MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gofish

Revamping the car kit.

Well Gofish you have lit a fire under me. As I stated in my post above we are embarking on a 12 hour road trip soon and well I didn't want to put it off any longer. I am bad we had been without funds for so long and now that we have a few extra dollars I am being a mizer. I could not justify not stocking the Silver Surfer (that is what I named the car) any longer. On the plus size our Walmart has their "stocking stuffers" and man gifts out so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. We got a really nice emergency road kit with the triangle and jumper cables (8 cage) for $20. It has towing rope and a few other things. I picked up road flares to go with it. I picked up one of the long ice scrappers that has a brush on the other end. Also added a funnel. I got one that had a screw on extension for those hard to reach places. I also found 2 in 1 work light & pen light (two pen lights and 2 work lights). The work light will fit in your hand and has a 360* swivel hook as well as a magnetic base. They will fit in the small tool box I have for the car just fine. They even came with batteries all for $10. Next is the first aid kit. I was just going to pull stuff from our kit in the house but dang I have let it get low. So we now have a stocked kit in the car. Wasn't fancy like Gofish, I just added craft sticks and tape for finger splints, but I did splurge and get the one that has stuff for 1st & 2nd degree burns. Just never know when you are going to touch something hot on a broke down car. I forgot the mask so need to pick some up. Also found a tire kit, it has the green slime and a small inflator you can plug in to your car and inflate your tire. It was only $20 and I figure on some of the roads we are going to have to travel it is $20 well spent. It is like 250-300 miles between towns peace of mind is worth $20.  It came with a tire gauge but I picked up a digital one also. We already have sleeping bags but I picked up the ziplock space bags that you suck the air out of and the sleeping bags will go in them. Also ran across a small box of Wetfire. It is a pack of 5 all weather tinder so we can add it to our BOBs. I also picked up one strike anywhere match. We have some other fire starters but I have wanted one of the strike anywhere match for a while. Also got hot hands. My big splurge and I had to argue with hubby for is a SUV floor jack. The car has one of those little jacks but I am terrified of them. When I was just learning to drive my mom had taken me out on some country back roads and we had a flat. While changing said flat the jack gave way and my arm got penned between the tire and car. So I only use a floor jack and for added security a jack stand and wheel chok. So my shopping trip wasn't cheap after that but it will last longer than the car. Now just to add oil and antifreeze and I think we will be set.

• Like 3

Gofish we have mechanic gloves. They are great, no slip but they are flexible enough to use as driving gloves. You need a good pair of gloves if you have to change a tire especially if it blew out. You do not want to cut a hand on a blown out tire.

• Like 2

We keep Miss B ready to go as far as a full tank of gas and both the house battery and the engine battery charged up by starting her frequently...especially in cold weather.  We also keep her propane tank full so we can use the stove...but the furnace would run us out of propane very quickly...so we have a 9 volt little heater that we could plug into our usb hub.  We did remove all freezeable things however ... but keep it all in a box in our back entry porch ready to grab and go.  She's pretty much for a get out of dodge thing though.  The truck...well it's not very well equipped at all since we mostly stay in our home town.  

Edited by The WE2's
  • Like 2

Good for you, Mommato3!  You'll feel more secure on your car trip. 

Here's an article I just ran into.....seems like a hot topic right now. 

https://www.mdcreekmore.com/must-have-items-for-your-car-emergency-kit-a-checklist/

Did anyone mention having a full rain suit / snow suit to protect you while changing tires or shoveling a car out of snowy ditch.  Boots.  If you're dressed-for-success in office attire, slipping into a rain or snow suit will protect your clothing and your health.  We were dressed for a wedding and got a flat tire in a huge thunder storm.  Dangerous lightning.  DH put on his rainwear and protected his good clothes.  ....never did make it to the wedding with all that hooha tho... 

Don't forget the visibility vest/clothing that GoFish mentioned earlier...especially if your rain wear or snow suit isn't blaze orange.

Course I'm mentioning SNOWSUITS cuz we're getting snow right now.  Oddly...the Doppler doesn't even show it today.  :scratchhead: 

MtRider  :frozen: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 3

MT3B, I'm using those space bags for clothes during my move. I get the medium size but they look small to me. Which is good for me because I can't handle anything big and heavy. Those bags get surprisingly heavy when the air is removed. I could only handle 2 at a time. Don't know why that is.

Son helped me unload them and was amazed by how much they held, how heavy they are for their size and how flat they get! The only issue I noticed with them is if you have something in them that is still in their plastic bag, the space bag won't suck out as much air. I had a couple of night gowns that were still in the bag they came in and the Space Bag didn't flatten nearly as much as the other ones. It would have helped if I had taken them from their bag or maybe poked a hole in the bags.

I need to upgrade socks and gloves. Anymore, when my fingers and toes get cold they sting and it feels like shock waves are going through them. Very painful. Especially the toes when I walk.

I wish we had a Menards here. I always go there when I go to Indiana or down to Amish country. I love that store.

• Like 2

We have a lot of those "space" type bags...we watch Harbor Freight and catch them on sale if we can.  We use them to switch out our seasonal clothes, and yes...they can get very heavy if they're the big ones.  I let hubby lift those!  

• Like 1

While looking for something important I found a cooling cloth my work place gave us this summer. You wet it and wrap it around your neck or head. Being a texture person I don't like the feel of them but I thought I would add it to the kit. They don't take up much room. Also added another flashlight and a small petroleum jelly. It can be used for lips ,hands and firestarter.

Interesting idea I just heard about and will have to try out.

Russian army trick, carry a small piece of baking/ parchment paper with you. That way you can leave a note and if it gets wet it won't disintegrate.

20181110_105057.jpg

6 minutes ago, gofish said:

Russian army trick, carry a small piece of baking/ parchment paper with you. That way you can leave a note and if it gets wet it won't disintegrate.

REALLY?  How cool is that?

MtRider  :thumbs: 

• Like 1

Hubby did have to put a few things in the truck this morning so he could make the trip to the Roost to see if the furnace was lit...good thing he went because it wasn't!  The thermostat said it was 50 which is what we keep it set at during the winter, but it wouldn't have remained there for much longer with these freezing temps.  He went to the homestead and cleared the walks, salted and checked everything. The snow hasn't done much melting because it's so cold and not much sunlight.  Tomorrow it's to warm up "a bit" with mostly sun so maybe some of this will go away.  When you're not living in a place you have to have security light but also make your presence known by walking up and into an entrance and back tracking several times.

• Like 1

Church garage sale today so for 5 dollars I got some gloves, boots and a rechargeable lamp.

Plus a picnic basket for potluck dinners.

20181115_163534.jpg

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.