MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gofish

Revamping the car kit.

My 20 year old car has some unfixable issues. Think rusty death trap.

We are trying to get debt free so a new car is going to be awhile so I purchased a 11 year old car from my niece and paid cash.

I decided to redo the car kit. Basically rusty death trap's kit had been ignored and was missing things.

First thing I got ready was a new first aid kit.

I added finger splints, over the ear masks and gloves. Space is tight and I'll probably only add some Aleve to finish out the kit. The mask choice was because of space and my asthma can't handle the better designed mask for very long. I also have a small Cabela's bag I'm working on, so far I only have a travel pack, some trash bags and different size storage bags. I'll post more on that as I finish the bag.

20181031_095131.jpg

20181031_095147.jpg

20181031_095205.jpg

• Like 3

I have a few medical supplies in my Jeep but not nearly enough. And everything is very old. I really need to update! It says Equate on the front. I assume that is Wal-Mart? I can do that. That looks like a good variety of items.

I look forward to seeing your Cabela bag. Thanks for jogging my memory before winter sets in.

Hope you are doing well with your breathing issues. Lots of people I know are having a hard time this fall with allergies.

• Like 2

Yes I got the first aid kit at Walmart.

Next item I carry with me in my purse is an external battery for my phone. I can recharge my phone 10x with this battery. It is a bit heavy but the have smaller sized batteries. I paid 25 for it and have used it since September. I can also carry a old phone in the car and can use the battery pack to call 911 is something happens to my current phone and car charger.

20181028_142723.jpg

• Like 1

Winter safety kit from Walmart. With a few additions. I added a headlamp, flares, tissues, gas siphon, glow sticks, tire gauge , reflective tape, duct tape and matches.

20181026_171428.jpg

20181101_145320.jpg

20181101_145142.jpg

This morning I found a Coleman sleeping bag in excellent condition for $4.99 at Goodwill.

20181102_110958.jpg

• Like 3

We now have a second vehicle so I need to get it "stocked" so far all we have is 3 bottles of water and 2 Navajo blankets. Oh and a jack of course (LOL) I did put my 4 way lug wrench in the car. It makes getting those darn nuts off easier.

• Like 1

My Geber pocket knife I picked up at a pawnshop today. A high quality made in the USA knife. Most of the survival guys on YouTube recommend Gerber or Leatherman knives.

20181102_150648.jpg

• Like 1

I found a second sleeping bag at Goodwill. It's a Coleman but the condition is not as nice as the one I go yesterday and it not as heavy but I only paid $2.50 for the bag. The both fit nicely in the storage bag I got and I still have a little room in the bag for a few small things. I might add extra clothes to this bag.

20181103_094125.jpg

• Like 1

The hat. On sale $5.00

Chosen because of the ear flaps. Keeps the ears and neck warm. Add a scarf and it should help with keeping body temperature up.

20181103_170813.jpg

• Like 1

Ladies, please, do yourself a favor and get a can or two of that FIX-A-Flat. I get mine at Wal-Mart. It has saved my bacon twice now. Once in the summer and once in the winter. You just stick the little nozzle thing on your tire valve and push the button. It inflates and seals your tire until you can get to where you are going. You don't have to hurry either. It lasts a long time. You have to drive the car right away so the sealant can spread around. That stuff really works unless you have a big blow out. And a tire can be repaired after using Fix-A-Flat.

BTW, it comes in two sizes. I used the regular size when I had a car and the bigger size on the Jeep. I keep two big sizes in the Jeep at all times. All times!

Also a couple of quarts of oil. I had to add oil to my engine when I was on vacation once. The oil light came on so I popped the hood, let things cool down a little and added the oil. It was a good fix until I got back home. And I didn't have to rely on old 'Jack The Ripper' out there coming to my rescue or burning up my engine. You do know where the oil goes and how to read a dipstick right? Don't be a dipstick ladies. Learn to out smart them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fix-A-Flat-Tire-Sealant-16oz-S60420/198298503?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=2266&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42423897272&wl4=pla-51320962143&wl5=9015346&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=198298503&wl13=2266&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy6iAucO63gIVRrbACh3OUQwoEAQYAiABEgK4JvD_BwE

• Like 3

There are several flat tire fixes I'm looking at and oil, a bottle of Heat and antifreeze are a Must carry in my opinion. I just can't spare the money this week.

