MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mt_Rider

Lightning Strikes....5 ways

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/5-ways-you-can-be-struck-by-lightning-and-only-1-involves-a-direct-strike/70008652

:o  Concrete is a relatively good conductor of electricity???  The rebar....  Read the article. 

In this high elevation, we have often fatal strikes.  Don't be the highest object sticking up but do NOT flatten on the ground.  Duck down....away from other tall objects but be on the balls of your feet.  As little contact with ground as possible.  Not in puddles....not on soggy ground. 

Some years ago we had a guy that beat all the odds, unfortunately.  On motorcycle going 60mph and was struck on the helmet.  Tho he was probably killed instantly, he and cycle flew off the road and down a very steep/deep embankment.  Whew!  What's the chances of that? 

One thing I'm always wary of is metal/wire fences that stretch out ...connected....for VERY long lengths of fencing.  It can hit a mile down the road and if the fencing is connected...and drenched from rain....it can get ya!  I've always tried to have animals in and settled and not dealing with them in the storm.  A few times, that didn't happen.  One of the reasons why I'm always watching weather.  :hidingsmile:

MtRider  .....take care, friends! 

• Like 2

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/lightning-strike-injures-8-hikers-at-devils-head-in-colorado/70008708

And a few minutes later I saw that this happened today in Colorado...  injured but not killed.  One in critical condition tho. 

MtRider  ...yikes. 

EDIT:  Actually that 8 person/1 dog group was on Sunday.  Then on Monday there were two separate people hit in another storm in a different part of the state. 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Sad 1

I'm really afraid of lighning. A bolt went through a cousins house a few years back and knocked her DH across the room and caused a burn on him.

My stepdad was a lineman for the city. Every time there was a bad storm and the power went out they would have to go out in it, climb the pole with metal spikes, and get the power back on. No switch flipping back in those days. Anyway, he got struck by lightning two times. Once his watch started spinning and broke.

He said he could never keep a watch running after that. Don't know if that part is true or not though. 

• Like 2

Lightning has some seriously WEIRD affects! 

MtRider  :behindsofa: 

• Like 1

Jeeps, same with my mom.  A fiance bought her a rose-gold watch once that she kept for years and years, although it had died after the second wearing.

• Like 1

It is pretty to look at...from afar. I have a couple of sound effect CD's of rain and storms. They are soothing. 

• Like 3

As a city girl, I hadn't given much thought about wire fences and how far a lightening strike could travel. But I can recall a heavy storm 48 years ago whilst in school, 4 boys aged 12 where playing truant, kicking a tin can to each other whilst cutting across the cricket field, lightening struck and all 4boys were killed, it was such a tragic accident as the boys where cousins. When ever there is a storm i head indoors, lightening is pretty to look at but I prefer at a distance.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Welcome, Ro!  

What a horrible thing to strike that poor family!

Hey Ro!  Long time since you've been here.  :wave:  How have you been?

Awful....4 in one family tribe?  ....for a dumb kid trick when should have been safe inside.  How sad.  Up here in mountains, the schools are very cautious.  Even the grocery stores call in the guys collecting those long strings of shopping carts.   One coach, some years ago, called in the high school players from soccer field.  One went back for a couple balls and died.  One of those staggering events...no...no...nooooo!   :(

One of the problems is our perception of lightning - one zig-zag line ....like we drew with yellow crayon as children.  It does do that.  But it can also split all over in a half dozen different strands.  It can travel miles --- sideways.  It can travel thru a lot of objects.  It can strike and strike and strike again.....like a snake!  So very unpredictable! 

MtRider    Yiiiiiike! 

Edited by Mt_Rider
fixin'
  • Sad 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.