MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
mommato3boys

Is it me or...

Is it me or has places like Emergency Essentials and other online places stopped giving codes out for discounts. May be I am not getting them because I haven't ordered in a while. But I have noticed I am getting few and few "special sale" notices.

Edited by mommato3boys

The only discount code I get anymore is from Harmony House. About all they have is dehydrated food and flours.

She needs to get out of my head. She voiced my fears. I guess it is time to double down and suck it up and continue on prepping.

Basically we have gotten lax since Trump has gotten in office. That we are growing complacent and it is going to bite us in the butt soon rather than later. That we should not only be prepping supplies but knowledge....lots of knowledge. 

• Like 1

All our friends, especially our library friends, shake their heads in wonder because we "hoard" books.  Books for DIY, gardening, food preservation, and especially novels etc.  We turned one complete upstairs room at the homestead into our own personal library.  Why?  In a life changing event where there's no longer computers, electrical service, gas for generators etc...what will people do to relax after they've worked their tushes off trying to stay warm and survive?  Just our way...

• Like 2

I love word find puzzles, he likes solitaire.  We set back decks of cards and I collect the word find puzzles.  Also crayons and coloring books, sketch books for myself, lots of crochet yarn and he collects hand tools that he can carve or create things with wood etc.  Again, just our way.

• Like 3

I'm doing that too We2. When I go to the Dollar Tree I pick up a couple of Word Search and Easy Cross Word puzzle books. I have bunches of books too. I have books for enjoyment and not just prep books. Especially the Little House on the Prairie type books. I need to complete my Foxfire series too.

I want to get a few jigsaw puzzles. I like when you can work them on a card table and walk away for awhile. I don't have a card table though and tying up the dinning room table gets old.

When Toys R Us went out of business I bought a boat load of games (not toys) for grandson. He's way too young for them now but in a few years we will be playing Candy Land, Chutes and Ladders and Bingo etc. Then I got games for when he is older like Monopoly Jr. etc. I think I might need a card table.

It's so true about when there is no power. Especially Internet. Mine went out for a few hours a couple of nights ago. I discovered that if your books are only in your 'cloud' and not actually downloaded, you can't access them without Internet. Also, most of my apps didn't work on Kindle Fire and I couldn't pull up the program I've been using to cram for my drivers license test. Some games worked but only up to a certain level. When it needed to load a new level, it wouldn't do it without Internet. All of those observations were news to me!

This weekend the power went out at sons house. They got an email saying the power would be restored by noon. It went off around 9:00am. DIL had a load of laundry in the washer and one in the dryer. Sons winter jacket was in the washer. It was about 34 degrees out. It was starting to get chilly in the house. We were going shopping later but decided to go around 10:00am so by the time we got home the power would be on. Long story short...it didn't come on until after 4:00pm and it was getting dark outside and colder. Turned out some guy hit a pole and knocked out the electricity. They have gas heat but with no electricity to run the furnace fan, it was getting uncomfortable. DIL groused about the heat. Son groused about no TV and g'son and I played on the floor with cars and Little Tykes sets. The younger generation is doomed.

• Like 3

I got thinking about the ‘conversation drift’ in this thread, “...easier to find something on the net, than to thumb through a book...”, when I was organizing my cooking & crafting books. 1800’s,  early 1900’s mid century, etc. Any time I find a recipe or instructions, I like online, I pull some blank paper, write it down and file them.  I’ve had too many hard drive crashes for me to trust my computers. 

• Like 5

One half-step I do....when I find something in an article or whatever on the Net....I copy/paste the text to my WordProcessing program and file it.  It's still electronic but I don't have to be connected to Internet to access it again.  Also....sometimes articles "disappear"....  :behindsofa: 

MtRider  ...riding the thread drift...  :lol: 

• Like 1

But I digress. I give fair warning above my non-existent avatar.  LOL

ADD, OCD, WXYZ....something shiney... SQUIRREL!

I do the copy/paste to Word too. I have all of my canning recipes in the computer, on an external drive and printed out. I especially like them printed out. I just grab the notebook and start right in. 

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:32 PM, The WE2's said:

All our friends, especially our library friends, shake their heads in wonder because we "hoard" books.  Books for DIY, gardening, food preservation, and especially novels etc.  We turned one complete upstairs room at the homestead into our own personal library.  Why?  In a life changing event where there's no longer computers, electrical service, gas for generators etc...what will people do to relax after they've worked their tushes off trying to stay warm and survive?  Just our way...

My dream is to have enough space for a personal library.  Meanwhile I have boxes & boxes of books in storage.  Homesteading stuff, how to fix it stuff, even some textbooks (thank you thrift shops) from the tech school on esoteric skills like lawnmower repair...treadle sewing machine repair...etc.  (Big sigh) I will undoubtedly have at least one storage unit … forever …. full of such things.  I dearly want to purchase the treadle sewing machine retro-fit kit and a new machine with the right attributes to use it, but I'm getting LOTS of resistance from family & friends, mostly "why do you want this stuff, you don't sew clothes or even alter them anymore.  Grrrr.  That is not the POINT!  It is that I can if I WANT to.  Grrrrr.

Same with the books.  (At least my late spouse understood my love of those.) Who knows the value of a good library in an unpowered future?  Who wants their electronic library accessible to power failure, hackers, or big brother control?  

BTW, I am looking for good text books on basic engineering, PRE 1960s (before mechanical engineering became largely eclipsed by electronics).  Never know when you might need to know how to figure out how much stress a bridge truss could handle, you know....

• Like 4

8 hours ago, kappydell said:

Who knows the value of a good library in an unpowered future?  Who wants their electronic library accessible to power failure, hackers, or big brother control?  

Exactly, and knowledge can often be equated to dollars in an upheaval! We keep memberships in several local libraries and check them often for "book bag" sales, freebies and cheap book sales.  We've often found bag sales where we paid $1 for a WM bag full of books.  Lots of libraries are divesting themselves of paper books of all kinds and going to digital....so we keep watch and take advantage of books that can give us information on just about anything.  Hope you find the ones you're interested in!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The WE2's said:

Lots of libraries are divesting themselves of paper books of all kinds and going to digital....

Our library got a brand new, 2 story building. I asked if the could use some books, ones we wanted to clear out to make more room. “No.”  They said they are strictly digital now. I went in, and all they had were DVD’s everywhere but no paper books. So sad. 

• Sad 5

13 hours ago, Annarchy said:

Our library got a brand new, 2 story building. I asked if the could use some books, ones we wanted to clear out to make more room. “No.”  They said they are strictly digital now. I went in, and all they had were DVD’s everywhere but no paper books. So sad. 

Unfortunately (I have heard) that they are just destroying the books or pitching them in dumpsters...rather than sell them cheap or even give them away.  One of the library's we maintain a membership at has a rack that's "free" and a rack that's "make an offer" ...we hit them really regular!

• Sad 1

That's really sad about your library Annarchy. Our library is rated at the top in the nation and I'm really going to miss it. I need to learn how to download some of the  books just to keep my card active. I don't know how good the library system will be where I'm moving to. 

This reminds me, I still have my grandma's old treadle sewing machine in the basement. It's probably rusted up by now but that would be a good project for son and I to work on next winter. I think I remember the bobbin and shuttle were missing. I have a lot of researching to do on that old machine. It's one of the old Singer machines where the head doesn't move to fit into the cabinet.

• Like 2

Jeepers I am not sure downloading is permanent from the library. Here depending on checkout..two or three weeks and it will disappear on your kindle or whatever you down loaded on.

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.