MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jeepers

Misting Systems

Anyone have any experience or just thoughts about a misting system? They could be fixed into a canopy, umbrella, pergola or eaves. No electricity. Just water.

I remember my cousin saying they use them at open stadiums at ball parks etc. in Arizona. Of course they are industrial machines but I wonder about a small system just for a deck at home?

Here is a sample of a do-it-yourself system I ran across Googling. It's from Home Depot. I'm sure there are many other systems. This is the first one I ran across and got kind of excited. This one is $16.00.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DIG-Ocean-Breeze-Evaporative-Mist-Cooling-System-BC380/204179098

DIY Misting.jpg

• Like 1

I saw something last year on how to make an air cooler using a styrofoam cooler, ice, and a fan but that does use electricity.  Why not look into a swamp cooler.  Not sure about using them on a deck but they work in Windows for cooling rooms.  They use an evaporative process.  

We tried a few of the Styrofoam cooler thingies, and none of them worked noticeably.  Better off leaning against that jug of ice. 

The misting systems feel good if you have a fan going too, but actually the fan alone feels almost as good.  I'm talking about in our humidity, of course, which seldom drops blow 60%.

Swamp coolers are pretty foreign to us upper/eastern/midwestern folks. I had to look it up. Dehumidifyer? I was thinking along the lines of non-elecrtic. In other words cheap. I can't take the heat any more. I'd be doomed without a fan of mister or something. I still have that Ryobi fan in my Amazon wish list. It might have to stay parked there for awhile though. 

I have a couple of those little battery operated fans but I'm sure they would eat through batteries. I want some sort of generator but now I can't afford one.

Two BIG myths in life I've learned so far;

1. All fat people aren't jolly.

2. All old people aren't always cold.

I'm speaking for myself here on both accounts. Just a little FYI  :girlneener:

• Haha 2

In humid Minnesota, we used a dehumidifier in the basement and it helped keep down mold but also the air felt better. 

In arid CO we use swamp coolers ....sometimes whole house swamp coolers.  AKA: Evaporative Coolers.  They are a box with 3 sides of absorbent matting.  A small pump cycles the water [pooled in the base of the box] up to the trough at the top of each side's matting....keeping those constantly drippy wet.  The water comes [with a float valve regulating] from a copper pipe to your outside water spigot....constant pressure and fills when the float valve opens the line. 

So you have mechanism working off a normal pressurized plumbing system.  A small amount of electric for the water pump to lift the water to trickle down.  THEN you have the most electric draw with the loud "squirrel-cage" type fan sucking the air from within the swamp cooler box and pushing it into the house.  ....ours is a big window unit.  Air is drawn thru those wet pads and on into the room.  In good evaporative conditons like arid west, it works very well.  QUITE cold.  It is cheaper...using less electricity than air conditioners. 

Not sure if the evaporative conditions in the southeast or midwest would work as well.  :shrug:  In order to have evaporation into the air, the air must have less moisture saturation than 100%.   

:groooansmileyf:     My memories of Iowa and Minn include thinking that we were all breathing water.....humidity was so high and so miserable.  :knary:  

Works best in arid conditions BECAUSE moisture will readily transfer into the air passing thru the wet pads.  ....and I'm getting in over my head with the science....   :shrug: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporative_cooler

The mist idea is running off of the evaporation concept too.  There is an area on Maui where the misty rain is often wetting you but the moderate breeze is drying you....and they call it Hawaiian Blessing.  :thumbs:   [still krinkles my hair tho]

NON-electric cooling....hang wet sheets in front of open windows with a breeze.  That sort of thing.  Again, evaporative works most noticeably with dry air. 

MtRider ....my 2 cents.  

• Like 1

We have a misting system around our porch swing.  It works great, and DH really likes it.  A lot of homes & business, in our area, have installed misters on their porches. The ones I have, are portable/movable, were under $10. at WM. 

Pros, it cools very well. Cons, if it’s too close to you, you will get soaked. BTDT, almost every time we use it. But, here, in the dry heat, it is a relief.  

It uses very little water pressure.  I turn on the hose, wait for it to mist, then, almost turn the water off. I popped the end piece off one time, when I didn’t reduce the pressure. 

34A3CBE7-1DB0-47EB-A81D-5C023DB09E0B.jpeg

11025A6F-C4AE-4087-A4A4-44C905065A13.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Swamp coolers were very popular here.  They don’t work very well when it is humid. Annual maintenance, cleaning the pads & lime deposits, then, covering them in the winter, has caused many people to convert to AC. 

If the minsters take very little water pressure perhaps they could be used with a gravity fed system.  Cool thought (pun intended) :knary:

• Like 2

Thanks Annarchy. I'm going to get one even if I don't use it until next year. :thumbs:

It's very humid around me. I'm going from the south end of one Great Lake (Erie) to the south end of another Great Lake (Michigan). I don't think a swamp cooler or dehumidifier would be of much use for me. I've seen pictures of tall fans that have a water reservoir that put out a mist. I'm sure they would be expensive plus they depend on electricity. 

My cousin lives in Arizona and they have the swamp thing. But they really like the misters for when they are outside. He is in Yuma.  :knary:

I'll bet yours feels so good Annarchy. I know I've been in the outdoor section of a garden center on a hot humid sweltering day and purposefully walked by their misters. I wasn't the only one either. It felt delightful. 

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.