MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Kombucha

We just bought two huge bottles (quart?) Saturday at the Mennonite store for $1.99 !!!  Both are original and have the "Mother" in them.  I also have a starter kit that's been in my frig for longer than I want to admit!  I just haven't had time to start my own yet.  We each have a small "shot" with our breakfast.  I add a bit of fruit juice to make it a bit more flavorful though.  The carbonation amount isn't that important to either of us so I don't plan to do the "second" ferment (adding fruit and more sugar).

• 3 weeks later...

The mother in kombucha is called a SCOBY, or scoby, which can be used to make more.  To me, it's like a combination of pickle juice and tobacco spit.

• Haha 2

Dang Ambergris, what does tobacco juice taste like? Are we talking about hard core Red Man's Chaw or 'a little pinch between the cheek and gum' Skol. That minty stuff smells kinda good. Especially the wintergreen stuff my cousin Jack uses. I always smell him before I see him. In a good way. It's usually at a funeral so anything good smelling is a plus. Curious minds...

Pickle juice ain't half bad. I really like Lays Dill Pickle potato chips. So that could be a plus for me. I'll let you decide about the baccky juice though. I'm assuming non menthol. :happy0203:

I wonder if people in the olden days Sat around the campfire singing Kumbaya and drinking kombucha? 

I hate when my mind goes to those places. :gaah:

ADD at its finest. Squirrel!

• Haha 3