MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Bicycle + Pool Noodle...can you guess?

I guessed wrong, but this looks like a great idea.  Especially to someone like me who has twice been clipped and stopped riding because of it.

I've hardly used bicycles except on country gravel roads .  They were miserable to pedal the heavy old bikes of my childhood....gained a lot of muscles in legs and arms.  The light skinny wheels wouldn't have lasted on gravel roads...unstable. 

Oh...I guess I did use a bike on Maui for some months before we got a car.  Going thru the road work area did get a little skeeery!  It was a bridge construction and there was no way around.  It was at nite so I'd wait for a long opening between cars.....then pedal like crazy to be thru that narrrrrow part with cement barricades and back off to the side of the highway before the next car came thru.  I'd forgotten that.  :puzzledsmile: 

From stories told, seems like cars/bikes attract like magnets.  :wacko:   .....as in, driver focuses on bike and not focused on keeping his/her car AWAY from the bike!  :gaah:  Would that "magnetic attraction"  ....visual then unconsciously steering towards bike....be doubled with such a strange sight to stare at?  Or....does it really 'create space' as they are intending?

Midnight, I'd be interested in hearing the opinions. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:  

22 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

Shared to my traffic safety FB group. I will let you know how it was received/accepted. ;)

This article received many many comments, in my FB group, but I was quite surprised by the content of the comments. :O

People either LOVED it or they HATED it - there was no middle ground!!!

But maybe that's just the "nature" of Facebook. :/

• Confused 1

Personally I think you need more...one on the front one on the back and one on each arm and leg LOL. Seriously I remember back in the day when I was a kid we had an orange flag on a pole hooked to our back wheel that was like 10 feet tall (well maybe not that tall but when you are kid...) so cars could see us.

• Like 2

I had one of those orange triangle flags sticking up from the back of my disability scooter.  Back in the decade we still lived in apartment across the street from the Safeway.  Those scooters don't scoot fast enough with all those cars! 

MtRider  :rolleyes: 

I don't know. The first thing I thought about was a vehicle passing by and the mirror hitting the noodle and knocking the bike over. 

"Hitting the noodle and knocking the bike over." Sounds like new prepper code for something. :P

• Haha 1