MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kappydell

Gardening Through the Winter

Guest mh isback

hi ya ladies Mary here. ty all for the compliments on our garden and yard. i lve working outsideand this yard needs alot of it badly,wasnt touched for 12 yrs. s etc. next project is make a path down to the creek so we can sit and look at our lil creek, then cut trees out for a shooting range as we have a 50 ft drop offo it needs alot of thinning of trees

:hi:  Hiya, Chainsaw Mary!!  We feel like we know you too, from hearing about the adventures of reclaiming that piece of property.  Love the pics and drool over the garden.  How did it fare with the recent COLD?

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 1

MARY!  WELCOME!  :hi:

It's so nice to see you post. I love looking at all of the pictures of your garden and hearing about your adventures from Kappydell. I've gotten a lot of good advise and info from you guys already. 

You are very much welcome to post here anytime. Don't be a stranger. 

Last but not least...thank you for your service.  

• Like 1

Chainsaw Mary says thank you for the warm welcome.  Today she was out raking pine needles.  They harbor fleas, and our dog dodger loves-loves-LOVES to roll in them.  Then he cant figure out why we chase him down for a flea bath (he acts like such a martyr)! Tomorrow we have doctors appointments, so I can get cleared for neck surgery (I joke abut having my throat cut)

Making up a good tall tale to explain that new scar will be fun.  I've already got good ones we made up about vampires (to explain the shoulder scars - I ducked & it missed); about my cancer scars  (six) from the robot assisted surgery (that was a BIG fight over a parking space);  my hip & knee replacement scars (gators); still thinking about what to say about the neck scar.  Now what kind of tall tale would be fun?  Hmmm.  My last surgeon laughed out loud when I told him about making up spectacular tales because after all, every scar tells a story.  Might as well make it a good, spectacular, leg-pulling, whopper.  :darthduck:

• Haha 6

Um....the folks at the blood donation center got a little too enthusiastic?  :o

MtRider  :rolleyes: 

• Haha 1

On 1/22/2019 at 11:12 PM, Mt_Rider said:

Um....the folks at the blood donation center got a little too enthusiastic?  :o

MtRider  :rolleyes: 

that sounds MUCH better than I cut myself shaving....which is all I can think of offhand.  Or I got into a political discussion and lost my head?   Tonight I picked my doc a "produce package" - all the garden weathered the lows beautifully, so now we are picking like the dickens.  From left to right: lettuce broccoli mixed kale, collards, spinach and a head of cabbage.  We see her at 7 AM tomorrow, so we thought we would surprise her.  

IMG_3633.JPG

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 4

Wow....that's quite a haul.  Glad it has not been frosted!  Nice bribe for your doc to care for you reallllly well!  :lol: 

MtRider  .... :lois:  ...I think I'll move to GA and be your neighbor!  ;) 

1 hour ago, Mt_Rider said:

Wow....that's quite a haul.  Glad it has not been frosted!  Nice bribe for your doc to care for you reallllly well!  :lol: 

MtRider  .... :lois:  ...I think I'll move to GA and be your neighbor!  ;) 

Cmon down!  You can stay in our spare bedroom while you look around for a place to live!  Taxes are cheap & if you are over 65 you get free college tuition at the state colleges.

(I told M the other day I should sign up for a political science class and argue with the professor all term, since it does not matter if he fails me for it.  It would be fun to play devils' advocate, and drive him cray-cray.)

• Haha 4

We are taking down the winter garden to set up the early summer one.  So my final "winter garden" report is a positive one.

With the warming of the days the brassica are starting to bolt - so we picked a final huge batch (took me a couple weeks to eat thru it).  The only survivors (not bolted or picked yet) are the lettuces I planted in January to see how they would grow in the cold.  They came up slowly, but with the warmer days they have grown full size and are nice and full and large.  I have found that seeds planted in cooler temps produce stockier plants, and that has proven true with the lettuce.  The brussels sprouts, planted late from seed, did not get real big-they did produce a cute little tennis ball "topper" and some dime size sprouts.  Next year I want to have them started earlier, so they are full sized by the cold days.  They will keep nicely but won't get bigger.  The carrots grew differently in the cold, too - the leaf stems were very short, the leaves forming a kind of flat rosette over somewhat pale roots.  They were full sized, though.  I wonder if less sunshine made the roots pale?  Less beta-carotene?  Interesting.

The thing we have to carry us thru the "hungry gap" is cabbages.  Jersey Wakefield heads did not get very compact/firm/hard headed, but the Danish Ballheads were nice and hard, albeit smaller than usual.  About 3 lbs or so apiece, which just happens to be the perfect size for us two to use 1 head per meal.  Also perfectly sized to fit in the fridge.

The collards and kale were especially good producers, and enthusiastically accepted.  Culy/savoyed types 'handled the cold better than the flat types.  I also found the mixed greens, often containing leaves of brassica not usually used (broccoli leaves, brussels sprout leaves) really tasty.  I assume they are not normally eaten because they are a little tougher than many greens, but I found if I de-stemmed, rolled & shredded them like collards they cooked up tender. (Bright green leafy shreds in the stir fries are sooooo pretty!)  I also enjoyed the buds from the bolting brassica that had not yet turned yellow.  Similar to broccoli.

Things I wish I had put in more of?  Green onions.  Radishes.  Lettuce.  Spinach.  Things to try?  Doc loves turnip greens...I'd like to put some in for wintering over.  They supposedly can take some cold.  I have to research if they will grow in the heat too.  

So goodbye winter garden, hello summer garden.  Eating seasonally, we will switch from collards to mustard greens.  Our friends are starting to hint that I need to put in more okra, too (lol) one of those things you either love, or hate.  One experiment for summer will be to plant "stickless wonder" a bush type yard-long bean to bear when the heat makes the regular green beans go dormant.  Hopefully Mary will like them - I like 'most anything, so I know I will.  There is something cool about a green bean that grows 18 inches long, and thrives in the heat and humidity.  Tomatoes developed for Florida & Texas should tolerate the heat, too.  If they do, I will be saving seeds to tweak them for our local needs.  

Winter garden, see you in November!  All in all, you were a resounding success!

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 2

On 3/14/2019 at 12:26 AM, kappydell said:

de-stemmed, rolled & shredded them like collards they cooked up tender

Sounds like a job for an "Insta Pot"! :cook:

On 3/14/2019 at 12:26 AM, kappydell said:

okra, too (lol) one of those things you either love

We love the stuff!  I have learned how to can them up using a "sterilization/pasturization" process with my roaster.  I rinse them off, roll them in corn meal mix and into the fry pan they go!  Or...I jar them up with tomatoes and corn...which is wonderful poured over pasta.  Freezing them is okay too! :24:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.