MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I thought this was the neatest idea for teaching contractions.

She uses old Lego Duplo blocks that her kids are finished playing with.  

The good stuff starts at 1:50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CHfUcuflkw

She talked about running out of blocks but you could also use the other side of them for more words. Then take the two small ones off and try to figure out which side they belong to. 

• Like 1

What a cool idea.  Im glad SOMEBODY is teaching that stuff, clearly the public schools do not, considering what I read in the newspapers and magazines.  I am weary of so called professional writers not being able to spell, use contractions or homonyms properly, and making up new words to sound intelligent.  Use a thesaurus or a spell checker (or a dictionary if your spell checker is stupid) for pity's sake.  At least know enough to do that much when needed!  OK, I'm off the soap box.  I did love the video.

When I hear news commentators saying "axe" instead of "ask" I tend to jump out of my chair and yell at the TV...:duck1:.....trying to tell myself that it is not politically correct to judge others by their speech......<_<.....it does not work.....:smiley_shitfan:......I'm doomed to liguistic frustration!  :banghead:

About 10 yr ago I read of a new exec who was assigned a coach to help them adjust to the demands of high finance exec life...had to teach the person how to speak properly, dress properly, and basic standards of upper class behavior (Emily post and such).  I wonder if they even bother, or if having standards is somehow now considered extinct?  Somehow I think one is still judged, its just nobody dares say anything out loud...

Edited by kappydell

Same here Kappy. What used to set me off was the word nuclear. A president saying, new-q-ler. :banghead:  It's very 'clear' it's nu-klee-er.

I understand about people's accents and southern drawls :blush: but sheeesh. 

I'm pretty disappointed in the word 'snuck' too.

Want to really be disappointed? Look at the new words that have been added into the dictionaries in the last couple of years. Nearly all slang. 

Then again, Shakespeare is likely rolling over in his grave.  I sure can't even read HIS 'English'....  :busted:    Sheeesh, can't spell his name either without spelchek.... 

Slang becomes standard.  [but some of it is kinda horrifying]

MtRider   :reading:  

On 5/29/2019 at 9:11 AM, kappydell said:

About 10 yr ago I read of a new exec who was assigned a coach to help them adjust to the demands of high finance exec life...had to teach the person how to speak properly, dress properly, and basic standards of upper class behavior (Emily post and such).  I wonder if they even bother, or if having standards is somehow now considered extinct?  Somehow I think one is still judged, its just nobody dares say anything out loud...

Oh, I'm pretty certain there are still standards they are expected to maintain, but they're different depending on what area (geographically and industry-wise) one is in.

I pointed out to the kids that when I was looking for an assistant to help out with publications, I flat out rejected about 30-35 of 40 resumes because they had errors in them.  If you're not going to take the time to proof (or have someone else proof) your own resume, why would I trust you with my publications?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TheCG said:

If you're not going to take the time to proof (or have someone else proof) your own resume, why would I trust you with my publications?

:balloons:   :band:   :balloons:    

Y'know, this would SEEM like a very obvious RED FLAG .....visible to all.  :sigh: 

....the boss has to be bright in order to expect 'bright' employees.  When executives are now 26 yrs old, they haven't had time to get all that 'bright'.

SOME exceptions apply!   {and those were probably homeschooled or self-schooled}

MtRider  :buttercup: 

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.