MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

ENGLISH MUFFINS from 1948...not a batter type

My 'share' of the momentos taken from the old home place was Mom's collection of recipes.  Some are wonderful and not easy to find anymore.  I have seen quite a few posts on sites asking for English Muffin recipes for the kind that are NOT a batter type, requiring a ring to shape them, but for a type that is cut out with a cookie cutter, then baked on a griddle.  Sure enough, in an old 1948 bread book (My mom was 18 years old back then...) was one for English Muffins.  

So for those who are looking for a cut out English Muffin, here 'tis.

From the Wheat Flour Institute publication, A Primer of Yeast Breads, from 1948

ENGLISH MUFFINS

1 pkg yeast

1/4 c lukewarm water

1 cup milk

2 TB sugar

1 1/2 tsp salt

3 TB shortening

1 egg at room temperature

4 cups enriched flour (approximately)

Soften yeast in lukewarm water.  Scald milk and add sugar, salt and shortening.  Cool to lukewarm.  Add 2 cups flour and mix well.  Add the softened yeast and an egg.  Beat thoroughly.  

Add enough more flour to make a moderately soft dough.  Turn out on lightly floured board and knead until smooth and satiny.  Put into a greased bowl, greasing the surface lightly.  Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about one hour.  Punch down and let rest 10 minutes.  Roll out dough to 1/4  inch thick.  Cut with a 3 inch cookie cutter.

Cover and let rise on the kneading board until double (about 45 minutes).  Bake slowly on UNgreased heavy griddle or frying pan.  Have the griddle hot at first but then lower the heat to brown the muffins more slowly.  Bake 7-8 minutes per side.  This makes about one dozen 3-inch muffins. 

(I like the idea of baking in a fry pan, which could be done over a fire if the oven/stove/electricity were kaput.)

Bless her, she also left her hand written recipe for the bread she used to make for the family - it makes eight (!) loaves, or as her recipe says, 4 loaves, 2 cinnamon loaves, and a pan of supper rolls.  Yum!  I'm baking tomorrow!

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 3