MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mommato3boys

Revising BOBs

I always said I would hunker down and stay in place. Well that was until we moved to the panhandle of Texas. I will weather tornados and hurricanes, BUT I will not weather a fire. I have a fear of fire and well I will flee in a moments notice personal items forgotten. I have seen just how fast those darn things can over take you. 

With that said I have been thinking about bug out bags. I ran across this link on Pinterest and thought wow, I can do that https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-MREsa-tutorial/  If I do it just right I can pack these in metal ammo cans and store in the camper. We have a small camper, it a bunkhouse we can pull behind the motorcycle or the car. It will go with us if we bug out. It has a lot of storage so I will be stocking it and then preparing for the worst. Water is my problem. I am not sure how I will haul water. Thoughts to ponder. 

So while I am on medical leave I am going to redo our BOBs and be prepared for fire. It will be small BOBs. I have to plan for a dog and cat also. Must invest in a vacuum sealer. I am thinking 3 days worth of food and water. We can be to family in Alabama in that time. 

• Like 3

A life straw, water straw, &/or Berkeley, are a start for water. In case of emergency bug outs, it could help you get potable water from other sources.  

We have juice bottles with handles, filled JIC. Fire danger is the one thing to make us go too.  

On 4/6/2019 at 9:28 PM, mommato3boys said:

store in the camper. We have a small camper

We own a travel trailer that our truck pulls and my van is a camper van that can pull a small trailer.  Both units have kitchens & bathroom facilities.  IF we should ever have to leave the homestead, we'll fill them up really fast. We would have to fill both fresh water tanks though and put our big Berkey in the TT and the smaller one in my van.  Would also take our Berkey sport bottles and Sawyer straws...just in case.  I'd be grabbing my home canned foods for sure as well as some of our "long term buckets".  We know where we'd go if we had to...and keep that very secret.

• Like 2

I've seen fire and we always plan to GO!  We have a small hip packs with all essential personal paperwork [I.D. cash, etc] grabbed quickly from known location.  Those hip packs normally serve as our "wallets" anyway but extra stuff shoved in quickly. 

We both have a water filter bottle to attach to that pack.  Ebars.....we lived on those during our 3 wk EVAC.   Any meds or other Must Have items as well.  Refills on meds and other things will be packed in elsewhere.  But enough in that hip pack that if we get separated from our vehicles during the EVAC, we've got immediate-need stuff no matter what else happens. 

Course I'd have stuff in my pockets too...SAK, carry stuff, etc.  I have a large 2-wheeled cart with a basket frame that lives in my vehicle.  I'd also have my wheelchair if we had time to toss it in.  IF we had to abandon the vehicles [big accident blocking road and fire coming up too quick to wait] we could haul some stuff quicker that way too.  Dog, of course and mebbe a goat on leash?  [Horses would be set free if we couldn't trailer or lead them out.] 

After all our EVAC and PreEvac experiences with wildfire, we take it very seriously with LAYERS of prepared stuff.  Even if it's Rip And Run with just our pockets and hip packs, we'll survive to begin again.

On 4/6/2019 at 8:28 PM, mommato3boys said:

I am thinking 3 days worth of food and water. We can be to family in Alabama in that time. 

I know wildfire is not as massive in EVAC scale as a hurricane, but does that 3 days include time to be stuck in lines of EVAC traffic?  Also, of course, the further you get from the disaster scene, the more normal life [stores, gas stations, fast foods,]   ...will be available. 

Good project for your recovery time but don't do an oooops....lifting or bending when you shouldn't...  :hug3: 

MtRider  ....  it IS getting to be fire season again, isn't it?  :sigh:  Early for us...still have snow on North slopes.

• Like 3

Yes 3 days is more than enough time if we get stuck in evac traffic. It is only 16 hours to my sister I am allowing 72 hours. I figure once we get past Oklahoma City we will be ok. I am just worried if they close I-40 it will mean heading south towards I-20, which could mean detours if the fires are that far south. Or north to CO MrRider we may head to you LOL

We have thought about heading north and doubling back behind the fires. Give me hurricanes any day. I can run from them I have plenty of notice.

• Like 1

Been thru one hurricane... H.Iniki.  It was quite impressive but mostly with the WAVE action - throwing small sail boats up onto the highway.  [I knew the man who lived on that ruined boat]  So I've not experienced a direct hit. 

I can't even tell you how many wildfire alerts we've had in a single summer/fall season.  Some alerts come from the house above us [yes, the neighbor's I mention in Ambergris' New Game].  They can see further and call down to us to say....did you know about...?  

2 hours ago, mommato3boys said:

Or north to CO MrRider we may head to you LOL

LOL ....check The main Doppler Radar's page for weather alerts.  It will tell you what and where in any region.  Like....if we're under Fire Alert tooooo!  :faint3: 

MtRider  ...as we say here, ANYthing's better than wildfire!  [well, nukes or Yellowstone wouldn't be good...]

Edited by Mt_Rider

22 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

weather alerts

We're "belts and suspenders" people...we have a NOAA weather radio here, one at the homestead, one in our travel trailer and I think we probably even have one in my camper van.  We're able to scan for the area we happen to be in.

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.