MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
kappydell

medical testing - ugh

On 10/21/2018 at 11:58 PM, kappydell said:

I have heard of some cats being lovey-dovey then nipping their owners.  Supposedly overstimulation is the culprit - they can only handle so much, then have to run off or lash out.  Watch for the slow sinuous tail movement (relaxed) becoming more erratic, more like a lashing tail rather than a relaxed swing.  Then stop petting & let them jump down & go get a drink of water.

I have a brain-damaged cat who gets overstimulated very easily.  This cat was totally relaxed, sunning himself on the porch near me, and then out of nowhere whipped around and bit.  

But he is not rabid.  I didn't find out until today because the office is closed Mondays.  

Edited by Ambergris
  • Like 3

Thank goodness.  Those shots are NOT nice.

Did a bunch of tests yesterday - tests for carpal tunnel and the other nerve in the hands, on both sides.  Then two MRIs.  The neurologist thought he MIGHT have seen something odd on the first one.  I did them in one day because the Mds cant seem to figure out that cant afford to keep driving 100 miles (round trip) every time they want to play with new toys.  They better find a way to do this stuff closer to home, or I'm finding new docs.  Grrrrrr.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Ambergris....that is GOOOOD news about the strange cat!  No rabies  :amen: 

Kappy....oye, that's a LOT of miles to keep traveling  esp. if one doesn't feel well!  Access to health care in rural America is still a problem..

MtRider ....little late cuz haven't been near Internet.... 

• Like 1

Well.....all my results came back.  More surgery, not surprising since every Md who looked at the CDs of my MRIs said..."You are very messed up"  Went to the neuro doc yesterday and he said my being bent over was NOT my worst back problem.  I have a cervical spine problem - my stenosis is so bad in my neck that he says the spinal cord is squished quite flat.  Asked if I have had numbness....yes, in my hands....clumsiness....yes, but I thought it was arthritis.  He kinda chucked and said, well, yes, it IS arthritis, only in the neck not the hands.  

Apparently it is a fairly straightforward fix...cut my throat, move over everything, remove the degenerating discs, put spacers in their place, and then I wear a neck brace for a few months while everything bonds and heals together.  And if I don't?  I lose more and more function from the neck down - first hands, then walking, and other things until I get pretty helpless.  :yuk:    

I have a friend who had it done, and he speaks highly of it.  He said it also cured his "carpal tunnel" which turned out to be the first symptoms of his spinal cord being pinched.  Hmmmm.  When they tested me for carpal tunnel they told me it could recur.  Mine has, as well as more problems on the other nerve in the wrist.  Hmmmm.  I wonder if it is in my neck, not my wrists?   More questions for him when I see him again.  Surgery being set up for Jan.  Hafta have clearance (a physical) from my regular doc first; then from my cancer doc.  All is being set up and arranged so I just await a phone call with a date.  I swear, I'm going to be the six million dollar woman and no super powers to show for it.  :shakinghead:  Least they could do is a double chin removal while they are there....probably get the same answer as when I asked the cancer doc to do a tummy tuck while he took my uterus (he just laughed  and said "everybody asks us about that"). :sHa_sarcasticlol:  I am eager to do this....I was becoming rather upset over my increasing fumble-fingered-ness....hand sewing was becoming very difficult, typing on the computer was getting harder (LOTS of extra correcting of weird spellings), I was looking into getting special handles for my knives for cooking for better control, and I was even unable to play the piano anymore anywhere near as well as I used to.  I actually cried at being unable to play Chopin any more.  From what the doctor and my friend told me it will correct all that, PLUS help with my chronic pain.  Sounds like a win-win to me.  Bring on the neck brace! :lol:

• Like 1

Oh my, Kappy.  That will certainly be a huge ordeal.....and yet, the benefits should make it well worth it.  Odd huh?  The problem not in the hands...but the neck.  Well, alrighty then! 

MtRider  :pray: 

Good wishes for your surgery Kappy.  My sis has stenosis (?) and she fought it much too long, to the point where they told her surgery or a wheelchair.  It was quite an ordeal with months of recovery, but now she's back on the dance floor and thankful she's walking and not humped over and twisted to one side anymore.  "Father God, guide the hands of these surgeons as they mend these damaged parts of Kappy's neck and spine...in Jesus' name...amen".:pray:

• Like 2

I’ll keep you in my prayers, Kappydell. 

Bad back, surgery not being an option, I will definitely want to hear how you recover. I can only wish they could fix mine. 

:pray:

I had this surgery because my nerve to the arm was  over 80% squashed.  It did me so much good.  Then the next wreck happened...

• Sad 2

TY for the prayers & good wishes, ladies.  I had just been praying (before I talked to the doc) about how sad I was that I was losing the use of my hands...becoming useless is one of my deepest fears...asking for healing, but also telling God that if it was indeed his will I would accept & deal with it.  Then the next day BAM, the doc said he could fix me.  I consider that yet another one of those "little miracles" in my life...it never fails to amaze me.

• Like 2

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.