MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

If you have been watching the news at all, you  have probably heard about the Carr Fire burning in northern CA.  It started at Whiskeytown Lake, to the west of the city I lived in for 10 yrs. It has been burning out of control for several days now, and they have not been able to use air tankers or helicopter water drops because the smoke is too thick for good visibility and the ashes could foul the engines. :( 

It has been burning north and east and has now reached the outskirts of the part of town I used to live in. A subdivision "just around the corner" from where I used to live, is now being evacuated. I'm pretty sure I be leaving too. 

Am I really ready??? I don't think so. I am nowhere near there anymore, but I am going through a mental checklist and it is crazy SCARY how unprepared I am (mentally and otherwise) to actually be having to think about getting out!

Here's a topographic map of the area. The red is where the fire is burning. The blue is the wind direction. The yellow shows the mountain ranges that are trapping the smoke on the valley floor. The smoke (and ash) has no place to go except SOUTH. I live in Anderson, Kevin lives in Chico (and he works in Red Bluff). The high temps (100+ combined with the smoke and the ash makes it very difficult to be outside and people are advised to stay inside unless necessary to go out).

2121104560_firemap.JPG.d78434bb036b5f59f0f36010c6e5d2d0.JPG

The red scrawling is where the fire originated (Hwy 299 - west of Redding, near Whiskeytown Lake). It has been burning north and east and is now threatening a neighborhood very close to where we lived for 10 yrs! Mary Lake subdivision is circled in yellow, and the street we lived on is in green. The blue locator pin is the location of the house - 3815 Oro St. I'm pretty sure we would be evacuating if we still lived there!

25139904_firemap2.thumb.JPG.2749e601b0b0496fdb62c8e308da94b5.JPG

• Sad 3

Oh sheeeesh, Midnight!  I DO know how that feels.  Don't forget all the charging cables for phone, laptop, whatever.  It's harsh to be elsewhere without all communication devices.  Do you have animals...cat/dog?  Make sure to have their vet records and vet phone #s.  Also all your addresses/phone #'s ...if not kept in electronic devices.  It's different now than more than a decade ago when we did EVAC.  Sooo SCARY and upsetting.  I'll pray for safety and for your home.  And for your clarity while you prepare.

Take irreplaceable/precious things.  Take all sox/undies...no one has energy to go to laundry mat on EVAC.  Take more than enough for a week or more.  Most EVACs are less time ....like 2 or 3 days.  But ours was 3 wks.  Take ALL MEDS AND OTC meds!  Take any medical devices/braces/etc that you use or sometimes use.  Take energy/protein bars.  Being Evacuated is exhausting/upsetting.  You aren't able to get regular meals sometimes.  So bars when you're hungry are convenient.  And water bottles of course.   I hope you have N95 masks or something for the smoke!  If not, get some as soon as you're able.  Goggles might help your eyes...even swim goggles.  I know...it's AWFUL!  :hug3:

NOTE:  DO NOT WAIT FOR OFFICIAL WORD TO LEAVE.  SOMETIMES NO WORD COMES...IT'S CHAOTIC!  GO...IF YOU THINK YOU SHOULD.  DON'T LET YOUR EVAC ROUTE BE OVER RUN BY THE FIRE....OR GET SO CLOGGED WITH FOLKS LEAVING THAT IT TAKES TOO LONG..... 

I'm so sorry to hear of this....  :pray:

MtRider  ....finally back on Internet just tonite! 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2

She marked herself as safe 11 hours ago on Facebook. Redding is 150 miles from me and we started getting the smoky haze yesterday from the fire. Two firefighters have now died :sad-smiley-012: and the videos of the fire and the aftermath are both terrifying and so sad.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Oh good to hear, Midnight. 

MtRider  :pray:  for them to begin getting containment on this monster! :pray:  

Oh!  That is a horror.  We've had some deaths in fires in CO.  Horrible way to die!   Just get out....don't wait.  :(

MtRider :pray:

Just now, Mt_Rider said:

Just get out....don't wait.

The fire was still on the other side of the river when the grandfather left to get supplies. While he was gone, the fire jumped the river and burned down the house (actually a mobil) they were in. :( 

The grandma tried to  protect the children by having them lay on the floor while she lay on top of them draped in a wet blanket. (Obviously not enough protection). It took a while for the bodies to be discovered and recovered because the roof collapsed on them where they were laying. 

• Sad 2

I'm sorry it has taken me all day to get back here and update you on my situation, but I have been packing boxes and putting them in the car "just in case." I have also been busy monitoring several local groups for current info, etc.

First off, here is a map of the area. The fire is to the north and west of me - I am located in the squiggly red "circle" that you see at the bottom of the map. I don't think I am (or will be) in the path of this monster as it is burning to the north and west of me.

1348637174_firemap.JPG.1aa798e34d4a42ae40839afc56fa3f46.JPG

The ashes though have been falling even this far south of the fire. Check out the coverage on my car!

