MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mommato3boys

Weird things in your first aid kit....

13 hours ago, Sarah said:

Amputation of right leg below the knee is hampering

Wow!  What a tremendous thing to go through, but I'm confident that you'll get up "and running" (tongue in cheek!) very quickly.

I bought a couple containers of eye wash solution at Wal-Mart a few years ago. It was tucked away on the bottom shelf under the contact lens stuff. I think it is called saline solution. Don't forget one of those little eye glasses repair kits. Even if you don't wear glasses you can use it to fix sunglasses. I also have some water that I pressure canned to use for eye or wound care.

I saw a box online that locks so you can keep Rx meds safe in it. It was white with a red cross on it. Only thing is it is sort of expensive for what it is. I think I can get one of those locking 'cash box' things at Wal-Mart that would do the same thing and cheaper. I thought about keeping meds safely away from g'son too. Wonder if they make a regular medicine cabinet that locks?

Sounds like you have a good plan for getting your things organized.

• Like 2

We've had DH's granmother's glass eye wash cup.  Always in the "medicine" cabinet wherever we live.  Has come in handy numerous times.  They make them in plastic now. 

....hate having something in my eye!  Cuz you often can't get the eye opened to see the problem. 

MtRider ....I also have bifocal reader glasses in the First Aid kit.....strong ones so I can see well for splinters, etc. 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2018 at 9:40 PM, Mt_Rider said:

...I also have bifocal reader glasses in the First Aid kit.....strong ones so I can see well for splinters, etc. 

:scratchhead:   Sheeeesh.....things are getting desperate around here.  DH and I must be having a contest...which of us will locate our missing brains first.   He just dropped the juice lid down into the mayo jar....cuz he grabbed the wrong lid.  :lol:   And I have NO recollection of putting the reader glasses in there.  I remember THINKING it was a good idea.... also don't remember posting this, obviously.  :gaah:  OK...off to go solve this mystery. 

OK...it's in the First Aid stuff in the bathroom drawer.  So I repositioned them into the First Aid [take if have to BO] cuz I've got a lot of other readers close by.  Also positioned a cigg liter in each of our small mobile kits - in case we'd have to sterilize a needle or something.  Alcohol swaps dehydrate at our house so are often useless in the kits. 

MtRider  ....I come here to see where I put things????  :wacko: 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm going to check out some readers next time I go to the Dollar Tree. I'm near sighted so I've never had a problem reading anything up close. Until this week. Twice I had to get a magnifying glass out to read something on the Kindle.  Sigh.  I just had my eyes tested last month. He mentioned bifocals but I said I'd rather just take my glasses off for close up work. I'm afraid bifocals will make me dizzy or trip me up. So I'll improvise. 

7 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I'm going to check out some readers next time I go to the Dollar Tree. I'm near sighted so I've never had a problem reading anything up close. Until this week. Twice I had to get a magnifying glass out to read something on the Kindle.  Sigh.  I just had my eyes tested last month. He mentioned bifocals but I said I'd rather just take my glasses off for close up work. I'm afraid bifocals will make me dizzy or trip me up. So I'll improvise. 

That's probably a good idea for barter.

• Like 2

I got one of our female medics laughing.  Aquaphor is what they use in their official kits, in large jars.  But, Bagbalm has the same ingredients.  In my kit, in a repurposed lip balm jar.  (And yes, I am large breasted, which is what got her hooting.).

The eye cups, glass and plastic.  But have never found a good way to keep them clean.  Nor have I found a good 'universal.  If you have a real optician near you, one that actually makes in-house, ask for 'burn glasses' lens...  They are like a goggle lens, but much better universal fit.  

For what it is worth, think about your containerization.  I use zip lock bags, but always seem to be the wrong size.  I am using one of the bag resealers, those handheld battery ones.  I pop whatever is into the bag, and seal on the side opposite the zipper.

Tomorrow, I get the prosthetic.  Yay!

PS. ArmyofFiveforGod, dead link in your signature.

