MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Dee

Crazy House

For those of you who read and enjoyed the Hunger Game series and/or the Divergent series, have you read Crazy House by James Patterson?  Like the first ones listed they are YA (Young Adult).  Right now I'm enjoying the 2nd in the series of Crazy House called The Fall of Crazy House.

Why I like this type of book is unknown, but I do.   Does anyone else?  How about another series of this genre?  I read the Twilight series but not really into vampires and werewolves.  I loved the first 3 or 4 books of the Harry Potter books but then the kids grew up and they got too dark for me.

Any suggestions????

• Like 2

Well, evidently no one is reading or interested in Crazy House.  :24:  What is everyone reading/listening to?  I was told The Greenlanders by Jane Smiley was so very good.  I actually ordered it from Audible and trying to force myself to finish.  I don't like it at all.  

About the only thing I have time to read these days is non-fiction. DIY, home repair, gardening, landscaping, organization, canning, health issues etc.  You know the real hot steamy juicy stuff. :008Laughing:

Most of the time I've fallen down the rabbit hole known as Pinterest and Youtube and can't get up. I can spend hours there before I know it. :pc_coffee:

• Like 1

I used to go through a couple of paperbacks a day.  I really miss reading.  My son is trying to fix my Kindle to work some way that will let me do that again.

• Like 1

I am an avid reader but I've read so many books over the years I'm finding myself reading things I read years ago and getting half way through a book before I realize it. LOL. For fun I love Janet Evonovich's Stephanie Plum books.  

My favorite material though is what I'm writing myself.  I love it when the story unfolds from my fingers :coffeescreen:....

• Like 2

So some of you are reading.  That's great!  Hope to hear from others on what they're reading and what they think of them.

Like you Mother, I like to do some writing too.  I go in spurts.  It's usually when my fingers start typing and off I go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We're both avid readers...he has his genre and I have mine! I read every night when I get into bed, and he reads every time he sits down in his chair...even while eating! 

• Like 2

I was telling my mom this week that she taught me the love of reading as a child. Whenever I have medical appts, I take my backpack with reading material and snacks. I can't stand the trash at the offices. I also carry a headset so I don't have to listen to the daytime soaps, either.   :hapydancsmil:

Edited by Homesteader
  • Like 2

I read while on the phone on hold!  Keeps me from needing to choke the person on the other end.  LOL  I sometimes read while eating and also first thing in the morning and last thing at night.  Sometimes, I take a little time during the day, but not always.  I read crime mysteries mostly with a little science fiction, self help.  I love my daily devotion, too!  My Grandma and my mom are the ones who instilled reading in my life, also!

• Like 1

Wow Homey and Snapshotmiki….great to hear from you two and good to see you join in with Jeepers, WE2's, Ambergris, Mother and me in this forum.  If you remember, I LOVED being the moderator here along with Becca.  We discussed so very, very many books.

If DH isn't home I read while I'm eating and also when I got to bed.  I remember when I first started the Harry Potter series, I'd tell DH, "Me and Harry are off to bed".  The first time I said it really caught DH's attention but before long he got used to me and Harry.  :hapydancsmil:

Today at the library I got the new Joanne Fluke book...…Chocolate Cream Pie Murder and The Dead Will Tell by Linda Castillo.   Hope they're both really good!!!

Like you Homey, I always have a book on hand for when I have appointments or to wait on someone or something.  My phone has books to read as well listen to, soooooo, I'm always prepared.

Keep on reading and let me know what's on your phone, table, or wherever it's sitting, that you're reading now.

:grouphug:

• Like 1

I’ve never heard of the Crazy House series before. Will have to check it out. I love reading but admit I don’t read as much as I used to. I had cataract surgery several years ago....they fixed my eyes so I only need to use the cheap readers for up close reading...but it seems like my eyes get tired just a little faster than usual. I put stories on my tablet so I can make the font bigger and not have to wear the glasses.

So....if y’all are writing stories do you have any plans to post them? Hint, hint...

Do you listen to audio books Dogmom4?  I find I listen to them as much as I read anymore.  We have acres of grass we mow in the summer and an audio book using my earbuds helps me keep my sanity.  :)  I listen when I drive any distance, when I walk and when I'm working in the kitchen.  I don't know what I'd do w/o them to keep my mind occupied.  Mine are on my phone but our library has a great variety of audio books on CD.

• Like 2

I have a few stories in the fireside forum already, DM4.  It was back when I was Moding that forum and one of the story was an attempt to get others to write their story and post them.  Lots of good member written stories there, if they are still there.  I haven't checked out that forum yet.  How about the zany ind really fun story in the Wagon's Ho section of RURR forum?  If you want to read what the collective members can do, read there. :coffeescreen:

• Like 1

I have a couple different books I'm reading through, in a couple different places.  

