MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
kappydell

the story of the discintigrating stove

Since we moved into this home, the oven door started coming loose.  As it got looser and looser M & I planned to screw it up again, and we did tighten two screws right behind the door handle.  They LOOKED like they were the right ones, but they dod not correct the situation.  Over to google, and I found a U-tube on how to tighten the oven handle on my make of stove.  Holy Crow!  There were about 5 steps to take before we could tighten that pesky handle - take the door off; lay it on a padded & sturdy surface, front side facing down;  remove the side and top trim pieces; unscrew the back of the door and remove it; and THEN tighten the screws to the spacers inside the door, which would in turn tighten the door handle.  Yoikes!  I immediately fired off an inquiriy to the manufacturer as to why they had to make things so much more complicated than in days of yore (my young adult days) unless they were in cahoots with the repair shops to give them more work.  

Thank goodness for you tube.  I mentioned to M that those two screws were not the door handle ones, and that just tightening the handles was going to be a real PITA.  She was watching TV, so perhaps she did not hear it, or it did not really register.  Live and learn....

2 days later we were going to tighten the handle after dinner.  I asked her to give me a heads u so I could help since the stove people had made it complicated.  well, after dinner she walked into the kitchen, thinking "How hard can it be to tighten a door handle, for pity's sake?" and did not mention to me what she was going to do,, since we had already had a full day of yard work.  Nice person she is she was going to let me rest.  She opened the door, fiddled with the screws, and the door discintegrated!  She did catch the glass front as the entire front of the door fell off of the stove, so nothing broke, but the cussing was heartfelt and dramatic!  I ran into the kitchen, exclaiming "What the F did you do???" and she of course said "I just loosened a couple screws and everything fell apart!"  More cussing.

We spent the next 3 hours doing the jigsaw puzzle without success - removed the door, took EVERYTHING apart,  finally quitting when we were too tired to see straight, let alone make a screw driver work.  The next day, we got everything put together (with help from You tube) after a few bits of confusion that you tube did not address (like in what order the parts had to be re-assembled).  

when everything was together, we put the door back on and ...it would not close properly.  One side was askew.  

After another fitful night with visions of stove parts dancing thru my dreams, and our friend (another prepper) came over to look at the situation with fresh eyes, as we were soooooo frustrated that we wanted to use it for target practice in the back yard.  She discovered that one part was bent, and bent it back into place.  HOOORAY!!!  Our oven is whole again, AND the door handle is tight, as well.  

The moral of the story.....google before unscrewing things on equipment, ESPECIALLY critical stuff you can't afford to replace,  because  Mr Murphy (and his laws) is still around!  

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 2

Whooooooeeeee, what a story!  So glad it had a happy ending.  :balloons:   The middle was quite a nightmare tho!  :unsure: 

MtRider  :pc_coffee: 

PS:  ......so I typed this out and finished by clicking off the page....before hitting 'submit reply' button.  :sassing:   I'm tired of my brain going on vaca w/o me!  :sigh:  Thanks for the 'auto save and retrieve' tho.  Don't ask me for help fixin' things like oven doors.... :grinning-smiley-044:   I say ooops too often! 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1

What a mess. And so frustrating. I have to Google/Youtube everything. Even if I THINK I know how to do something I look it up. My common sense isn't always so common these days.

• Like 2

Thank goodness she caught the glass. Take it form someone that knows that stuff shatters in to a gazillion little pieces. 

• Like 2

Glad you were able to fix it. 

This house had an in cabinet oven.  One bottom hinge was broken. I tried using it several times, by bracing a broom handle against it. Horrible results.  I gave up and got a toaster oven, which we used for 30+ years, before being blessed with a real stove/oven.  When removing that old 1950’s, pink oven, it was amazing how it was designed and how many screws it had.  Funny.... we put it out next to the sidewalk & it was gone in less than an hour....  good luck to them...  lol.

• Like 1

I have a similar, yet not so similar, situation.

My laptop will NOT keep the current time - it bounces all over the place and will even go backwards in time to the previous day! :O 

The issue is apparently the BIOS battery - you know, a $1.00 part. I called a few computer 'repair' places and asked them how much it would cost to have the battery replaced. All estimates were up around $100.00!!! So, I decided to do it myself. Took the back off of the comp and could not find the battery, so a google search I did. This led me to a YouTube "how to" video, much like happened to you.  :)

The reason it costs so much to replace that stinky little battery is because you have to DECONSTRUCT the whole d@mn thing to get to where the battery is located. THREE HOURS of labor just to take it apart, then another 3 to put it back together. :( You guessed it.....................the clock is still wacky because the battery still needs to be replaced.  I just have to manually update it every once in a while (when I think about it).

The biggest "issue" I have with it is that it will assign an incorrect time and date to any file or pic that I save to my hard drive unless I remember to make sure the clock is correct before doing so.

:pc_coffee:

• Sad 3

On 7/12/2019 at 11:04 AM, Annarchy said:

Glad you were able to fix it. 

This house had an in cabinet oven.  One bottom hinge was broken. I tried using it several times, by bracing a broom handle against it. Horrible results.  I gave up and got a toaster oven, which we used for 30+ years, before being blessed with a real stove/oven.  When removing that old 1950’s, pink oven, it was amazing how it was designed and how many screws it had.  Funny.... we put it out next to the sidewalk & it was gone in less than an hour....  good luck to them...  lol.

In Wisconsin I did all my cooking in the microwave...EVERYTHING...even baked bread in it, because the stove was so old & kept breaking down.  Rather than fight with it, or bother the landlord I just used the micro instead, so I would not stress it after he fixed it the last time.  Lots of work, though I did get an education from helping him replace bits & pieces of it!

Darn engineers nowdays, I don't think they WANT folks to fix things themselves any more.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kappydell said:

Darn engineers nowdays, I don't think they WANT folks to fix things themselves any more.  

Planned obsolescence! 

MtRider  :mad: 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.