MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
babysteps

Water alerts and panic

Babysteps, are you concerned about your well?  

Some of our contaminates are airborne, so they say. 

Mt_Rider, yes, life styles would have to change. Your question threw my memories back to my early childhood. The old hand water pump in our kitchen was our only source of water in the house. We boiled our water on a wood stove, any time we needed warm water. Wash cloth baths, priming the pump, carrying buckets to fill the cows troughs....I don’t miss it. 

Here in the desert, panic probably would be intense. We have a month’s worth of drinking water, purification straws and the Berkeley. But, if the source dries up, that’s another story. We do have the CAP.   https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Arizona_Project. A cemented diversion canal transporting the Colorado river water through AZ, it’s completely fenced in and you get fined if you are caught inside the fence. 

I hope they can resolve that water issue quickly. 

• Like 1

I'm not concerned about this particular issue, no. It's a blue-green algae bloom causing the toxin in the water, so it's not going to be an issue in underground wells, as far as I understand. I'm also a good 20 miles from the reservoir and the city affected, so distance would help if it was an airborne contaminate.

That's not to say I'm not worried about the possibility of my well becoming contaminated - just not from this.

The city officials stated yesterday that the levels of toxin - which had been below EPA levels for almost a week and they were expecting to lift the restrictions this week- have gone back up AGAIN, so there's no end in sight yet. I think Salem is scrambling to get a new filtration system in that works on this toxin, but until that's in and tested, I think they're probably going to be stuck leaving the restrictions in place. 

It's been eye-opening, to say the least. For quite a few people I hope!

• Like 3

So glad your water is safe!

If I hear it's not safe for elderly, children, sick, pregnant etc. people then I sure wouldn't trust it for myself either. Not just with water issues but anything else. Maybe not the pregnant one because I understand certain things can affect the fetus but I'd still be cautious when an alert is given.  

On 6/5/2018 at 10:52 PM, Mt_Rider said:

https://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com/blog/microcystin/algae-bloom-and-microcystin-removal-berkey-faq/

Read that the 'bloom' is showing up all over now...due to weather conditions?????

MtRider :pc_coffee: 

We own two Berkey's...one smaller one that travels with us and a large one that sits in our kitchen.  We also own two Berkey Sport Bottles and a couple of Sawyer life straws.  i put a Berkey Sport Bottle to a test...filled it full of water that I knew had lots of iron in it.  Let it set for about 6 months.  Pulled it out, gave it a shake and turned the spout up and took a drink.  A bit flat and a not cool, but definitely drinkable.  

• Like 1

On 6/21/2018 at 5:25 PM, Jeepers said:

So glad your water is safe!

If I hear it's not safe for elderly, children, sick, pregnant etc. people then I sure wouldn't trust it for myself either. Not just with water issues but anything else. Maybe not the pregnant one because I understand certain things can affect the fetus but I'd still be cautious when an alert is given.  

Agree. If it is not safe for the elderly, well, I am getting to that designation. By some definitions I am elderly and by others I am close. So that’s me and it likely isn’t safe. If not safe for children, I figure it isn’t safe for anyone. If those with medical conditions should not drink it, that IS ME. This is why we have our Big Berkey. 

• Like 1

Same here Cowgirl. I'm 66 so that qualifies me as being in the older than dirt category. I usually think of the elderly as old folks in a nursing home. But a young whippersnapper of a doctor did use the "E" word when talking to me...8 months ago.

I have a Big Berkey too with an extra set of filters. Also 4 life straw things. Not sure of the brand right off. And some pool shock stuff.

I'm going to put another set of filters on my Lehmans list. It's a day trip for me now but an over nighter when ever I move. I'm really going to miss Amish country when I move.

