MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Best cell phone for low reception

What kind of cell phone do you have and why if you live in a low reception area?

I can not get a landline here and my cell reception which was fair at best got worse.

To realize no reception when you need it is not a pleasant feeling. To have frantic people trying to call..

• Sad 1

What I did at our last residence, where no cell company got decent reception was to first find out which company had the nearest tower. Though I could not get but 1 bar of signal with that company, 1 bar is better than none.

Then I got a cell signal booster with outside antenna. This arrangement helped to bring what little reception we had outside to the inside of our home. This allowed communication via text message without going outside.

• Like 1

At home I have WiFi which is better than away from home . Here we have the less than mediocre centurylink . Verizon who had teamed with cL took their tower down which was near here..... 

I am thinking about going back to  straighttalk but want my own phone...no Samsung! I think they lease/use the 4 major carriers. I notice they have gone up to $55 monthly.

• 2 weeks later...

We have Century Link for our internet and when we had a home phone, we had to use them also. Calling them mediocre is being nice. How I wish we had a different provider for our internet. We were thinking of changing to satellite, but I'm not sure that would be any better. 

We have Verizon for our cell phones. They are the only carrier that has a tower within 5 miles of us. The service is very patchy here. I never texted until I moved to the country, but it's the only way my family can contact me and I know I will get it. 

Good luck, good cell service is tricky to get. 

We use Cricket (basically, AT&T prepaid so it's on their network).  3 of us are on it for $90/month with unlimited everything.  We buy our phones outright (generally higher-end Samsung - I short out almost everything else).  There are some places out here where AT&T doesn't have service, and some where Verizon doesn't have service.  I was using Virgin Mobile (CDMA) when we first moved out here, but after the day I got stuck in the mud, got the first text out, and didn't get any of hubby's panicked responses until I made it into town, he decided that wasn't going to work.  If Nokia would have used the Android operating system, I would have stuck with them for smart phones - the one I had once upon a time got better reception than anybody else's phone and was practically indestructible.

• Like 1

We are stuck with Century Link, just the basic phone line, with no add-ons, except call forwarding, costs us about $70./mo.  They are the only provider in our area.  For cell phones, we only have Verison, as a choice.  Driving from AZ to TX, streaming music, I usually don't get any dead areas. 

I know certain drivers out there, have blockers, a friend of ours has one too, it interrupts the signal temporarily. 

I only have a cell phone with me when I'm traveling out of state so I go cheap. I use Tracfone. No bells or whistles but it's never failed me. I pay something like $100.00 plus tax a YEAR. I never use up all the minutes from one year to the next.

• Like 2

Tracphone is good where there is service. I do not know the truth about Verizon but it either has been bought out by centurylink or joined in partnership. 

Straighttalk was serviced by 4 which included Verizon. Now they are no longer with them. 

Centurylink is world wide now and could care less about good service. For some reason this makes  me think of Monsanto.