MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
snapshotmiki

Gardner's Disease

On my. How awful. I do believe it though. Lots of nasty things live in the soil. I know anthrax is pretty healthy on farms.

And prairie dog poo carries the plague. I read where they can be a problem out west if they get into your garden area or for kids playing in the dirt. 

That poor guy looks like he has MRSA. Kinda makes aquaponic gardening look better and better, huh. All I know for gardeners to do is wash wash wash your hands and keep your tetanus shot up to date. I'm not a big proponent of vaccinations but personally one tetanus shot every ten years is one I won't skip. JMHO. 

• Like 2

There are always countless types fungi and bacteria in the soil. Breakdown of matter begins with fungi and eventually bacteria feed on the fungi. If you ever see a compost pile steam in cold weather, it's the fungi and bacteria multiplying at incredible rates to break down the matter into finer organic matter. I wouldn't worry too much about it. My guess is that guy had auto-immune problems along with not taking care of the wounds properly. Micro-organisms are what God uses to break down the matter on the earth's floor so that we can use the subsequent rich soil to grow food to stay healthy.  :happy0203:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like MERSA to me...which can be deadly.  Lots of people catch it from (of all places) hospitals!  We know of two different fella's that fought it and it was horrible.  The one got it on one of his legs, from what he thought was a rash beginning.  The other picked it up after a surgery and nearly lost both of his legs before they were able to get it under control.  Neither caught it from soil because neither were gardeners.  Here's a link that pretty well tells what MERSA is.

https://www.healthline.com/health/mrsa#risk-factors

• Like 1

Agreed Homesteader. It did say he was in China so sanitation and his nutrition could have already been compromised. Not judging...just saying.

MERSA is horrible. Similar to the flesh eating disease. Or are they the same? My cousin's husband got it in the hospital after surgery. He nearly lost his arm at the shoulder. I mean like a week away. When he was finally let out of the hospital, he had to come home with an IV that a visiting nurse had to tend to every day for another month. Scary times. His surgery site wasn't anywhere near the MRSA-ed arm.

I wouldn't be afraid to garden. Just use proper hygiene. And wash your veggies (even the ones you grow) well before you eat them even if they are organic. Not to mention bug and bird maybe mice droppings. I'm thinking of all the times I've taken a salt shaker to the garden and ate a tomato right off the vine. 

• Like 1

I keep a nail brush at the bathroom sink as well as at the kitchen sink.  When I've been handling anything with soil, I not only wash my hands but I take the nail brush and rub soap on it and give my fingernails (under neath too) and cuticles a thorough scrubbing.  

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.