A little at a time. I have a list of everything I need and when I find a deal I will get it but I'm making sure I get something on my list every paycheck. Right now the engine mounts need replacement. Car maintenance is important too. I had to use a hammer on a starter for a few weeks one time.

Do you know most newer cars don't have a spare tire anymore? They  just provided an inflation kit. I found that out as my daughter just purchased her first car.

I'm not impressed with the jumper cables provided in the winter kit I just got but they will do in a pinch. I will replace the cables with a heavier longer pair after I finish my kit. A better pair will not fit in the safety kit I got but I can use the space for something else after I replace them.  I also want a get a better shovel than the one provided in the winter kit. I got the kit because it provided the absolute minimum equipment needed for $25.00

I agree having the stuff is useless if you don't know how to use them. YouTube videos are great for information.

• Like 2

Note to self 

Our friend ran out of gas tonight. It took over an hour to get to him. Keep tank at least 1/2 full.

• Like 2

I love Goodwill.

2 scarfs and a pair of socks ($2.18) for the car. I also wanted a way to at least boil water and while not very portable I found a small fondue set that I can use alcohol, sterno or wood as fuel and it was only a few dollars and I can keep a few sterno can in the box although I am looking for a smaller carrying bag for it, there is a lot of waisted space in the box.

20181105_132232.jpg

20181105_132206.jpg

20181105_132201.jpg

20181105_132317.jpg

• Like 1

Small hatchet with firestarter, hand warmers, and a decent emergency blanket added to my kit.

I also found glow sticks on sale after Halloween.

20181101_144513.jpg

20181101_171251.jpg

20181108_192426.jpg

Ordered some new water purifying tablets because the old ones were in a glass bottle that was broken.  While I was at it, got a much, much larger fire-starting ferro rod.  This one should be much easier to hold and harder to break, and it fits in the new container I'm calling a soap box.

• Like 1

The survival blanket can also be used as a tarp to put down on the ground to change a tire. 

• Like 1

My husband told me to try Menard's for some things so I went looking today and they do have some of the things I want at a better price than Walmart.

Good topic!!!  And great ideas for vehicle kits. 

Whenever I stash a sleeping bag, I always stuff a couple pairs of wool sox, knit hat, knit gloves inside it.  If you have to use it, those will make things much warmer.  Especially if you've been using your usual hat/gloves/sox out in the wet/snow.....dry extras are GOOD!

MtRider  .....we're scheduled for more white, wet stuff on Sunday....  :frozen:

• Like 1

I go to Menards all the time. They have a reflective hat I'm thinking of getting along with a vest.

3 school children were kill getting on the bus near where my husband grew up. I want to be as visible as possible in case of breakdown or accident.

• Like 1

I am adding hot hands and foot warmers to our bag. Hot hands to stick in the coat pockets if I have to walk and the foot warmers to toss in the sleeping bag, so that we can conserve gas in the car or if it is not safe to run the car to keep the heat on. 

Gofish we found glow sticks to after Halloween. 10 cents each I bought all they had. We are about to strike out on a 12 hour car trip so I must get the car ready this next week. The trip down won't be so bad. I am; however, concerned about the return trip. so I am going to make sure if we get stuck we are warm and have food and water.

I like the bag you used but I am going to use those bags that you can flatten so I can store them under the seats, since we have an suv and it doesn't have a trunk.

https://www.target.com/p/space-bag-storage-bags-clear/-/A-53318458?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=bing_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Storage%2BOrganization%2BShopping&adgroup=SC_Storage%2BOrganization&LID=700000001230728pbs&network=s&device=c&querystring=space saver storage bags&msclkid=0b3080cc8186151480b0db2b8f9887d6&gclid=CLmf-Pmlyt4CFT2GxQIdO6ICCw&gclsrc=ds

• Like 1

I know the sleeping bag bag takes up half the trunk space so I might get some space bags too.

I got another pair of socks. If I like them after I try them on I'll get another pair. Dry feet are happy feet. I'm looking for winter boots for my hard to fit foot. What a pain.

Emergency Nana bag is almost ready. I just need to wash my pj's and slipper socks so if they need me to stay the night Nana will be ready.

I need to work on gloves. I have a heavy wool pair but they are difficult to wear for every day use, so I'll just keep them in the car for extra. I did find a nice pair of driving gloves I'll get next week and I'd like a wind proof pair like snowmobile gloves.

20181110_153618.jpg

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.