MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Annarchy

Prepping for the “Golden Years”

WE2's.  I love our Berkey and we've also used our filters for over five years with the same ones (black).  We back clean them regularly and test with food coloring as well.  Those things last forever but we would like to have a set on hand just in case.  Even if we don't use them in a Berkey we could use them in a home made two bucket system for more filtration if we needed it.  

I always can without salt and without sugar but neither of those things would be bad for us in a SHTF situation where we were all working harder and might need the sodium (along with the potassium in the veggie or fruit) for hydration and the sugar for calories.  One thing I used to do, that I no longer do and should, was to can water in my empty jars. I would store the jars in clean boxes or totes.  That way I could use them to can freezer or perishable foods if the electricity went off without having to wash the jars again when I would have little water to do so.  Usually the lids would be usable for the next canning as they were only lightly used.  Perhaps it's not as safe as it should be but it worked in emergency situations and in a SHTF situations how long would that canned food need to be stored before using?  

One thing I don't have is a solar oven.  I would love to have one that can be used either solar or electric.  I have the makings of a solar one but never got it made.  I believe I'd like to experiment with that this year to see how it works and perhaps it's time to check out a commercial one.  They have probably come a long way since I last looked at them. Thanks for the mention of them. 

Hugs

• Like 1

Mt. Rider.  Your Wiki link gives a better idea of a solar still and different methods to make them.  Thanks for putting that up. This would be another one of those primitive skills that should be preserved some where.  I've made and used a couple different solar stills before and have found the bigger they are the more water you can get from them.  

As for transpiration, well, I've tried that too but it didn't work all that well for amounts and I'm assuming that you'd have to use a lot of clear bags on a lot of different branches to get enough to survive. But, hey, it's worth a shot when you need liquid.   At certain times of year there are a lot of trees that will give edible sap when tapped though.  I've checked out the trees in our area and found dozens that I could use if needed IF it were early spring.  You can tap them other times of year but the sap isn't always the best taste.  

And the article about adaptive devises was interesting.  I just wish the manufacturers would listen to what we older and disabled people need and want.  

Hugs 

• Like 3

Mother, your BIL is wise to be preparing. I hope he’s also planned for protection when all the sheeple show up from the big cities. 

We have a silk parachute I have used for years, to move big heavy objects. “Walk” the item onto the silk and slide it where it needs to be moved. Works amazingly well.

Read an article in Thursday’s news paper, here in TX, how the local electric company is trying to prepare for the summer demand for electricity, due to an investigation report done recently.  They are trying to build more production facilities, as quickly as possible and are warning people to expect rolling blackouts. Mid summer heat is going to be unlivable for many elderly people. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ack....heat w/o power.  Dangerous in TX and that region.  If....WHEN.....we move to Maui.....my main goal will be to chose living where I won't die without electric.  [MS.....dangerously heat intolerant]    I'm gonna live in a house that's under lots of trees with long, overhanging branches.  "Large canopy".   Deep shade.  Not under a palm tree or papaya tree.  Or even the pine trees that are around here.  Like the oaks, black walnut, and such in the Midwest.   Saw an oak that could have held a small school's worth of rope swings.  Amazing.  Hope for sprawling out banyan trees, breadfruit, mango....and others in the tropics.  One needs deep shade .....at least several feet between you and the juncture of sunshine/shade.  ....Add tropical breezes that are usually present....  :bev:   [That's non-alcoholic cuz alcohol doesn't cool ...except if wiped on externally  LOL ]  Wear wet long-sleeved white overshirt and soak my hair....  If you have deep shade and a breeze and water....there are ways to keep cooler. 

:( Extreme humidity will unfortunately cancel out a lot of the gains tho.  Still air will be deadly.   :(

I'm thinking maybe we should start sending some of the general Post Hooey topics ...Water, wildcraft,  fire making, air conditioning, etc over to the RURR Survival Library.  Cuz it will include a combination of Olde Tyme techniques and modern but non-electric adaptions/materials that available now.  There is a lot of old threads there already....  Drumrunner's entire collection is there.

MtRider  :shrug:  

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

I've thot of the Clear Plastic Bag over leafy tree branch.  Transpiration....

Also:  https://besurvival.com/tips-and-tricks/how-to-harvest-emergency-drinking-water-from-a-tree

We are talking barely enough to keep one person alive, but that's something.

• Thanks 1

Water... barrel cactus center has water, it’s really bitter, but will keep you alive. 

• Like 2

Annarchy, my BIL is more than prepared for defending his property.  I would wish we were so prepared.  Our home is surrounded with trees and brush hiding it nicely from the road but it also gives cover to anyone wanting to get close withour detection.  We are working on replacing some of the brush with berry thickets.  Food and barrier all in one.  

I've heard of using cacti for emergency liquid but hadn't realized it might be bitter.  Some tree sap is as well.  

I hadn't heard about rolling blackouts in TX.  I'll mention it to our son so he can be prepared if he hasn't heard about it.  Thanks for the info.

Ambergris, great link, thanks.  

Mt. Rider, I can't imagine living where it's hot and humid without electricity.  Think I'll try to stay in Illinois.  :knary:

:grouphug:

• Like 1

:thumbs:  Ambergris....that's the first time I heard of that technique ....when it wasn't related to syrup harvest, I mean. 

I began to look up WHICH trees would be safe to draw some water.  If they are safe for syrup-making, they're safe for drinking their 'water'.

various quotes: 

Sycamore trees (Platanus occidentalis), birches (the genus Betula), and hickories (the genus Carya) can also be tapped for drinking water that can be boiled for syrup. Black birch sap is particularly delicious.

"I've made syrup from yellow birch, white birch and butternut trees

There's Kahiltna birch syrup made in Alaska, blue spruce pine syrup from Utah and Georgian black walnut syrup.

Although sugar maples are the tree of choice for commercial sugaring due to their high ratio of sugar to water in their sap, many other types of trees can be tapped to make syrup, including silver and red maples, hickory, birch, box elder, and walnuts

MtRider  :bev: 

• Like 2

I'm going to make a new thread for tree-tapping, but here's one line from an article:  Sycamore tree sap has long been collected as drinking water and for syrup making.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.