MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kappydell

wallmart horror stories?

I'm sure I'm not the only one having "issues" with Wal-Mart, just a recent person.

Got any stories to share?

I actually let them have it on one of their surveys ….so much for me ever winning the drawings for free shopping card from Walmart, LOL.

My issues - no clerks to be found; no checkouts without long lines, and not even self checkouts without long lines; products not available; prices missing from shelves and scanners that do not work; no cripple carts available due to no vetting over who is using them (little kids?  reeeeely???) and folks leaving them outside in foul weather (damaging them, and certainly expending their battery charges); drug deals in the aisles; and when you CAN find an employee they are soooo politely incompetent;  ATM always out of order.  That's the short list. 

Tonight I added to it....item in store as promised on internet for $5 only they wanted $55 claiming the only one they had came with extras I did not want.  "Its all we got".  I actually said to the clerk "Wal mart is starting to suck" for trying to bait and switch their products, and she said "Yes, it does".  So no employee loyalty, either.  

any bets on how many more stores will be closing?  I'm sort of beginning to miss K-Mart, but they killed them.  

Edited by kappydell

I miss K-Mart. 

WM... I have products we regularly use. But they don’t keep them stocked. DH likes Uncle Bens long grain & wild rice, in the box. They quit stocking it and went to the plastic bags. :yuk:  one day the manager was in the isle, doing her shopping and she asked what I was looking for.  I told her what & why, and she agreed with me. They’ve actually kept the box stocked since then. 

We get the 55lb. bags of dog food, 1-2 times a month.  I look for someone to help me put it in the cart, amazingly, no one is around. One associate told me no, she wasn’t going to help (cause she was 6 weeks pregnant) ok, I understand, but she wouldn’t even get someone else to help me. 

Not keeping the shelves stocked, carts that feel like the wheels are stuck, or veer right/left, long lines at the check out with associates standing by just watching, old meat, opened jars (I’ve brought back).

And, you have to keep an eye on the price they charge. Several times, I’ve held up the line because of overcharging on something. The sign said, avocados were 2 for .88 cents, they charged me.88 each. Yeah, that didn’t go well either. 

The sad thing is we have very little choices for shopping. WM is 10 miles away. Safeway is 11 miles and charges, at least,  .50 cents more per item. The other Safeway is 15 miles away. The local mom/pop grocery stores charge even more per item, and you definitely have to watch expiration dates and meat freshness. 

Other options are over 35 miles away. Adding gas prices, sometimes it is cheaper to use the local market. :shakinghead:

I think I'm just lucky here. Our Wal-Mart just did an expansion here so everything is new and updated. I think the last issue I had was the cashier commenting on some of the items I bought. The final straw was in the summer and she told me I could buy a whole watermelon cheaper than the small container I bought. Well not really when I only had a taste for some watermelon plus I didn't have to mess with the rind since that was trash day and I'd have to keep it around another week. We have three WM's within about a 5 mile radius so I think that keeps them on their toes. Also lots of Targets in their area too. 

I hate the wonky carts too. What I really wish they would get is more of those little ones. I love those things. My grocery store here just expanded and they got a bunch of those little carts. So much easier to push and they set up higher so they are easier to load and unload. 

I like K-Mart but their lines are ALWAYS long. They don't have the variety that WM has but if I need something simple they are less than one and a half miles from my house so I do shop there often.

I'm spoiled with shopping here. I'm really going to miss it when I move. 

I see I'm not the only one who disliked Wally-world.  At least we have a different wal mart if we drive the other direction.  M likes the super center, I do NOT, that is the one with all the problems.  At the smaller one it is not quite so bad.  I am looking for other places to shop. 

Kroger is nicer  but their prices are high and their clerks could not understand what sprouting alfalfa seeds was all about even after I explained it (LOL).  I see there is a different chain store in the other town, maybe I'll get my clipboard and do a price survey there.  I do like their meats though, if I wait for sales I can afford to buy there.

The local Aldis is out - it had same prices as Walmart, far fewer selections, and the lack of service was irritating, especially as they kept touting it as a virtue.  Paying to use a cart and having to provide your own bags (or pay for theirs) was aggravating to me.  No cripple carts and their push carts were the wrong height for me to use as a retail walker (you know, drape myself over it reasonably comfortably for support).  

The "Food Depot" was what I call a typical "poor neighborhood store", ie, fewer items, mostly off brands, very few basic foods, lots of pre-packaged foods, and the prices were the same as anywhere else was charging for name brand items.  It did, however, carry some fascinating ethnic Ethiopian foods, but being imported those were REALLY pricey.  Produce was poor and expensive. No-go there.  The clerks were really nice, though.

The local dollar tree stores selections for food were mostly hot dogs, highly-processed foods & impulse purchases.  It was such a poor selection I was amazed.

I'd love to go see the "Giant Johnson" (grocery store) but it is far away and I cant stop giggling every time I drive past.  A "Giant Johnson" when I grew up was a slang term for a certain portion of male equipage, so the giggles kinds of take over every time I see that huge sign on the side.  I don't think I could keep a straight face long enough to do a good food survey.

Maybe Ingle's will have decent prices.  The search continues.....

I don't mind going to a couple places to get what I need.  I wish the IGA hadn't closed, I always loved those stores.  But the owner retired a d Wal-Mart dominates things in these small towns.  I kinda wish we had a Save-a-Lot.  I shopped there in Alabama and they were OK.  Prices were good, and their house brand coffeecake mix was addictive.  They also carried decently priced canning supplies!

The quest continues.....(cue the "raiders of the lost ark" music...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We have a Save a lot about 25 miles away and a salvage grocery store 20 miles away and another 25 miles away near the Save a lot.  We do have an IGA which has great sales, but otherwise the prices are very high!  And the Walmart which is not inexpensive because there are no Target's or Kmart's anywhere near.  Our dollar tree is pretty good, having the frozen fruit I want and veggie burgers and sometimes cauliflower rice!

• Like 1

And of course you know not to buy hamburger, leafy greens, or broccoli until the shutdown ends, right?

4 hours ago, Ambergris said:

And of course you know not to buy hamburger, leafy greens, or broccoli until the shutdown ends, right?

?????

???? why hamburger?  as for the others I'm picking my own, cant beat the gardens' prices!

• Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 1:49 PM, Ambergris said:

Probably hamburger because it's the most likely to get contamination.  Cuz it's ground - more surface area to 'catch cooties' ....and who knows WHAT someone might grind into there.  :o

MtRider .....oh Ambergris???  Brevity was too brief this time and we're all curious-er and courious-er.  ;)

• Like 1

We're just eating our own sprouts since the salad thing, and prefer them anyway...and mostly shopping Mennonite stores should we need something.  But we'll be sure to watch what we buy even at the Mennonite stores!  We have enough in the extended pantry that we can do without if we need to.  Hubby "went shopping today" at the homestead while he was shoveling snow. I sprout lots of different types of seeds, right now we're working on lentil's.  Abby-girl loves sprouts too! LOL

My green-grocer....at long as they last that is...pics today, next week heavy frost.  We will see what we can cover & save.

IMG_3624.thumb.JPG.8f2ee068cd8d49ec90edcd7f075b02dd.JPG

• Like 5

The food inspectors are furloughed.  Those are the items most likely to turn up bad, considering what has most recently turned up bad combined with what most often turns up bad.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.