- I took the screen name Cowgirl for a reason :happy0203:). We also want an above ground storm shelter. We have one priced out and we are saving up for that purchase. We want one big enough for us and any guests, so the plan is an 8x10 storm shelter. That is a BIG but very important prep in this area, and as we get older, crawling into the crawl space is getting MUCH more difficult - I really don’t think DH can do it now, and so I want to get it this year, if we can manage. The above ground shelter is handicapped accessible.

Your RV setup sounds fantastic - a nice backup. And a nice bug out vehicle too, I imagine. Our bug out is a Suburban and horse trailer, so much less comfy.

Handicapped-Accessible storm shelter.   :blink:  Uh, yeah.  Good idea!

I remember as a child tearing down the rickety open stairs to the basement when we thot a tornado was a'comin'.  Third step from bottom was missing.  Not safely accessible at all...with short little child legs.  Looking back, I have NO idea why my completely able and usually careful dad never fixed that!  :scratchhead:  Probably forgot it until the next time we headed for shelter  :twister3:

Our current 15 steps are also open .....meaning no board on the back of each step.  But not nearly as steeeep as the old farm house but they are OUTSIDE.  Hand rails on both sides help.    Then one must dash under the porch and into the basement/garage underneath cabin.  You'd better time it right if you're going to take shelter there.  During the storm is no time to be deciding to make that complicated dash for BETTER SHELTER.  :grinning-smiley-044:  Ya don't wanna break your neck while getting to safety! 

As for pulleys, I've probably mentioned we fortunately have log beams high above the porch.  Secured a small pulley to one and can now lift without my back, the grocery sacks and other things that come and go to the car.  One loads the carabiner at the bottom and the other pulls them up, unhitches and sends the end back down again.  [don't drop end of rope/carabiner on top of your partner]  Or load from top and slowly drop it down.  Anything too awkward gets carried up/down the stairs.  Saves an enormous amount of energy!

MtRider   ......Cowgirl wants big storm shelter so she can pull her horse inside too!  ;)

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2

@Mt_Rider LOL yes, I have told my husband that the 8x10 could hold the cats, the dogs, the horse ... and us. He commented that it could also hold the kids and grandkids if they happened to be visiting during a storm. So we do have a good “human excuse” for the larger unit. But yes the horse would fit! :happy0203:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So what does an ‘above ground ‘ shelter look like?

10 hours ago, dogmom4 said:

I *think* these are the type a friend of ours installs.  He told us we just need a concrete pad for him to attach one to.  Nope, these ones aren't showing a concrete pad.  But you get the idea.

https://www.safesheds.com/

Edited by TheCG
  • Like 2

Safe Sheds can be installed on a concrete pad or anchored to the ground. Yes, the one we got a quote on is from Safe Sheds. So far in our research it is the one we like best.

• Like 1

Some one is a mind reader on here. I was taking a look at my 5 year plan and scrapped it about six months ago. With hubby's health issues everything is falling to me now plus taking care of him. So we are downsizing. No more dreams of large gardens, goats, sheep and an orchard. Now we are talking a postage stamp size yard and in town living. (shudder) but you do what you got to do. So it is back to the drawing board. Your post are helping me with my revised 5 year plan. Keep the ideas coming ladies. I need all the help I can get.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

54 minutes ago, Midnightmom said:

An 8 x 10 storm shelter still looks claustrophobic to me! (Is there a curtain around the potty??? :P  :blush:  :whistling:

So, you can finish the 8×10 structure any way you want. This is just a really well fortified shell of a building. You can put in electric, benches, bunkbeds, storage, A/C, even a TV. You can put in a potty, screening, even walls 

For tornadoes, since the immediate threat does not last for hours, many people would not include restroom facilities. If I were to include a toilet, I would do a bucket in the corner (compost style). And if so, yes a privacy screen would be needed.

For hurricanes, the immediate threat lasts for many hours. I presume people who buy them for that sort of storm would definitely want to include a toilet and screen.

Hee Hee Midnightmom.  It all "DEPENDS" 

It's for an emergency. I'm thinking tornado. You (meaning me) have probably already relieved yourself on the way to the shelter. Soooo, storing extra undies in there might be as prudent as a bucket. And wet wipes. Definitely wet wipes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:01 PM, dogmom4 said:

The ones from safesheds.com are look like little stucco sheds with a steel door.  They will paint them any one of 90 colors you want!

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.