MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Mt_Rider

True? Cut Power to Prevent Wildfires?

So.....PG&E have cut power to:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Some of the first red flag warnings of the season were issued on Friday due to the high fire risk south of San Jose all the way north to Redding.

PG&E said it will be shutting down power to parts of Yolo, Napa and Sonoma counties on Saturday.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/pg-e-shut-down-power-california-residents-fire-072714045--abc-news-topstories.html

That's it then?  Our company [which is in bankruptcy, btw] cannot safely deliver the product you have paid for so we're just not going to deliver it.  Then we'll cut it back on when we think we're safe.  ??? 

:tapfoot:  DH and I had a propane company cease delivering in our area in January one year.  Refused to answer calls or return messages left.  They simply stopped service in our area with zero explanation.  I did hear one of their drivers had a bad accident....but what does that mean????  Never heard from them again. 

What responsibility do you think utilities companies have to their customers?  Especially when you cannot just call up a competitor....when there are no competitors.  Any comments?   Especially any of you in CA?   Do you have back up plans for your Red Flag days if you have them in your area?

MtRider  :campfire:     ...... it's also obvious that No One wants another Camp Fire.... 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Sad 1

In the past, during the really hot days, local gov'ts used to provide "cooling centers" for those who couldn't afford to cool their houses or for those who were "homeless."  I'm not sure what the solution will be if PG&E turns off power to a whole town/region as there will be no power anywhere for these cooling centers to operate.  My best guess is that the local hospitals will be the only places to go in the event of a power shut-off since they have back-up generators. I imagine it will get very warm and uncomfortable in these locations as the systems try to compensate for the additional body heat generated by masses of people seeking someplace to cool off.

Some people may be able to stay with friends or relatives who have generators or live out of the area. People who are dependent on power to run medical equipment at home - oxygen, CPAP, etc - have been urged to purchase a generator or a battery back-up system for their devices. :/ If you can't afford it, oh well, they warned you! You are also encouraged to NOT keep lots of food in your freezer or fridge -- exactly the opposite of what a good prepper does. :/

No power also means (probably) that restaurants and fast food places will not be open for business, so there will be no way to get a hot meal. And how will the refrigerated and frozen foods in grocery stores and convenience markets hold up to no power? I have no idea if any of them have back-up generators or not.

When I was a child we used to cool our houses by opening the windows and doors and running fans. But without power there won't be any fans! HOW did the people who settled this state live and handle the heat prior to electricity???  :blush: :scratchhead: :gaah: :knary:

• Sad 3

I'm feeling the hair go up on the back of my neck.  :animal0017:   Creeeepy!

Is this ever going to include your area, Midnight?  Or Dogmom? 

MtRider  :( 

• Like 1

OK....so they have turned off power to:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Pacific Gas & Electric on Friday said it will cut the electricity for roughly 1,600 customers in parts of Northern California that were considered “areas of extreme fire risk.”

AND:

The company on Friday said it was also keeping an eye on the weather in portions of the Sierra foothills, noting that “peak fire risk in these areas” was predicted from 9 p.m. Saturday through the following afternoon. Roughly 30,000 customers in Butte, Yuba, Nevada, El Dorado and Placer counties could potentially have their power turned off as well, PG&E said

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

So how long will it take to turn the power BACK ON? 

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=

When the threat of severe weather is over, the company said it’ll send out teams to inspect the power lines. The power should typically be turned back on within 24 to 48 hours but it could take longer depending on the circumstances, it said.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

https://www.foxbusiness.com/energy/pge-cuts-power-california-wildfire-risk

.....just so y'all know how it's going in parts of CA.  :( 

Being from another wildfire state of CO......  :sigh:   do I have to start implementing some of the things from our Compressed Populations scenario?  I feel fortunate that we are not dependent for breathing/O2 or such....at this time.  But mebbe should focus on not stocking up freezer stuff.  :scratchhead:  What else.....during summer?  Hide in basement instead of using swamp cooler if power is out.  Doable.  Not comfortable.  WATER.... Note To Self:  Stock up on a lot more well water if we get dry and crispy....now that the precedent has been set. ***Keep freezers FULL by making ice in Ziplocks to fill in the spaces! 