In the  living room is The Keeper of the Bees by Gene Stratton Porter  and the current family read alouds (I read to DH and DD) Mr. Popper's Penguins  by Richard and Florence Atwater (no one here  is overly fond of it  because they both think Mr. Popper isn't making his family a priority--DD was the first to point it out, but we are learning something about penguins) and Among the Pond People by Clara Dillingham Peirson (We like that one!  We also have Among the Forest People, Among the Meadow People, Among the Farmyard People to read yet.  They're reprints of nature books from the early 1900s for kids and the "people" are the animals.)     DD and I are reading Mozart, the Wonder Boy by Opal Wheeler.  DD likes listening to classical music and asked for books about Chopin and Mozart.  I bought ones by Opal Wheeler.  They're originally printed in the 1930s-40s.  

For my upstairs stack, I recently finished Douglas Bond's "Crown and Covenant" series ( excellent historical fiction),  about a family of Scottish Covenanters in the 1600s and the persecution they went through.   They say for ages 10-14 on the back, but I think any age beyond is good, too.  I learned alot and it was very good writing.    I knew nothing of the Scottish Covenanters before this.   Now I'm working through the "Faith and Freedom" series, following the same family as in "Crown & Covwnant" series  (goes down through the generations in colonial America).   I'm also reading  Forgotten Founding Father: The Heroic Legacy of George Whitefield.    It was interesting because George Whitefield is in part of Guns of Thunder (1st in the "Faith and Freedom" series).   And Jesus, the One and Only by Beth Moore.  

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary
  • Like 2

Hey Out of the ordinary.....I've been busy and working so I haven't been her for a while.  You are really well read and, like me, have more than one going at a time.

I looked up the Douglas Bond, Crown and Covenant series and bought the 1st one.  They look good and I'm anxious to give it a try when I finish what's on my Kindle at the moment.

I'm always anxious to find new authors and if I like them it makes me happy to have it be a completed series.  Hate having to wait for the next to come out!  :whistling:

One of my favorite series  is Red River of the North by Laurine Snelling.  The first in the series is called An Untamed land.  It's about a Norwegian family that immigrates to North Dakota.  The series goes on for generations and I finally got tired of it but the first 4 or 5 (more?  I'm not sure) I just loved.

Right now the book I'm reading is Educated by Tara Westover.  It's about a survivalist type family and just maybe it's where the word dysfunctional family originated. :0327:  It's a memoir and each chapter tells a different incident in their daily life.  Do I like it?  I'm not sure but I do keep reading if that means anything.

On my phone I'm listening to The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani.  I'm just getting started but I've liked her other books so I have high hopes for this one.

On my phone I'm reading Twist of Faith by Ellen J. Green.  It's ok but not the best I've ever read.

I love to hear what other's are reading AND I love even more getting suggestions.  Next?:hapydancsmil:

• Like 2

I loved the Red River of the North series.  I've read several of them but found the earlier and news more to my interests.  Right now I'm reading no novels in leu of doing more research on aging in place.  Not as entertaining but very enlightening.  I'm following this thread and making notes though.  Some good suggestions  here.  

Hugs

I hope you like the book, Dee.   There's a glossary in the back of the book to define some of the Scottish words.  

One of my favorite series is the "Little Britches" series by Ralph Moody.   I bought the first one,   Little Britches: Father and I Were Ranchers, because they seem to pop on most lists for recommended reading for homeschoolers.  I had a hard time putting it down!   It follows a family's move to a ranch in Colorado in 1906.    It was really good.  DD is 5 and is sensitive, so I don't think she's quite ready for them.   But the character lessons and having to make do and do without and think outside the box and work hard  :)...I'm looking forward to these being our family read aloud books in a year or 2.    There's 8 books in the series and I was impatient to buy the rest of the series.   They're all printed,  though...first one in the series was printed in 1950. 

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary

I loved Little Britches and Ralph Moody books in particular.  I didn't realize it was suggested for homeschoolers but I can see why.  Our homeschooled son and grandson both read it. I really like the older books.  One that comes to mind is Freckles by Gene Stratin Porter.  She has several books that deal with nature.  Also The Shepherd Of The Hills by Harold Bell Wright.  He has a lot of books, most of which tell about a gentler male attitude to women.  John Fox is another author from that era.  

Thanks for for the memories.

Hugs

• Like 1

We have Freckles and A Girl of the Limberlost, but I haven't read them yet.  I really liked Laddie, A True Blue Story and The Keeper of the Bees, by Gene Stratton Porter, so I think those ones will be good, too.  

Has anyone read any of Eric Sloane's books?  They're neat.

I have all of those by Gene Straton Porter.  Reading her books is like seeing into the past.  I have a couple of Eric Sloan's books, American Yesterday and one on Early American Tools.  As you can see by my profile one of my interests is Early American life and skills and I've studied that extensively in the past.  Books like these help to get a feel for what life then might have been like.  

Hugs

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.