MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
out_of_the_ordinary

another non-electric clothes washer option

We have one of those breathing washer plungers.   When we went a couple months without a working washer, it was too much for me.  I just don't have the strength.   I'm wondering if this might be another option.

https://lavariowasher.com/

• Like 1

Looks interesting. It seemed like she was using a lot of muscle plunging it up and down though and she was a young physically fit person. There was also a lot of water sloshing about. I think, for me, washing the clothes wouldn't be as much of an issue as wringing the water out of them would be.

I wonder why Americans don't use those washer/dryer combo appliances like they use in Great Brittan? It seems like all the houses I see on TV over there has one under their kitchen counter like we have dishwashers.

A few years back I saw an appliance that I think was called a 'spinner'. It was mostly for the Amish. They washed their clothes their regular way then could run them through the spinner to get most of the water out like a regular clothes washer spin cycle. I don't know how well it went over. I'd think the wringer on their washers would do as well. It probably ran on propane or maybe a solar battery. It was a fairly big appliance, not a tabletop job. I don't think Lehmans sold it. Actually, the more I think about it I'm realizing I don't that much about it after all.  :icon19:

I have no real back up plan for laundry. Sigh. Only thing I have is one of those plunger things and a clothes line and some clothes pins. Clothes line... as in I have it in the package somewhere in the basement gathering dust.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, out_of_the_ordinary said:

We have one of those breathing washer plungers.   When we went a couple months without a working washer, it was too much for me.  I just don't have the strength.   I'm wondering if this might be another option.

https://lavariowasher.com/

A youtuber's wife on An American Homestead has one and she loves it.  They're off grid (other than solar and propane) and she says she just sits it in her kitchen and gives it a plunge now and then while she's fixing breakfast or washing dishes or ???  Anyway, she demonstrates it.  Looks pretty nifty to me.

• Like 2

Here it is on An American Homestead site. 

https://anamericanhomestead.com/lavario-portable-off-grid-clothes-washer-video-review/

I'm glad they tested it out and showed it.   I wanted to see someone that wasn't the manufacturer use it.   Now I'm really interested.   It doesn't do well with squeezing the water out, but other than that it looks like it would work better for me than the breathing plunger washer.   

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary
  • Like 1

https://anamericanhomestead.com/lavario-portable-off-grid-clothes-washer-video-review/

It does look interesting. I think it looks better than any of the other small portable manual machines I've seen out there. It really hits home about how difficult doing laundry could become.

I think the only thing I would do differently would be to use the homemade laundry soap because it doesn't suds like the commercial laundry detergents do. That would probably help with the rinsing and wringing.  

• Like 1

I saw this picture the other day. I never thought about washing clothes this way. If it wasn't for this thread fresh in my mind I still probably have thought of it.

A big container would be nice. A nice galvanized tub would be great except I don't think the bottom is flat on the ground. They are raised a couple of inches so I'm not sure how they would handle the weight of a person stomping on it. I'm kind of liking that idea though. It would be good for 'rinsing' the clothes too.  Humm, maybe cut some boards the depth of the bottom lip and round them off to use under the bottom of the tub. Kind of like a round template. I'd use it someplace where I could have rail next to it to balance myself. I seem to tip over easily these days.

My grandma had a round galvanized wash tub that would hold a couple of bushels of stuff. I can't remember what she used it for but I do remember that tub. It was around longer that I was. Picture below looks just like hers. Now that I think about it, I think they make square ones too.

I just checked; the square ones have rounded corners. I've been thinking about buying some for raised bed gardening. Especially the bigger 'horse trough' looking ones. Drill some holes in the bottom for drainage.

The smaller ones would even look nice on a deck with some herbs planted in it. It would be a good way to keep the mint family from spreading all over the yard.

Foot Stomping.jpg

TSC.jpg

Farm Fleet.jpg

Horse Trough Planter.jpg

• Like 2

Jeepers...we found that when we used containers for our gardening needs, drilling the holes in the side...about 3 inches from the bottom...worked better.  It kept some of the water at the bottom for our produce instead of letting it drain out and letting grass grow up through the holes.  Just the way we do it.

• Thanks 1

Gotta love the "stomp-em washer"  Ive done them that way when the washer was broken, except I took my clothes into the bathtub.  Shampoo washes them nicely plus rinses out clean (much like dish soap does).  Washing socks that way gets them quite clean.  As for wringing...  wring by hand, roll them in a towel and stomping (or seriously walking will do) on the towel gets them dry enough so they don't drip when you hang them around the room

If one lays their wet clothes out on an outside table, cover it with a towel and use a rolling pin to squeeze out the excess water...it works pretty good :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.