MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Weight Watchers

dogmom4

I started Weight Watchers online a week ago. 5 pounds down in one week! I really like the new way they are doing it. There is a list of zero point foods that is really helping to keep from feeling hungry. And...you can add some points for exercise you do.

• Like 2

Zero point foods? Interesting. I have been losing weight this year. Lost quite a bit. I need to find out about these.

• Like 1

Hmmm, I ‘m doing it the hard way....starve myself. :008Laughing:

Seriously, I plan a fast, with prayer, for a day, then, ask God to bless the food we eat. I’ve managed to loose 10 lbs. this year. My goal is 10 more pounds, that’s it.  God willing. 

The weight I was at, was playing havoc on my back, in a big way.  Walking, sitting, & moving, constantly hurt. After loosing the first 10 lbs. I got some of my energy back and actually have noticed a few days where the back pain had disappeared. 

I’m really bad at counting calories, eliminating foods, and not eating stuff. I get shakey, headaches and really light headed. DH does too. I put a lot of protein in my diet. Given the choice, I’d rather have cold beef rather than sugar for desert. DH just shakes his head, he’s a chocoholic and a sweet freak. :behindsofa:

• Like 4

I have been trying to make healthier choices in the foods I eat, although admittedly I still do not eat a “perfect” diet. Slowly I have dropped from a size 12 to a size 8. I did not do this specifically for weight loss, which is why I don’t have a pounds number to report. This may sound bizarre, but I do not own a scale. I really don’t have a clue as to how many pounds I have lost. The only metric I have is the size clothes that currently fit me.

Instead, I made the diet changes to try to be healthier. One benefit of this has been weight loss. The major benefit, though, has been that I feel better. I looked up the zero points foods — fruits and vegetables, salads and salsas are all things I have been eating more of, and filling up on, so yes, I agree with Weight Watchers — you can fill up on foods like that and lose weight without counting calories.

• Like 2

I am surprised about some of these zero points foods. Greens are obvious —it would be very difficult to gain weight by eating too many greens. But chicken, yogurt, eggs - they are healthy, but not super low calorie. One could gain weight eating lots and lots of these.

So when I have put healthy meals together, I will have one chicken thigh, but a huge salad, with salsa for dressing. This list makes it sound like one could fill up on lots of chicken. Not sure about that... hmmmm.

I suppose, though, if one ate lots of chicken it would trigger a fullness response faster. Sort of like the Paleo diet. And I have known people to lose weight on meat and cheese, so I suppose that’s actually a reasonable list.

Cowgirl, the zero point food is still meant to be eaten in moderation (a normal serving size). Eat one or two eggs... not 4 or 5. I see them as foods that fill you up when you may are getting close to using up your daily points. And chicken is supposed to be chicken breast cooked without the skin. 

I think the best thing about this is plugging in a food that I used to eat and being shocked at how many points it is. It’s making me take a much closer look at what I eat.

I’m down another pound since yesterday. Feeling much better and very motivated.

• Like 3

I figured moderation would be the sensible way to approach such a list, but I was a bit surprised to see some of them designated “zero” along with greens. A person could literally pig out on some of those zeros and still lose weight, while others are definitely high calorie.

We eat chicken, quite a bit. But I prefer dark meat. I will normally eat one thigh for the protein and then eat lots of veggies and a slice of sourdough with butter and/or apple butter for the balance.

We also eat eggs. Lots of eggs (one reason I raise chickens is for amazingly vibrantly colored healthy eggs). Almost every day starts with eggs. And sometimes they find their way into dinners too. I always thought the urgent warnings against eggs and to eat nasty margarine and throw away those vitamin rich yolks was stupid. So we’ve been eating eggs for years, and butter too. I am amused that they now say eggs are ok, sort of.

I don’t follow Weight Watchers because I am too lazy to track points or calories. The only reason I started losing weight was that I decided to eat for health, so I am always thinking about vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, etc.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

We also eat eggs. Lots of eggs (one reason I raise chickens is for amazingly vibrantly colored healthy eggs). Almost every day starts with eggs. And sometimes they find their way into dinners too. I always thought the urgent warnings against eggs and to eat nasty margarine and throw away those vitamin rich yolks was stupid. So we’ve been eating eggs for years, and butter too. I am amused that they now say eggs are ok, sort of.

Agreed.  Our ducks ....even old ones we have now...produce yolks that are almost fluorescent!  Some very large yellow ones and some are dark orange.  Don't know why the difference but in all the ducks we've had for the past 2 decades, it's always been two colors.  They are free range and have a large pond....plus 'non-toxic' waterfowl pellets.   Not chicken feed.

MtRider ....one day I'll be ready to exert enough energy to pay attention to how much sweets I eat.  Until that can happen.... :whistling: 

• Like 2

LOL @Mt_Rider — I love sweets too. I eat fewer now, but I still eat them. Hence, the weight has come off very, very slowly over the past year. The biggest change for me is portions. I decided to make meat a smaller portion of my plate, and veggies a MUCH BIGGER portion.  We eat. We get full. But what we are filling up on is veggies rather than the meats. Because I am full after dinner, I am a little less tempted to have desert. But I still do have some. :happy0203:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

I think that's the way to do it Cowgirl...go for health and your body will self-correct.  If I over-dwell on what I "can't" have,  I get more tempted by those less healthy options.  So I try to concentrate on what will build health instead.  Works for me.

• Like 2