MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What’s For Dinner 2019

Hi all :hi:

What’s for dinner?

Today, I made bolillo bread/rolls, menudo, black eyed peas. DH wants French dips, using the prime rib/ribeye roast from Christmas, hence, the bolillo rolls. Actually found a simple recipe made the old fashioned way... DH says the taste authentic.  :bouquet:

2BA0D545-1F23-4D06-A725-48D6E8EA502A.jpeg

• Like 6

Our supper this evening was black-eyed pea/mixed bean soup ( jarred up several quarts so I'd have them...this may be my last one), fried potatoes with onions, a nice thick slice of smoked ham, bannock bread and pantry spiced applesauce for desert.  Black-eyed peas because Sherman rode through and destroyed all the crops and gardens but left the peas for "animals"; fried potatoes, that's all that kept the Irish alive long enough to come to America; onions because the children of Israel had to survive and thrive on onions and garlic; bannock bread because it's a survival bread, and applesauce because we needed to eat it! This is our tradition/story and I'll stick to it.  :feedme:

• Like 4

Today was fried garden potatoes, fried eggs, wild caught tuna, sweet potato, cole slaw, fruit, and tonight had fried yeast-raised bread. Glad we spent a few hours today shoveling the heavy snow from last night and burning off those calories.   :whistling:

• Like 3

Worked up some of the potatoes so it was pizza night...direct from Aldi's.  Oh, don't buy their pizza's that have the goat cheese and artichoke hearts...along with olives etc...it's AWEFUL!  I'll be hard pressed to pull the other one out to cook. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

No pics...shared a breaded sirloin beef tenderloin, homemade potato salad (I had a jar that didn't seal) and vegetable medley.  Desert; I took a package of blueberry muffin mix, added some pecans chips and poured into 2 ramikins...3 min. in micro...done.  Oh...just in came some haven't tried it...when I make my potato salad I use just a little bit of mayo and the rest cottage cheese.  Hubby loved it and he usually won't touch cottage cheese.  I'm getting really good at disquising (sp?) foods! LOL 

• Like 2

Tonight was...grab a jar of my vegetable stew, a jar of canned beef chunks, some black eyed peas I cooked (to see if they were any good) and poured it over mashed potatoes. May look like mush but my oh my was it good! A terrific SHTF meal!

101_0909.JPG

• Like 2

Tonight was reheated, on the barbecue, rib roast slices from Christmas, micro-baked potatoes-put on the grill to thicken the skins, I take DH’s skins, corn on the cob, leftover from MIL’s caldeo she made in Nov., and a small piece of DH’s Andouille sausage. 

A feast, but, I am preparing to go to MIL’s on Wednesday, so I’m trying to fill him up with home cooking. 

9F23679A-6DE0-4376-8672-74B100D1D586.jpeg

• Like 3

I'm on a diet.  I don't believe in diets, but I had gained ten pounds (starting from what had been my highest weight ever) in three months.  So here I am, on a diet.  Whole 30.  No dairy (except ghee), no grains (except quinoa, ick), no beans or peas, no sugar of any kind or artificial sweetener of any kind (but I can eat fruit), no ingredients I can't pronounce, no alcohol (even to cook with).  Supper was Instant Pot lemon chicken with lemons from my front yard, and it was good.  It's just hard to eat meat without bread. 

I'm never hungry, and I'm not craving things (yet), but I'm walking around with a slight bellyache and a slight feeling that I'm sick to my stomach.  All.  The. Time.  

One month down, at least one month to go.

I'm down a bit over 17 pounds since December 13. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Wow!  It's important but sooo hard to keep on with a weight loss plan.  I found the easiest for me was to live at my folks and run up and down their stairs 90 times a day...while being so busy I don't even notice.  Lost 13# in 3 wks that way.  But the end result was :0327: I've managed to keep MOST of that sorta freebie off. 

MtRider  ...Good luck!  :thumbs: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Supper tonight was chicken adobo and some random vegetables cooked with it. Lunch was a sweet potato and a few almonds. Breakfast was a boiled egg, a piece of jerky, a slice of dried apricot,  and a tangerine off the tree the old folks left me.  And coffee,  black.  And tea, unsweet.  And water water water water water.

Down 18 lbs.

• Like 4

Still some smoked turkey from Thanksgiving...was vacuum sealed and in freezer, added some Jasmine Rice covered with veggies & sesame honey sauce and we were in business!  Dessert...I fried some apples in a bit of butter, pecan bits, sugar and cinnamon...then added some whipped cream.  Still had some for tomorrow nights dessert.  (yes, I did get some splatters of the carmelization on my stove...LOL)

101_0926.JPG

101_0927.JPG

Edited by The WE2's
  • Like 4

Last night was a small roaster of scalloped potatoes & ham; tonight was pork steaks & broccoli.  M says all she wants with those is "homemade bread".  Errr…..OK.  Makes dinner  easy & makes it worthwhile to bake that bread fresh a couple times a week. 

Our latest successful "new" food was crumb coated potato wedges - I had extra home made shake & bake so while the oven was on anyway, rolled the potato wedges in oil, coated with "extra" crumbs (I always have extra crumbs left after doing the chicken) then into the oven to cook with the chicken.  Worked very well - I like crispy crunchy crumby foods.  And I did not have to waste those crumbs!  I also have discovered that my homemade bread makes crumbs almost the same texture as panko, as long as I toss it in the blender while it is stale, not dry.  So I now have even more reasons to bake lots of home made bread!  Besides, I love  browned crumbs, aka "poor mans parmesan".  Makes me a crumby cook, you could say.  :fryingpan:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last night was Mexican casserole with sweet potato, broccoli and corn meal muffins. I make the casserole with leftover chicken and we get several meals out of it.

Tonight will be salmon, mashed potatoes, and green beans.

• Like 1

Sunday was pork roast with sweet potatoes and green beans

Monday was carnitas with some of the leftover pork roast, chopped tomatoes, avocados, tortillas, & rice

Tuesday was breakfast of eggs, sausage & cinnamon rolls (because people were tired of pork)

Tonight was more of the leftover pork roast shredded with BBQ sauce served on hamburger buns, with some fruit that needed to be finished off.   (we had a veggie plate for lunch).

Those bolillo rolls look amazing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1