IMG_20180728_100237.thumb.jpg.8251acaeb4653673f785b72e8206b7f6.jpg     IMG_20180728_100329.thumb.jpg.081ea6d70bad71d0b0dd75c128e8eb6e.jpg

HOWEVER, with this thing being as unpredictable as it has been, I have spent the day getting my stuff together and packed into the trunk of my car - just because. In the process, I discovered that my "life" could be summarized by the content of what is in these few boxes! These are the things that I would like to have "displayed" at my memorial service: newspaper articles; letters to the editor; the homeschool group newsletter I was editor for for 2 years; the Homeschool newsletter I  published for a year; and the record keeping journal/day planner that I created, published and sold for several years. These boxes also contain the awards I won for my 6th grade science competition and the class I won at a local horse show (oh so many years ago!). There is the "book" that contains some of my photographs along with the Bible verses they brought to mind. And, of course, the baby scrapbooks that got started (kind'a) but never finished. :/ All in all, these boxes contain 40+ years of my life!!!

0728181224-00.jpg.97be610b11af18f2e27da50348eb12c4.jpg     0728181224-01.jpg.1ca361db95c08f43523e5249c059dec6.jpg

There is another box which has all of my legal/financial papers that is also already in the trunk. Then of course, there are the boxes that contain my current meds and medical devices which have yet to be moved to the car because if I don't leave, I will need them for this evening and again in the morning.

The "Costco" bag(s) are acting as my suitcases, containing all of my clothes - including what I pulled out of the hamper! My trunk is full, my body is tired. I can't imagine having to pull all of this together and getting out with only a few hours notice of needing to evacuate.

I am not looking forward to unpacking all of this stuff after/when the danger is over. I hope I never have to do this again!!!

• Sad 4

I got chills just reading your post Midnightmom. Thanks for the pictures. The ash on your car is too close for comfort. Scary.  :hug3:

I'm so glad you are taking these precautions though. Better safe than sorry even though it's a lot of worry and work. Stay safe friend!  :pray:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

I'm sorry it has taken me all day to get back here and update you on my situation, but I have been packing boxes and putting them in the car "just in case." I have also been busy monitoring several local groups for current info, etc.

Absolutely, Midnight!  That is a more-than full time job for you and all your neighbors right now.  How well I remember the DANCE:

----Do I really HAVE to pack to EVAC? :unsure:  YES...it's getting closer!! :gaah: 

----Do I REALLY want to tear that apart to get to those precious things? :unsure:  YES...I'd regret it if it burns! :yar: 

----I HAVE to make myself sit down and eat for a minute!!!  :imoksmiley:  ....yet here I am, two seconds later...grabbing something ELSE I nearly forgot! :runcirclsmiley2:

It's AWFUL!   I'm SO sorry you're in this mess.  I'm glad you've had time to make some choices in packing up...instead of the Rip 'N RUN scenario.  But having this time is INCREDIBLY stressful and frightening.  Please do try to take time to rest and eat.  Do that while listening constantly for updates:  WHAT did this monster do now?  WHERE is it now?  :(  :(  :(  

When I read yesterday that this one JUMPED THE RIVER.....I thot I'd read wrong.   Oh good grief...that's terrifying!  "Anyone" would think that they could hold it at the river!! Usually fire fighters consider a good firebreak something like a 2-lane highway.  That's where they can hold the line!!!   A river....even a stream is a GREAT firebreak.  :sigh:   Not always.  You are having WIND out there, I think.  All bets are off in strong wind....and of course extremely dry and HOT conditions.  And once it's in the tree tops instead of a ground fire.........  It's just soooo sad for that family..... the poor woman tried...

In our monster fire....the beleaguered  firefighters nearly lost their own base camp!  Hundreds...thousands (?) of tents set up on a meadow near a small town.  DH and I watched planes dropping red slurry just on the other side of the ridge.  The smoke was so think, the slurry plane had to have a small, maneuverable plane to guide them thru that ridge/valley.  Amazing to watch....TERRIFYING to watch. 

You know....those fire fighters did not try to evacuate their base camp?  They just kept fighting our fire!!!!!!!  Makes me tear up to think of the sacrifices those men and women make to save our communities.  The danger and hardships they endure.  Just existing at our extremely high altitudes is harsh!  Wearing all that clothing/equipment and climbing up nearly vertical hillsides....aiieee.  Our community can't ever thank them enough when they come in from everywhere in the nation to battle the monster fires.  They can't pay for a meal at a restaurant around here....someone else always picks up the check.  They can barely eat, for people coming up to thank them; shake their hands.  People line the roadways when they change shifts ....with signs and cheers and cookies and Gatorade bottles.  There are always some really amazing stories during these times too.  Along with the tragic stories. 

MtRider  ....praying for your community and for you, Midnight.  :pray: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1

The Carr Fire continues to spread and grow. I (and many others) was hoping that once it reached Lake Shasta it would run out of fuel and burn itself out. Unfortunately, the winds have blown it to the west short of it reaching the lake. It is now advancing to the west, toward Weaverville, and at the same time it is advancing to the south. If you can imagine how a balloon expands as you inflate it, you will have a good idea of how this thing is spreading.

