MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What’s For Dinner 2019

Did an experiment of sorts...for a life changing event meal...I put two packages of Ramen noodles in my hot pot, poured about 5 cups of hot water over them, added what was left of some frozen mixed veggies, added a package of my shredded chicken, poured alredo sauce on top and steamed it all for 8 minutes.  Not bad at all!  Guess if you were hungry it would be magnificent!  We have several in one of our buckets so I guess they'll be okay there for awhile.  Used some Tostitos Black Bean and Garlic chips instead of bread.  If you've never eaten these chips I forewarn you...they are addictive!  We especially love them with cream cheese/green chili jelly or other type of jelly. 

101_1002.JPG

101_1003.JPG

• Like 2

Ohhh, I haven't seen those chips around here yet. I'll be on the lookout though. The noodles Alfredo looks yummy. I was wondering the other day about using the raman noodles for other things like with spaghetti sauce or a tuna or chicken casserole.

They really aren't bad for you. It's just all the sodium in the packets. But in a SHTF situation we might need some added salt especially if we are doing garden type work in the hot summer sun.  :shrug:

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I haven't seen those chips around here yet. I'll be on the lookout though

We've only found them at WM...there's a "knock off" at Aldi's but they aren't any good.  How does the old saying go "you can't eat just one"?! :24:

I spent the last 2 weeks mostly using up produce and freezer items on my plan to clear then defrost and restock the freezer.  I didn't make anything ambitious and the girls took over cooking and finishing most of the meals once I got things started.  

Peanut Chicken & cabbage over rice with fruit salad  (frozen chicken, frozen cabbage)

Cajun Confetti Rice (rice with smoked sausage, okra, onion, bell pepper, celery, & tomatoes)  (frozen sausage & veg)

Tacos & refried beans (frozen ground beef)

Baked Cubanos, chips (frozen rolls, frozen cooked pork)

Beef Soup & Cranberry Muffins (frozen soup from last year)

Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese 

Teriyaki Chicken with rice and broccoli (frozen chicken, broccoli)

Italian Chicken with Macaroni  (chunks of chicken breast, sautéed with onions, bell peppers, sundried tomatoes, mushrooms, artichokes & celery in a butter & rosemary sauce)(frozen chicken & some of the veg)

Baked beans with weenies over cheese fitters with potato salad (frozen cheese, baking mix from freezer)

Enchilada casserole (frozen a few months back), garlicky black beans (frozen), Mexican rice, fresh pineapple (sale .89 at aldis!)

Leftover Buffet several times (I put all the leftovers on the counter and everyone makes themselves a plate of whatever to microwave)

• Like 1

BBQ riblets, cornbread stuffing & last of the garden greens.  Pretty as well as yummy.

• Like 1

Didn't post for a few days but we've still been eating! Fixed some Lemmon Pepper Smoked Paprika chicken with pasta and beans, also fixed some catfish, tater tots, hushpuppies and pork and beans, and used my electric pressure cooker to make some of our "Lasagna" using regular egg noodles etc.  Tonight I used it to make a Chili Rellano Casserole...our style!  I use the little cans of green chili's instead of messing with Pablano peppers.  Could have drained more of the juice off the tomatoes as well as more off the chilis.  They both contain lots of juice...but oh my was it good! 

101_1011 Chili Rellano Casserole in hot pot.jpg

101_1012 Chili Rellano Casserole ready to eat.jpg

101_1007 Lemon Pepper Paprika Chicken with chicken noodles &  beans.jpg

101_1008 Catfish-Tater Tots-Beans-Hush Puppies 3-18-2019.jpg

101_1011 Chili Rellano Casserole in hot pot.jpg

101_1012 Chili Rellano Casserole ready to eat.jpg

• Like 3

That looks really good. WE2.  I need to dig out my old chili rellano casserole recipe.  It uses pasta and a cream sauce. I got it from a family member's Mexican boyfriend and he said it was a staple in Monterrey households.  I might be able to adapt it to spiralized vegetables or rice.

