MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Lose weight

zzelle

I have put on about 50lbs these last 7 years after I have had several different surgeries. After one of them I almost died. I was in ICU for 3 1/2 days with fluid on my lungs and around my heart. Anyways after that is when I started to gain even more of my weight. Then I had my hysterectomy. Both boys are autistic and I have high anxiety. When my anxiety kicks in I crave sweets or snacks. I have no interest in exercise. I want to lose weight but i never stick to anything. I have zero will power. I don't know what to do. My husband tries to help but I always give up after a few weeks of healthy eating or a week or two of exercising. I will see someone eating a cookie or something and i will say 1 wont hurt then i will eat another then i keep going.  Then i look at myself and say you already had 3 or so might as well give up. Sorry so long

• Sad 1

I have lost 35 lbs since mid-December.  The first 12 or so disappeared for no reason other than that I stopped drinking sodas.  No ginger ale, no cola, no pellegrino fruity sodas.  Replaced them with water, unsweet tea, Bubly, LaCroix, etc.   Then I went on Whole30, which has a hard-line zero sugar policy.  That was hard, and harder was eating no cheese of any kind, but it's only thirty days.  You can make yourself eat (or avoid eating) anything for thirty days.  After the thirty days, you decide what you want to let back into your life until you're ready to lose the next 10 pounds, and then you do another thirty days.  I'm starting back tomorrow.

• Like 3

The 30-day limit and the hard black line rules are your two major lifelines.  If you look at a cookie two weeks in, you can certainly have it--but tell yourself that if you do, you have to start your thirty days over from the beginning.  Two more weeks of this, or four and a third?  Then one more week of this...vs a month from this point.  As you go along and get more and more deprived-feeling, it gets increasingly easy to say "Not today."

• Like 3

My DH and I are both on the AIP protocol which eliminates dozens of foods that are known to be inflammatory.  It is probably one of the toughest diets I've tried but it, like the whole thirty, is not meant to be a forever diet.  It is more of an elimination diet that allows you to gradually add back foods to see what foods might be causing reactions.  I lost twenty pounds in six weeks while eating unlimited quantities of the allowed foods.  There really is huge quantities of them.  The only reason I can stick to it is the hopes it will help with my health.   The AIP, like the Whals Diet and others, is directed towards autoimmune diseases and that's why I chose it.

I believe the hardest part of any diet is finding one that works for you.  If you can't stay on it, believe me I've been there, then you might not have the right way of eating and the right incentive for you.  If you know a bit about nutrition why not sit down and formulate your OWN diet plan.  It's a lot easier to stick to something you come up with than to try to stay on something that someone else tells you to do.  Listen to your body. Don't think losing weight, after all being overweight is only relative to the society and era we live in, think healthy.  If you want that sweet then build it into the diet plan but choose the healthiest version of that sweet you can find. At least with your own plan you won't feel any guilt at changing it as you find what does and doesn't work.  It's your choice you are only answering to you.  Let us know if you've come up with anything as it might just help someone else.  

:bighug2:

• Like 3
21 hours ago, zzelle said:

se weight but i never stick to anything. I have zero will power. I don't know what to do. My husband tries to help but I always give up after a few weeks of healthy eating or a week or two of exercising.

Have you heard of the ketogenic diet? Here's a link to my experience/journey. https://www.facebook.com/ketobetic/

590569231_5waycomparisonjan2019.JPG.9bd94b1d3be1af593da225ea3d3d6fc2.JPG

• Like 3

That worked so well for you, Midnight!!!  :cheer:    I like the martial arts aspect too!  Low carb is the sort of diet DH and I both respond to well.  ....but right now, it's not worth the effort.  Too many other ISSUES in our lives.  But I've come down a little more after hospital adventure.  Likely 5# of water they put into me.   

Wanna know a really fast diet?  Go take care of ELDERLY parents when one comes home from hospital....hip replacement.  Did I mention a 3 story house and my designated bathroom was basement.  Three weeks......13 pounds.   I'm sure I should come up with a name for this diet.....  :rolleyes: 

MtRider  :thumbs: 

• Like 2

I've stalled out at 151 (which is 81 pounds down) since I got back from FL March 29th.  Not gained but haven't lost at all.  I have allowed some snacks in and a little is never enough.  My step daughter in Illinois has had the same problem, so we are both starting again today.  She does dash diet and I do Green Smoothies for Life by J J Smith.  I still walk or do a video every day and hit 10,000 steps almost every day, but not getting anywhere with the added snacks.  @zzelle, the 10 day green smoothie cleanse (J J Smith) is how I started last July 11th and then kept going.  These are the only plans I have ever been able to stick with so that is the only advice I can give.  The best inspirational quote I have ever seen is " If I give up now, I will soon be back where I started, and when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now"!

• Like 4

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful advice. My husband and I are trying to cut out potatoes and corn in any form. His mom lost 45lbs in 4 months from not eating those items. Then i am slowly going to try to give up pop and try to walk every day and add mors things in to hopefully lose weight and keep it off 

• Like 6

Good decisions.  You will see results and that will keep you on track.  Good luck.

Hugs

• Like 2

Today i ate mashed potatoes and corn not a whole lot but i did. My kids said you gave up on your diet. I said no sometimes we all have our set backs today was a setback . i will keep moving forward 

• Like 4

If you're going forward, look forward.  

Carbs are the feel-good nutrient.  You want them more when things are going poorly or stress is high.  Don't beat yourself up for a setback.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...