MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kappydell

medical testing - ugh

Oh joy.  I went to the neurologist on advice of my doc...."I don't like your gait".....as a consult to see if I could do anything else about my back.  I walk hunched over quite a bit.   The PT she sends me to seems to help, but I still tire quickly, then down I go.  So...I took my x-rays and my ct scan films to the neuro folks (40 miles away).  They looked & told me I had an awful back.  Discs degenerated to almost nothing, vertebra slipping all over the place, and 'rotary' scoliosis (didn't even know there was such a thing!).  Now they want MRIs.  40 miles away, again.  (At least they did not demand I drive in Atlanta....NOBODY in GA drives there unless have no choice.)  UGH.  So now I am researching all those back things and various treatments - so I have info and can ask sensible questions.  I do not intent to go the injection route (don't need steroids or other stressors causing a cancer return) and spinal surgery does not impress me with its prognosis.  So into 'research mode' I go.  I need to be armed with data.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Kappy I had mild rotary scoliosis.

I do not know what my hip surgeon did but there has been a big change in my back.

The plan was to do an anterior surgery but my research says with scoliosis a posterior surgery is necessary. So I guess they saw that on the table. Mine was an emergency surgery after a very bad fall.

I've never heard of that either.  Keep us updated. Lots of us with back issues may need to know these things too. :(

Well I got my MRI - I was totally surprised, it was unpleasant, but they really had ways to combat many of the issues with the mri - earplugs for the noise, a decent leg support (as opposed to pillows, which tend to slip and slide and flatten halfway thru the test), and (my favorite) a fan to blow a cool breeze thru the mri tube (it gets HOT in there).  I wouldn't call it a pleasant test, but it was not terrible, either.  I could tolerate it for the 30 min it took for the two scans.  Surprise!  

Surprise #2 - when they gave me my disc with the mri images on it, my computer can actually read it and display the pics!  Now I can take my time looking at the actual films, instead of getting only a glimpse from the doc.  Hoooray!  

Surprise #3 - it looks like I fractured a sacral vertebra when I landed on my posterior (the incident that started the spinal issues).  No wonder everything hurts when I move wrong...or too much...or too long...etc, etc, etc.  So on Tues I will call the neuro folks back & ask when they want me back again.

Heck, if they keep me going into Macon I might even stop getting lost!

Glad you got thru the testing.  MRI is ...not pleasant but at least it doesn't hurt...unless you get uncomfortable holding still.

MtRider  :pray:  for plans for pain improvement

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.