MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mt_Rider

Overprotection: help or hurt our survival?

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-overprotected-kid-573320270

I was in recreation for part of my career.  You've read of some of the challenging things we took the kids/teens thru.  I'd read about this type of "playground" decades ago during my career and it makes me smile....and then hold my breath.  It's similar to our techniques.  To CHALLENGE....but try to insure no more than mashed knuckles or skinned knees.  Yes, we also camped with our kayaking kids....so a burn-blister might teach how to be careful vs careless and goofy at the wrong time.  Worse injury was a nasty jelly fish sting.  Thanking God he had a face mask over his eyes! 

Whatch think?

MtRider ...this is definitely how we played when we were growing up! 

Edited by Mt_Rider

Looks like those kids are having fun. (Adult supervision a good thing). 

Our play was in forests, fields, and the barn. Good memories. 

I can see where parents would freak out, but, I think kids need the stimulation of creativity.  Computers, electric games, iPhones,  etc. don’t help.  IMHO.

I think this is like the germ control we have done with kids. Geez let them get dirty and eat dirt. It builds their immunity system.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mommato3boys said:

I think this is like the germ control we have done with kids. Geez let them get dirty and eat dirt. It builds their immunity system.

That’s funny. Reminded me of my mom.  She said when I was a baby, she sterilized everything around me, but, I had terrible colic.  One day, she had me on a blanket outside, while she hung up clothes on the clothes line, when she turned around to check on me, I was in the dirt eating a handful. She said I didn’t have colic that night. :icon19:  She quit steriling my stuff, and I never got it again. 

Yup, germs + kids = healthy immune systems. :bouquet:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We climbed trees, played in sage grass that was taller than us, played baseball with a rock because we did not have a ball, stubbed toes because we were barefoot, got stung by wasps, went walking in the woods before dawn, ice skated with out skates on the pond until it cracked......

Live and learn is wonderful , gives strength and courage, determination, but not to everybody. 

• Like 1

It's called helicopter parenting now. Hovering around our kids. 

I'm on the fence. I agree about the germs. I think kids should get dirty to build up their immune system. On the other hand back in my day we didn't have all of the super germs and virus' they have now. And penicillin cured most of what ailed you. MRSA. Aids, Ebola, Bird flu, Paploma virus were all unheard of. 

We didn't have all of the evilness either. It was there but you knew who to avoid. We didn't have the violent movies and video games putting ideas in people's heads back then. Now days they are like how-to torture manuals. Violence in cartoons was the worst thing we saw and we knew it wasn't real. That and 'raslin'. 

No such thing as day care or day care molesters.Sigh.

Never heard of a school shooting. Worse thing happening was some boys smoking out behind the school. Seriously. 

We used to be gone all day long without our parents seeing us until supper. Our curfew was when the street lights came on. 

Even other parents can't step in now because of lawsuits. If we raise our kids today like our parents raised us we would be hauled in by the CPS for child neglect and abuse. 

It's a different world so, personally, I don't think we can raise our kids/grandkids in the 2000's like our parents did in the 1960's. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Mother taught us very early on never to take candy, etc from strangers.

Always be decent, never show our underwear, ,never get in a car with strangers,

. Crime was in our town Mother just warned us against it .

When we moved to the country it was ok . But we still kept with us the things she taught us for safety.

25 years later it was terrible 30 years later it was by far worse and that is all I am going to say.

• Like 1

Parenting today not only damages the children but also the parents...in my humble opinion.  I never got a spanking from either of my parents but my siblings did.  Guess I took note?  Anyway, none of us (and there were 6) ever got into any serious trouble and respected our parents.  Your aunts and uncles and neighbors could also give you a paddling if you got out of line.  We answered to everybody! :24:

• Like 3

Same here We2.  My aunts and uncles were expected to correct us kids and the neighbors looked out for us too.

The town I grew up in was Mayberry-ish. Today it's drug infested. I still read the newspaper on line and I'm stunned by all of the drug arrests there now. Serious drugs like meth and cocaine. It's so sad.

• Sad 2

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.