MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mt_Rider

A quick walk ....and EDC

Maui's been in the news alot lately.  A man was fatally attacked by a shark....right off shore from a major hotel strip.  :o   A place we've been many times.  I think he MIGHT have been just off the shelf and into the DEEP....which is an area you might find the hunters.  :(  

Then there was the surprising locate/rescue of a woman lost for 17 days.  Pretty deep into the tropical vegetation and severe topography.  Not to mention aggressive wild pigs.  Really....searchers ran into them. 

She planned to go for just a little hike/jog.  What did she bring with her? 

Wearing:  capri pants.  Tank tops.  Shoes [possibly just rubber slippahs which are toe thongs].  Hair binder. 

And pretty much nothing else, apparently.  Keys [and thus anything helpful on the key ring], water bottle, cell phone, etc were left at her car because........she was just going down the path a ways.  :grinning-smiley-044:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/25/us/hawaii-hiker.html?fbclid=IwAR24AlfBT7orH2DC4KHpYn2TFlhoTBu3GmjOS1CVww12C9vgejy01YMaPT4

It's an interesting story....from her initial bad choices to her grit and determination as days..WEEKS... go by and she becomes injured and weakened.  She makes some good choies that saved her....like getting near water to keep hydrated. 

Application for us:   [...Well you knew that was coming, right?

I immediately began to asses my EDC .....again.   For any new folks.....EDC means Every Day Carry ( also known as Layer One).   EVERY day carry.  ALWAYS carry.  Don't even go out the door without it.  In my case, I don't go further than the upper deck porch unless I've got most of it.  House PHONE being #1.....even if I'm just going down to do laundry.  [note to self: quit putting PHONE in laundry basket cuz ya forget it and it drowns!]  :busted: 

Seriously, this is what I've noted:

A.  Since DH has retired, I haven't been quite as vigilant.  Cuz I have back-up at home now, most of the time.  That's a new situation for me but I don't want it to allow me carelessness. 

B.  It's summer and I need to get water into my EDC, even if it's a little bottle.  BUT....if I was really serious, I think I should be carrying a Sawyer Mini and a flat "canteen".   Anywhere in our barnyard/pastures....the creek/pond is there.  But not drinkable without at least filtering.  CGA first mentioned the Sawyer brand; she liked it.  I put that on my To Buy list.

C.  It's summer and I also need to slip a folded mylar sheet into my EDC.  It will be a protection from sun/heat if I every fall-and--can't-get-up. 

D.  It's summer and the First Aid Instant Cold Pack [crack open the capsule and it's a short-term freezer pack] needs to get back into my EDC.  :unsure:  ...Not used in snowy winter, of course.....and well, I'm not sure it's quit snowing yet.  But we're close to being TOO HOT.  At least part of the day.  :frozen:  B)  :frozen:   <----- this does not help me with EDC!  Hmph!

E.  Not yet but soon, it will be time to add at least one face mask for dust and/or smoke.  My particular sensitivity even when it might not be at levels that bother others.  I do have a whole box in my vehicle....and DH's vehicle.  And the bandanna but it does not work as well.

F.  After reading about her 17 day emergency, I think I want to put a few more pills into my EDC.  Antihistamine...in case of smoke inhalation...for my particular allergic reaction.  I have Nuprin [200mg] but might put a couple Strong Ibuprofen [900mg] in too.   Can you imagine trying to move after breaking one of the bones in lower leg?  And whatever happened to the skin on her ankles?  OW!  That would send my MS-impaired nervous system into shock way too fast.  Anti-diarrhea med?  She was eating moths...  On the premise that a few pills won't take up much space or weight....  :shrug:  Thinking on this. 

G.  Some have counseled to have a trauma bandage.  Don't own one of those.  I always have a bandanna or two.  Figured that would suffice.  Mebbe?  I'm rethinking this one too.

If I get too much, I cannot carry the weight/bulk.  I'm already carrying protection things like bear spray and such for our larger wildlife issues.  So I need to think this through and try it out. 

Here is my EDC and I DO faithfully carry all this in pockets/key chain/etc.  EVERYwhere, not just here.  [except the bear spray.]   List divided into category rather than location.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

water bottle(s) ...maybe.  Many in my vehicles tho.

eyeglasses and sunglasses ...hat ...leather belt

watch ...hair binder ...medic-alert bracelet

Pockets        *=on key ring/carabiner

E-bar

Peppermints (2)

Peppermint gum

whistle*

house PHONE

small knife*

SAK  [Swiss Army Knife]

P38*

key chain light*

lip balm  [it's also fire starter/sunscreen]

lighter

bandanna

Kleenex (2-3)

string

safety pin*

hair pin

bread tie*

$$$

In a Ziplock

Drivers License and other Permit

Medicare card/other ins.

Map of our immediate area

Folks cell#s [NEED Maui #s]

2 Bandaids

Ahem....Protection from wildlife

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

MtRider  ....what ELSE is imperative to save/sustain life before one can get to a larger pack/vehicle/further aid/etc? 

Edited by Mt_Rider

They have chewable painkillers, now, and Tylenol with mint that you can dissolve in your mouth.  Lots easier than hoping you can swallow a pill.  (If you suspect you can't swallow and need a pill, remember that the tissues at the other end absorb very well--and don't process medications through the liver before making them available to the body as a whole.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Wow.....I didn't know any of that!  See why we gather here!  :grouphug: 

Minty Tylenol?  :unsure:    ......... :yum3: ??????????   :sHa_sarcasticlol:

MtRider  :sSig_thankyou:

• Like 2

I circled back to Amazon and could only find bubblegum and grape.  Hm...do I have any of the mint left?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.