The image below shows the current perimeter of this event. That body of water in the center of the fire zone is Whiskeytown Lake - the origin of this blaze. The body of water at the top (with the 3 arms)is Lake Shasta, the location of Shasta Dam and the start of the Sacramento River.

529716054_firemap-sunday.JPG.3286c7cf77899dc59cea86af22e4d4f2.JPG     900214443_firemap-sundayB.JPG.0db11f038e6439b912d61158f2d8fe23.JPG

I live south and east of the incident command center for this fire, so as long as they don't move that I should continue to be "safe" - except for very poor air quality.

This thing will continue to impact our area for months after this thing is finally extinguished! 1f641.png:( Besides all of the people who will continue to be homeless, if we have a productive rainy season there will be the potential for flooding and mud flows due to the loss of all of those trees.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Stay safe!!!!!!!! :pray:

We have family in CA. And we watch news of the fires with concern.

DD used to live near Redding. She's since moved to S.CA and one DS lives near her as well. There's fire risk there also.

She was here to visit (and get a puppy) over the weekend. We discussed her BOBs and evac plans. I worry, of course, but she really has thought it through and is prepared. I feel a little better about her safety. But still we watch the fires and pray.

• Like 3

I found this article that explains HOW and WHY the fire jumped the River. 

Redding's Fire Tornado Was Not Your Garden Variety Fire Whirl (Video)

On Thursday evening, the Carr Fire exploded into the outskirts of Redding, blazing through everything in its path.

By the next morning, through images and video posted online, the world could see the force that had driven the fire’s leap across the Sacramento River and rapid spread into the city: a massive, rotating cloud of smoke and ash and flame. ABC10, which posted one of the most widely shared videos on Twitter, said it wasn’t a tornado. But it sure looked like one.

It was a fire whirl, also known as a fire devil, fire vortex, fire tornado, or “firenado.”

https://www.kqed.org/science/1928143/reddings-firenado-was-not-your-garden-variety-fire-whirl

From the article Midnight posted: {and I canNOT get it to copy/paste correctly  aaugh}

=============/====

"Fire whirls are not an uncommon sight at a wildfire. But they're usually small, up to 1,000 feet high, and last only minutes or even seconds. On Thursday night, the fire whirl outside of Redding stretched to about 18,000 feet into the air and lasted for nearly an hour, and winds were clocked near the lower end of tornado-strength wind speeds.

"It's very rare as well to have these really persistent long-lived events like that, " says Lareau, "To get a big one like this is really scary."

Fire whirls are dangerous not only because of the strength of the winds involved but because they lift embers high into the air, where higher-altitude winds can carry them far from the flaming front. That's one way that fires get past what should be major barriers -- like the Sacramento River."

============/====

[BOLD is mine]

I had heard that the cause of the fire jumping the river was a fire-tornado.  Our monster fire produced at least one - I watched it forming from my parent's house. The fire had been going for quite a number of days by that time.  The fire was so big that it was "creating it's own weather", so to speak.  The fire tornado that I saw was very skinny and was done quickly.  I don't think that one even touched down.  My mouth dropped open seeing it tho.  I'd never heard of this phenomena before that.  The article mentions that this one is unusual due to it's size/wind speeds/and it lasted so long!!!  Like a real tornado.  :(

They are also reporting that the Carr fire is exhibiting two other not-normal behaviors.  Fire moves uphill FAST and downhill SLOW.  There are exceptions to this....great wind will carry the embers WAY downhill and consume a living pine tree in a couple of seconds.  I saw that happen too...fortunately it was miles from where I was standing in my parent's driveway. :o  Not a sight I'll ever forget tho.  Anyway, this article is saying that this monster fire is traveling downhill very rapidly.  :(  Sheeesh!     Pray for the firefighters if it's acting this erratically. 

AND we all know that during the night, cooler temperatures and slightly elevated humidity levels [taking into account that it's ALL dry here in the SW]  mean the fire fighters can usually gain ground.  Usually the wind slacks too.  This article says the fire intensity is remaining high even thru the nights.  :(  

:pray:  Praying for you all out there, Midnight! 

MtRider..... Wow....this is a BAD one! 

Edited by Mt_Rider
tried again to get rid of the GAP....gah!

Aiiiieeee!  What's next....volcano eruption?  Earthquake?  This fire is definitely creating it's own weather!

MtRider  ....did it move any closer to you, Midnight?

11 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

MtRider  ....did it move any closer to you, Midnight?

No, but it is still moving westward. Take a look at the map in the OP. Over to the left is a town called Weaverville; it is on it's way towards that community.

• Like 1

Prayers for everyone in it's path.  :pray:

Firenado. Wow. I never thought of such a thing.  

Animated growth of the Carr Fire. I watched in fascination at the rate of speed it acquired as it crested the hill into the neighborhoods of west Redding. 1f641.png:(

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.