MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I wanted to find out what I can use vinegar for.  

Readers Digest has a long list. 

https://www.rd.com/home/cleaning-organizing/150-household-uses-for-vinegar/

....soak old rags in vinegar & steak them around the plants to keep deer away... ?!!  Cool idea, I’d like to know if it works. Of course, here in the desert, we don’t have a deer problem. :whistling:

• Like 2

Ooooohhhh... nice, spray ant hills with it and they don’t like it....  nice.  I’m definitely going to try that one.  Harvester ants have decided to make my yard their home.

• Like 1

We use vinegar for cleaning all kinds of things here.  I put it in spray bottles and spray and wipe.  It really shines faucets, appliances, Windows, and more.  I clean the toilets with it, use it for sanitizing C-pap supplies, cleaning mold, and it works great with soda to clean drains among other things. Plus I make a nice hair rinse with it and herbs that leaves my hair soft and tangle free.    Love vinegar.   :hapydancsmil:

• Like 3

I go through a lot of white vinegar for cleaning, too.  I hope to be able to switch over all the cooking and a lot of the cleaning to home-grown citrus over the course of the next couple of years.  Several of the sour varieties are everbearing, meaning I get two to three thin pickings a year, and hopefully this kind won't be bearing in the same week as that kind.  If it does, well, I have a freezer.

• Like 2

Vinegar at full strength.....I drop our shower head-on-a-hose down into a tall can with vinegar and soak it for 24 hrs.  Time it just after that day's showers and before the next day.  Helps eat away the corrosion of well water.  Use cotton [recycled from the herb bottles] sopped with vinegar and wrap around the base of faucets to eat away that corrosion.  Leave it til it loosens and I can scrub off the corrosion. 

MtRider  :dishes: 

• Like 2

I do that too Mt. Rider. I also do the baking soda and vinegar in the sink drain too. 

Lately I've had a bad infestation of gnats. I put out some vinegar and a squirt of Dawn dishwashing liquid around the kitchen and living room and it really helps. I got a couple of packages of little plastic shot type glasses at the Dollar Tree and use them. I think they are supposed to be used at weddings and showers for nuts or mints on the tables. I use them, flush the contents every other day, rinse and reuse them. They are small, portable and cheap. I think I originally got them to use for catsup dipping for fries. They work better than a bowl because the opening is small and the sides are slippery. 

• Like 2

I've done that catching with fruit flies.  Came in with a batch of bananas this winter.  I used the tiny glass jar from Oui brand of Greek yogurt.  [...discovered I hate Greek yogurt]  Put vinegar in the bottom and put plastic wrap/sandwich bag tight over the top...secure with rubber band.  Poke holes with a bamboo shish kabob skewer.  They go in and can't find their way out.  Gnats are the same size. 

Does the Dawn soap keep them from flying away or what?  :scratchhead: 

Jeepers.....your boy is the right age to be awed by the vinegar and baking soda "volcano".  Make a mud model of a volcano.  Embed a small-ish jar into the top.  Like a prescription medications bottle....tall/narrow.  Top of bottle should be even with the top of 'volcano'.  Put quantity of baking soda into pill bottle....third to half full.  Then pour in vinegar tinted with red food coloring [or washable tempera paint which doesn't stain] for grand "lava" affect.  I've done this science trick with countless kids in my career.  Heard a bit of dish soap makes it foam more.   Of course this volcano can be recharged to erupt many times!  Do it again, Grma! 

MtRider  .....don't have any lil' kids to play with anymore.  Hmph. 

• Like 1

Thanks. I had totally forgotten about the volcano model. He's out of school for the summer and doesn't quite understand the concept of summer vacation. 

Yes, the detergent makes it so they can't get back out. I think it forms some kind of film barrier. Or maybe it just kills them. They said use Dawn and that's what I happened to have had. I imagine any kind would work. I didn't have to put plastic wrap on it. 

• Like 1

The soap is a surfactant (I think that's the right word).  It basically breaks the surface tension so they fall down in rather than staying on the surface.

• Like 2

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.