MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A Time & Time To Ponder

It’s not been the best year, emotionally. February brought 4 phone calls, on one day, of friends & relatives passing...2 ferrets passing and this month, we lost our last ferret. I’ll quit whining, I am just venting. 

We rescued ferrets, since the early ‘80’s. Almost, 20 of them, total.  Vets, stores, people, and animal control, would call, asking if we could take another. Every one, was given a forever home with us. The joy of watching their personality blossom, play like there was no tomorrow, dance & “ooooppp” with each other, then, snuggle up in a fur ball with each other, was worth the stress of vet bills, surgeries, medicines & daily cleanup. 

Our house was ferret proofed, now, I need to un- ferret proof it. Remove cardboard barriers under furniture, closet barricades, etc... I’ll be able to put things on the floor and put my chair under my desk again.  And, wear my shoes in the house?!?  Never wanted to chance accidentally crushing their tiny feet. 

I kinda wish I’d kept the chalk painting that had been investigated by a ferret.  Nose prints, whiskers whisks, and foot prints all over it. :0327:I had to start that pastel over. 

They were always showing me the error of my ways, I’d think it was ferret proofed, and low & behold, one would find a way around. Like, climbing up the clothes hanging in the closet, to get to the top shelf, and making a nest, hidden food, stolen socks, and shinny things. If there’s a will, a ferret will find a way. 

We will (do) miss their fuzzy faces, but, it’s time to pass the torch. Yesterday, we were blessed to find someone with ferrets & involved in ferret rescue, to give all our supplies and cages to. 

Lol, I need to get accustomed to not having to step over the doorway plexiglass barricade in their room (my office).

.....pondering...

:bouquet:

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Ferrets bring a lot of chaos, that's what I heard from a friend of mine who has them, but they're more fun and he agrees. You are doing a good deed!

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Daniel, they are still missed. I am continuing to un-ferret proof our house. IDK if some things will ever the same. Lol

I pulled out a king sized French provincial I had crocheted several years ago, and forgot a ferret had munched a section out of it.  :sigh:  

And, as I clean house, each week, I continue to find ferret fluff.  Tough on the heart, but our years, have been passed onto others.  As it should be.  

So sorry for your loss Annarchy.  Doing rescue is so rewarding and can be lots of fun at the same time.  I know my daughter has 7 ferrets now and they are all about the same age. She said the life span of ferrets are about 7 to 8 years, so she will be in a sad situation as well in a few years as they will start to leave this world one behind the other.   And loosing love ones both family members and friends is tough as well. But you know they are singing in heaven and having the time of their life.  That always brings comfort to the heart.  :hug3:

• Like 2

Oh my, Littlesister, 20 some ferrets dancing around our feet.  :008Laughing:

Yes, ferrets in the US only live 7-10 years, too inbred.  However, the ones in England & Australia, have a 20 year lifespan.  7 ferrets, nice!  I am in awe someone else is helping the little fuzzy faces.  They filled me with joy, and a plethora of other emotions. My hardest was, doing surgery...it never worked to give them a extended quality life.  Once adrenal, insulinoma, & other cancers set in, the best that can be done is to love them to the end.   I still have remorse for one that had surgery... the vet said, it would extend his life.... no it didn’t and he was in pain.  They didn’t stop all the bleeding on something, crushed my heart. 

one thing with ferrets, they bond with one, whether human or another ferret.  If one bonded ferret passes, the bonded one will pine away.  Extremely sad, but true.  

All but 3 of ours were rescued, it took time for them to accumulate to our household, but once they did, they were a riot.  

Harmony, took Inspiration, screaming, by the scruff, and treated her like her own baby.  It was hilarious.  From that point on Inspire Kitty, bonded with DH, because he saved her from Mama Harmony. Lol. 

So many stories, so many years.... lol

• Like 3

Anne my married granddaughter does dog rescue.  She takes them in and they find homes for them. She has one now that they think they have a home for.  She has two dogs and a cat of her own.  She found out she is allergic to feretts so had to give her 2 she had to her mother. That is how my daughter ended up with 7.  She did have 8 as one was my other granddaughter's that still lives at home. They had to put him down when he was 3 years old due to renal issues. He stayed in pain and it was nothing they could do for him. :sigh:

The granddaughter that is married trains dogs.  She also trains police dogs when needed. 

• Like 3

Ouch, we had two with renal issues. They cathed them and dosed them with antibiotics, they lived 5 more years.   Franklin & Jung were sweeties, then, both went bald with adrenaline cancer.  Surgery requires microscopic surgery, because the are so small creatures.  Not worth the pain or suffering they have to endure.