MtRider  :unsure: 

Edited by Mt_Rider

In case some of you missed it, a couple of months ago our president signed an executive order that requires various and assorted departments to work together/share information to prepare for and try to prevent the failure of the power grid for whatever reason. (EMP, solar flare, terrorist attack, etc) This was prompted by the report that came out last year by the government's own committee on susceptibility of our power grid.  I read that report and it was even more chilling than the one that came out in 2008  by the committee on impact of an EMP (which was also part of this latest report). It was strongly suggested to The Department of Homeland Security, in that report, that it might be months before parts of the grid could be repaired.  The report encouraged the DHS recommend that all citizens be prepared for at least six months of no electricity and the accompanying problems listed in the report.  No communication, transportation interruptions, and on and on.  Of course, nothing has been said. Don't want to scare the people but at least someone has actually paid attention to the report.  

These periodic outages in isolated areas of the country will be nothing compared to country wide outages.  Those people though will be a lot better prepared for long term compared to those who haven't had that experience.  

If I remember right, some of us on Mrs. S used to have 'practice' weekend drills without electricity.  Does anyone still do that? 

• Like 3

I didn't read that report but heard about it.  Not a nice bedtime story, huh?  :( 

We used to 'practice' rather frequently when the power is out thru storms or landslides or whatever.  Once a deer jumped into the something.....fried the deer.  Or that was the story anyway.  Thing is, we don't have power outage nearly as much as we used to.  So no, we haven't "practiced" in a long time.  Hmm...  Good point.  I do still practice how fast I can fill water bottles....if we had any warning. 

We did prepare rather heavily for that Bombegenesis humongo blizzard earlier this spring.  Cuz that might have taken power out....but thankfully didn't.  We weren't close to the actual extreme LOW pressure system....but the event covered most of the state with it's ramifications.  Biggest worry is keeping warm.  Had kerosene and Buddy heaters.  And a big dog.  Super-cold sleeping bags.  Hauled stuff in that usually live in my truck.  Less time spent outside or running outside to get to basement, the better.

Truly, we'd have a horrible time surviving thru winter.  Summer is a better chance.

MtRider  :unsure: 

• Like 1

We have those kinds of 'practices' here too, the kind where we are forced to practice by some act or possible act of nature. We had several days of no electric last winter and we hadn't had that for several years so weren't quite as ready as we could have been.  We did fine but not comfortably. 

I was thinking more of some here who used to actually set aside a weekend or longer if they really wanted to push it where they used no electricity.  They left specific appliances running such as freezers and refrigerators but made it so that lights and such wouldn't work or with a reminder NOT to use switches and things.  They did not buy anything ahead of time to make it easier but went on only what they had on hand.  They ate only from their preps and had to use up what would supposedly spoil in the refrigerator and maybe freezers as if they too were off.  They cooked on what they had prepped to use, they had to either have water stored or figure out how they were going to get it, (in that case where you have to have water to drink they let themselves find it at a store but limited its use)  and etc.   It was a way to test their preps and their skills for survival and I believe it was extremely beneficial.  Especially for those who had kids so they would see exactly what it would be like.  I remember it being a sort of challenge just like some of these scenarios are only to actually live it and write about what they learned and how they made out later (no computer use obviously). 

I just wondered if anyone had done that or if anyone had even thought about doing it.  

We have done hurricane drills, but mostly only 36 hours at a time and not in the most miserable weather.  Here lately, we've been getting several days of blackout every summer from hurricanes, and it's amazing how much more interested my sons are in spending money on things they do not want to use.

• Like 3

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.