• Like 2

On 12/13/2018 at 10:29 PM, Jeepers said:

I saw a box online that locks so you can keep Rx meds safe in it. It was white with a red cross on it. Only thing is it is sort of expensive for what it is. I think I can get one of those locking 'cash box' things at Wal-Mart that would do the same thing and cheaper. I thought about keeping meds safely away from g'son too. Wonder if they make a regular medicine cabinet that locks?

Ammo cans.  Kinder are not strong enough to open them.  We used to use them, painted white with a red cross, attached to the field equipment.  But again, kinder not strong enough to open.

• Thanks 2

I have a wooden armoire in my bedroom  that I keep all my medical supplies in.    Like Jeepers, mine is all sorted into labeled bins or labeled shelf space.    My sections are:  Teeth, Ears, Feet, eyes, Rx, Cold/Flu, Skin, Wound Care, Pain, and Paranoid.   I keep the weird things in paranoid like some plastic sheeting, extra garbage bags, etc.  I also keep a list of where the other things are in paranoid bin (like the wheelchair & IV stand in the shed or the shower chair in the garage.)     I like to keep everything in my room so that I can control inventory.  

I don't have any body bags though.  :bow:  I may need to go shopping.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ya know a long time ago I thought about ammo boxes but for some reason I didn't think you could buy them. Especially around here. A quick peek at Amazon proved me wrong. They have plenty of them. Who knew! I should have. They have everything. That's where I got the body bags. :blush:

So, next month (if I don't forget) I plan to get a couple. One even said it was water and air tight. One had a padlock. They aren't real expensive either. Thanks Sarah.

I'm sure you are excited to get your new leg. Hope all goes well for you and your adjustment period is fast.  :pray:

• Like 1

My DIL made a jar of something called morphine in a jar or something silly like that. It's made with essential oils and coconut oil as a carrier. It's for topical use and supposed to be for pain relief. She made it for my arthritis in the neck. It didn't work BUT it does help with my burning neuropathy pain on my leg. It's messy and smells to high heaven, not necessarily in a bad way,  but it does take away some of the fire and sting. It's solid until it hits the skin. I dab it on with a tissue or a makeup remover round thing. I need to get her recipe. 

• Like 1

If she will share her recipe, I'd love to have it.  My mom gets neuropathy pains in her feet and it can keep her up for a couple nites in a row.  She's recently gotten fairly good results with a product called Blue Emu.  It doesn't work every single time tho.  Yes...it IS blue! 

MtRider  :)

• Like 1

She will share and so will I. I don't get the pins and needle pain. I have one spot on my upper leg about the size of a silver dollar that burns like crazy. Thankfully it doesn't happen very often but when it does it feels like a hot match on my leg. It's really strange and on an even stranger place. :shrug:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't take NSAIDS because of my GI surgery a few years back and I have a meniscal tear in my knee.  I got a Rx  topical Voltaren Gel and it is amazing on my knee and on fingers for arthritis.  

Edited by euphrasyne
spelling

Oh yes Euphrasyne, I use that Voltaren Gel too. Funny you should mention that because I got a call from the pharmacy yesterday saying my refill was ready for pickup. 

I've had amazing pain relief since I stopped eating sugar.  Also, down nineteen and a half pounds.

Ok for the trauma kit I have decided on an under the bed tote and I found drawer organizers to go it so I organize stuff. The tackle box will be our standard first aid kit. But I am thinking about getting a rolling tool box that had drawers and putting everything in it. That way I will have a large compartment to put bottles in and they will stand up.

Next dilemma....get our savings back up and our cash on hand restocked. Having a man down and out of work 2 1/2 years is a test and a half. 

• Like 2

They have those under the bed totes you can buy. They aren't very tall and have rollers on them so you can slide them under easily. I have no idea how expensive they are. Probably made by Sterilite (sp). 

Another good idea I've seen are dresser drawers. If you see an old cheap dresser you can use the drawers for under the bed storage.

Those plastic or rubber things you can get to go under each of the legs of your bed are pretty cheap at Wal-Mart. Bed risers. Or cement blocks for that matter. Put a leg in the hole of each block so your bed won't go sliding off down the hall in the middle of the night. 

Lots of storage space under a bed. 

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.