• Like 1

The article mentioned above is on the Berkey Water Filter site. And yes, you can purchase a Berkey system at the link. Here are some excerpts:

Here are 7 Contaminants Found in Tap Water in America

1. Fluoride
  2. Chlorine
  3. Pharmaceutical drugs
  4. Hexavalent chromium - 

At present, an Environmental Working Group (EWG) report shared that hexavalent chromium, a chemical identified, that probably considered as “carcinogen” by the EPA, is present in high concentrations in 31 U.S. cities. Despite its known toxicity, there are no government regulations for hexavalent chromium in drinking water.

5. Radioactive Contaminants
  6. Arsenic
  7. Lead, aluminum, and other heavy metals

For the greater part, America’s drinking water is pulled from groundwater to federal and state purity levels before arriving at every home’s tap. How do you know if your water is safe for drinking?  See if these reports help you tell whether the water you have access from the tap is safe or drinkable. (This statement is followed by links to the reports mentioned.)

• Thanks 2

We own two Berkey's; one big one and a medium sized one that we can take in our travel trailer etc.and as an extra water source should a life changing event happen.  Our biggest issue is to make sure we fill the big one EVERY evening!  We don't have the medium sized one in use right now, it's packed and at the homestead.  We keep some extra filters too Jeepers.  We've invested in two of the Berkey Sport bottles (one for each of us), two Sawyer's and two of the life straw type filters.  Just as a test several years ago, I took my Berkey sports bottle, filled it with water from a tap that I knew had lots of iron in it and left it set for a year.  Then took it, gave it a shake and drank from it.  Water was fine.  Really surprised me!  

• Like 2

We get annual water testing reports. Not good at all. No, we do not drink the tap water. We too, have several filters, in the event we need them. 

I've got the big Berkey too and an extra set of filters. I think I need another set though. I can pick them up at Lehmans. They are expensive. Of course they do last a long time. I have four water straws (can't remember the brand)

I've got some of that pool shock (can't remember the name of it either). That pool shock I bought is strong stuff. I have it in a glass jar, not sealed and I have to 'burp' it every month or so. The gas or what ever it is really builds up fast. And I have it stored here in the house. When you take the lid off the chlorine smell about knocks you out. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Jeepers said:

pool shock

I've heard that it's very dangerous, especially if you don't know "exactly" the proportions needed.  It's also pretty well documented that if you store home tap water, it doesn't need to have bleach etc. in it. 

That stuff is potent. I did the research and got the correct kind with directions on how to use it. It is last resort for me. 

I'm going to have well water at the new place so there isn't the chemicals or chlorine or fluoride from city water in it. I had it tested before I bought. He said it was really good water straight from the well. Plus I have a whole house water softener running. I'll probably get some sort of water filter too. 

I have the Berkey and straws plus about a dozen 5 gallon water jugs that I need to fill when I move. I want to get a couple of rain barrels but they have to be emptied in the winter. Right?  In a couple of years I'd like to get a small above ground pool for you- know- who. If nothing else I could use that water for flushing. 

I'm making a running list of everything that needs done out there. Plus a month by month list of things to take care of. Like changing batteries and furnace filters etc. Also getting the water tested every year. That way I won't forget. In theory. 

It's funny but this is my third house to own but it really feels like my first one. Maybe because I'm doing this one all by myself.  :shrug:

• Like 2

Yep Jeepers, water containment systems must be drained in winter, flushed in spring before plugging them up ... or in a heated building.  Ask us how we know! We drain all 5 of ours every winter...when we see the first freeze coming...and then we let them "flush" with the first rain before we put the stopper back into the last barrel.  The one barrel sits on the front side of the homestead house where my "wild things grow"...it's the 5th one.  We did buy an IBC tote last year but need to get it satisfactorily cleaned before we hook it up.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I forgot, I have a water bob for the tub too. Might get another one since I'll have 2 tubs.

We have one also...but boy is it a pain to fill and empty.  We wanted to test it out before we needed it.  We bought two of those rolling water (5 gallon?) jugs with handles at WM.  Also have several of the square blue water (again...5 gallon?) that we can store water in an emergency...just have to fill them from the tap though.  But...that's good enough for bathing etc., and can be run through the Berkey for cooking etc. if needed.  

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.