MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Soc Security scam....I got this call

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/social-security-impostor-scam-apos-114102652.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=2_14

I got this call a few wks ago.  I hung up, of course.  How can people fall for these things??????  :cheeky-smiley-067: SS office would never be calling you.  You have to BEG them to call you! 

MtRider  .....just be careful out there, friends. 

• Like 1

Related.  I do not have a phone, so I do not know.  Did they ever create the option of declining 'caller id' for 'ANI' (Automatic Number Identification)|(the 'billing' number) ?  That would kill a lot of the junk.

And the Universal Do Not Call Initiative (UDNCI) has been gutted by politicos, in case somebody missed it.

Sarah

• Like 1

We don't have caller ID so I'm not sure either, Sarah.  Sure would be nice to keep the garbage outside.  Hmph!

We've been on the usual Do Not Call lists but some things weasel thru any legal....semi-legal gaps.  Getting a lot of robot calls "from Microsoft" or some such.  Hmph!

... I unplug phone when I go to bed and plug it in when I'm ready to take calls in morning.  My only [partial] defense.  :shrug:   But it means my folks can't give us an emergency call in the night....should something happen.  I told them to send the Sheriff's dept out to wake us.  They'll do that.

MtRider  :(

Those calls are the bane of my existance. I get so many of them. Both live and robo. I think every man, woman and child in India has my phone number. I'm on the do not call list but it doesn't work. 

Yesterday I got 4 calls from Heal Thinsurance. Not a typo. And each call had a different number. I wonder why we aren't running out of phone numbers?

Most of the time the call says "unavailable" on the ID. Now they come from my area code which is also a lie. Last week I got a call from my own name and phone number. 

The thing is, I have caller ID and an answering machine. The problem is when I get a call over a couple of seconds long the machine goes off. That's okay but when it does that it beeps every 10 seconds or so, kind of loud, telling me I have a missed call. Of course that beep drives me up a wall. 

There ought to be a law....oh wait.  :angry:

Edited by Jeepers
Ack. This Kindle always posts too soon..
  • Like 3

I watched a news program (the only one we watch) and they were saying that the powers that be are wanting to pass a bill that enables internet/phone providers to block all robo calls.  There was a mixed discussion, but personally I think it might be a good thing...especially for the really senior's who get confused easily.  Had some joker call a day or so ago and ask for my hubby.  I asked "who's calling?" and he said "I'm sorry for security reasons my screen..." and hung up! LOL

• Like 2

One of those calls, was my own number....how’d they manage that?!  Gave us a good laugh for a moment.

The “Do not Call” system doesn’t work.  We’re on it, but the calls come in constantly.  We’ve been curious about the calls that come in after driving to TX. Most of the calls come from towns we pass on I-10.  :scratchhead:

• Sad 1

I had to get a new phone number last year.   Scammers were using my "spoofed" (making my phone number show up on caller ID's when it was the scammer calling) phone number.   I had some unpleasant messages left on my answering machine from people who thought I was calling their house several times a day, every day,  for weeks.   

The phone company kept trying to trace it and basically it all came from overseas call centers and there was nothing they could do to stop it.  

That is terrible OOTO.

Anarchy "they" are pinging  your cell phone as you go through those towns and getting your locations. 

If Amber alerts and weather alerts and reverse 911 calls are robo calls then they should.have their own frequency or whatever it's called. Then only emergency people could use robo calls. Crimony, at least make the scammers dial the phone.

• Like 2

:blink:   That's odd.  "Dogmom" doesn't sound like a Chinese name.....   :whistling:  

;) 

We do put up with downright harrassment in this electronic era.  Hmph!

MtRider  ....even from out in the boonies here.  :wave: 

• Haha 2

I get calls from local numbers, and I'm worried about blocking them since I work at a church and my cell phone number is out there for the church members to call if they need to.  

I've gotten a few calls from people who say they've missed a call from my number, and explained to them that it's scammers making it look like they're calling from a local number.

• Sad 2

Wow, TheCG.    :tapfoot:  This stuff is really messing up our ability to do normal activities.  We've always had an unlisted number.....and that obviously has not helped either.  Course we've had this number for decades and with the random dialing, it will hit listed and unlisted the same.

MtRider  .....time for a brand new technology?  :buttercup: 

6 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Wow, TheCG.    :tapfoot:  This stuff is really messing up our ability to do normal activities.  We've always had an unlisted number.....and that obviously has not helped either.  Course we've had this number for decades and with the random dialing, it will hit listed and unlisted the same.

MtRider  .....time for a brand new technology?  :buttercup: 

I already have to introduce an app and a people software to all the folks up at church.  I am NOT trying to explain more brand new technology any time soon. :runcirclsmiley2:

• Haha 1

Yep, I got one of those calls too....this time it was the IRS going to jail me for unpaid taxes unless I sent money immediately.  I told them I was disputing it and hung up on them.  IRS uses the mail, not phone calls.  I must be on the "old and gullible" list, LOL.  

• Like 3

I now "play my game"...I ask "who are you?" (like I'm hard of hearing)  and then I blow my whistle just as loud as I can after they tell me...and then hang up! Rude?  Yep.  Belligerant? Yep.  Hateful? Yep.  All of the above!

• Like 2