We had a cold run through the house and I'm still avoiding downstairs,  so I made only a few meals and we ate a lot of leftovers.  

Teriyaki Chicken with bacon wrapped asparagus (I baked the chicken breasts and the asparagus together in the same sauce, it turned out very well.)and stuffing  (I forgot to put the pecans in it and DD15 was devastated and complained a lot)

A giant batch of chili with corn muffins (husband's favorite)

Corned Beef with cabbage, potatoes, & carrots in a mustard glaze. (My grandmother was from Ireland, it was mandatory for the 17th.)

I need to use up the last of the leftovers tonight, so I'm either going to make hash and colcannon or else dice it all up with tomato sauce for a deconstructed cabbage roll cassarole.  

• Like 2

Went to Dad and Stepmum's for the "yard party" (raking and burning leaves) with rakes and lawn chairs in hand.  She cooked hot dogs with chips and brownies.  Hubby also measured her deck for new screening around the outside and under ... she hates spiders and snakes (don't we all!) ... and living around a lake they're plentiful.  Then figured out where the noxious smell in her laundry room was...it was sewer gas!  Hubby went under house and sure enough, when the plumbers ran new plumbing (after a freeze) they failed to put a trap in the line that runs from her washer to the sewer.  So, he'll get that taken care of also.  Probably going to do some bartering.  They have a nice sized air compressor that hubby would put to good use (it's older but works great) and a nice sized generator that we can surely put to use.  She says she can't pull it to get it started and is wanting to sell it ... or barter it.  Sounds good to us! So...it was pizza tonight!

Friday night was Veal cutlett, steamed potato and salad.  Tonight was beef stew in the pressure pot.  Got some carrots and celery that needed eating!  No pic of the stew...everybody knows how to fix beef stew!

101_1013 Veal Cutlett-baked pot-salad.jpg

Country Gravy Mix: in a medium size bowl:  1 cup of sifted white flour, 1 Tblsp. of garlic powder, 1 Tblsp. of onion powder, 1 tsp. of smoked paprika, a pinch of pink salt, a pinch of ground pepper.  Wisk very well until it's very well blended and put it in a jar.  To use:  1 Tbsp. to a cup of cold water.  Wisk until blended and bring to a boil...until it's as thick as you want it.  I also make Beef and Chicken, just using the basics of flour, garlic powder, onion powder, and ground pepper.  I don't add salt to the beef or chicken because I use the beef bouillon powder (1 TBSP) and the chicken bouillon powder (1 TBSP)...and they are salty enough.  These stay very well in the pantry for about 6 months...IF they last that long! LOL

PS...the other two mixes both contain parsley flakes, and poultry seasoning for both the chicken and the beef (1 TBSP).

Edited by The WE2's
Spell check!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are still eating a lot of various leftovers so I haven't been cooking much.  

Last week:

Thai Peanut chicken with broccoli, coconut rice

Cajun Sausage, carrots, potatoes, & green beans in the crockpot

Chicken Tikka Masala, matar paneer (peas & farmer's cheese in a curry type sauce)

Sausages with Cabbage & Caraway, mashed sweet potato, fried apples & raisins.  

I did manage to make a 3 layer Italian Crème cake and it turned out well.  DD10 had fun learning to separate and beat eggs when we made it.  I usually like more pecans and coconut in the frosting, but DH doesn't, so I left them in the cake and did a more plain cream cheese butter frosting.  After I baked it, I realized that someone did something with my cake saver so I had a pain frosting it on a plate and trying to cover it with foil.  I think next time, I'm just going to put my big stock pot down over the top of it  if the issue comes up again.  

20190324_192502.thumb.jpg.525bd6dcefccbb383b6447e004698f68.jpg

• Like 4

Whiting, salad and fries. Dessert was fruit.  Made the fries on my Pizzazz machine.  Sooo tasty and virtually no oil.  Just buttered them, sprinkled them with Garlic/Herb powder and let the turntable do the rest.  

101_1026 Whiting-Salad-Fries.jpg

101_1024 Homemade Fries on Pizza Pizzas Plus.jpg

• Like 2