MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
babysteps

Dad went to the hospital

Hey all.

So my dad has been having mild shortness of breath/coughing fits for about 18 months now. He finally agreed to go to the doctor this week (men. sigh.). They kept him in the hospital for three days, ran a zillion tests, and came up with 

1. Diabetes. Not a surprise given my dad's quite overweight, almost 70, and it runs in his family.

2. Pulmonary Embolisms. Apparently his left leg has been kicking blood clots like they're going out of style and he had about half a dozen in his lungs. Small, fortunately, but still have the potential to be A Bad Thing.

3. Pulmonary Fibrosis. Which means he has a non-curable, non-treatable progressive lung disease with an average life expectancy after diagnosis of 3-5 years. 

I'm a little shell shocked right now. He hasn't been in perfect health for the past year or so, but it was never what I would call "poor" health. And I *thought* I knew that he was getting older and I could lose him at any time - but I'm realizing there's a world of difference in a vague, head-knowledge type of knowing something, and being hit with the reality of having at MOST 5 years left. The doctors are kind and sympathetic and not optimistic at all about him having more time than that, given the other issues. And I don't know if that "3-5 years" clock starts now, or if it started 18 months ago when he first started having sypmtoms.

So if you feel led, please pray for my family. My parents have so many decisions to make in the upcoming months. My brother and I both live three hours away from them, which makes us feel very helpless right now. 

• Sad 1

Prayers. And a hug. :bighug2:

Is any of the smoke from the Klamathon fire reaching your location? It it is, it is certain to be adding woes to your dad's condition. :(

I'm so sorry to hear the news about his Pulmonary Fibrosis (and the blood clots). I imagine they have started him on some type of blood thinner to try and dissolve the existing ones and prevent new ones from forming.

Remember this, you are 3 hours away but your mom is right there. Do your best to give her the logistical and emotional support she will be needing to help your dad get his "affairs in order." And then YOU come HERE for the support YOU need. :bighug2:

• Like 4

Wow, that's a shock.  :(   Similar to what DH had a year ago.....without the pulmonary fibrosis.  Yes, guys seem to avoid going to get medical things checked out....  <_<  Before that, DH hadn't been to a non-chiro doc since the early 1990's. 

Joining in the prayers for your whole family.

MtRider  :pray: 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:46 PM, Cowgirl said:

Prayers. And a hug. :bighug2:

From me, too.  It is a shock to be on the clock, so to speak.  You are never really completely "ready".  Even if you know it is coming.  Treasure the time you have left - call him often.  

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.