MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
out_of_the_ordinary

Making the Best of Basics

I've saw this book "Making the Best of Basics Family Preparedness Handbook".  https://www.lehmans.com/product/family-preparedness-handbook/

I was wondering if anyone here had it?   Lehmans lists the table of contents.   Several of the chapters would not be useful to me  (celiac disease, food allergies).   If you omitted the chapters dealing with most foods and recipes, is the book still worth it?   Or is it common knowledge?

It does have a lot of recipes, but also some useful nuggets you won't find elsewhere, such as how long a gallon of lamp oil will give you light. The food preservation info was good too.  I found it worth the money, and even bought one for my sister in law when she asked about prepping basics.  I liked it because it was more oriented to how to survive using old-time techniques rather than a lot of expensive and high maintenance 'stuff'.  I also liked the cross referencing it did to find other sources of info and 'stuff'.  

It would be one of my rock bottom basic library, along with nuclear war survival skills, dare to prepare,  and cooking with home storage.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 3

What size is the font, and what edition do you have?  I'm still having a lot of trouble reading, and by this point I'm probably not going to get much better.

Mine was printed prior to Y2K, then the newer ones I got for my SIL were used editions from Amazon from 2004.  Info was the same, some updates on the 'links' printed inside, but much, much, MUCH cheaper!  The font was fairly large (14 or so) except in the reference/link pages, that was phone book sized.  OMG remember

phone books?  Youngsters don't even know what they are for. (LOL.)  I just tell them they were for using with the phone that hung on a wall.  Then they get reeeeely puzzled! LOL!

Edited by kappydell
  • Haha 1

I have it and it does have a lot of useful knowledge in it. Mine is the 2010 edition and yes, the print is pretty small. Not tiny but small none-the-less. I'd have issues with it if I was lying in bed reading it but sitting in a chair with the light right beside me wouldn't be a problem. And my eyes are bad lately.

My LDS friend gave me this one decades ago.  Then she needed a copy quick, to teach a class.  So I sent it back to her and replaced it with a good condition-used copy....which I knew I could find easily.  I use their instructions for making yogurt.  Other stuff. 

MtRider  :reading: 

I don't have the book...but I did manage to collect nearly all of the Foxfire series and absolutely love them!  What a treasure trough of knowledge from the old timers!

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.