MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Do you know or remember your grandparents

I remember three of my grandparents. My dad's father left when he was only two so we never met him or any of his family. My Dads Mom died when I was 13. I remember her well. She had an apartment off the square in Haverhill. I used to go visit her and remember most brushing her hair. She had long beautiful hair. I also remember that she used to take us to a corner bar that served sandwiches during thte day. I also remember the day that she died. We hadn't heard from her in a while. One day we got a call from a nursing home. They had her there, but hadn't known who she was at first. Aparently she had colasped on the street, but had nothing on her to identify her. We went to go see her at the nursing home and she died that night. She used to tell us family stories, that have been driving me crazy from a geneaology stand point. I was only 11 when my grandfather on my mother's side died. He had been living with us. Before he moved in with us, I remember we used to go visit him at his trailer. It was out in the country someplace and I remember that he didn't even have an indoor bathroom. We had to go to the outhouse. We actually thought that was a fun adventure then. I remember too that he had us roll cigarettes for him. We would fight over whose turn it was to use the roller. My Mom's mother I remember the most. She told us that she was 39, no matter what birthday she was at. I remember thinking she was fooling no one when my mother was older than her. We used to go to cookouts at her place a few times every summer. She was always a part of our lives. I was grown with a daughter of my own when she died. She had remarried when I was little, so for a while I had my grandpa and Harry. Harry was more of a grandfather to me than my mother's father was. It is just that we were young when grandpa died and Harry was always around. Granpa and Nana divorced before I remember and Harry was my other grandpa as long as I can remember. He may have not been blood, but he was our grandpa all the same. My aunt followed not long after her, which left only my uncle. It was strange when he passed because he was the last of that generation and with him passing, we became the older generation. I remember the cookouts fondly and we try to duplicate that for our own kids. I spend as much time as I can building memories with my own grand kids. Family is so important, that I tried to foster family activities and memories to bind us together. Blood alone isn't enough. We also need to develop those emotional bonds, which only happens with contact. So we do as much as we can together as a family.

• 4 months later...

I know its been a while since anyone posted on this thread but after reading everyone's response I wanted to post too!

I was blessed to know all 4 of my grandparents. I even have a picture of one of my great grandmothers holding me as a baby. My mom's parents were integral in my life while I was growing up. My grandma on that side died when I was in 8th grade and I was really torn up by her death since we were so close. My dad's parents were never in good health so I never connected with them as much when I was younger but was fortunate enough to know them a lot as I got a little older. My mom's dad was probably my best friend for years. We went fishing together. He taught me how to drive. We even went on trips together. Grandpa was everything to me. A huge part of me was lost when he lost his battle to kidney failure. (Thanks a lot - I'm crying now as I write this). I bought one of his tractors on his estate auction and I still have it stored (someday it will work the land again if I can help it). My last three grandparents all died within 3 years so it was rough on me. They taught me so much and were so proud of me...I only can hope that I am as good of a grandpa when I become one as they were to me.

th_FALLGOODMORNING1.gif

Someplace there was another thread that hit on this subject.

I was one who never grew up knowing her grandparents. The only one I ever saw was one grandpa, and I do remember him even though he died when I was 3/4 years old.

So, like Momo, I am going to make sure my grandchildren remember me. :) I've made blankets for each one except the last one and it is in the making. :)

So, be thankful every day for what you can learn from your grandparents. :)

th_FALLHUGSBEAR.gifth_HAVEAGOODDAY1.gif

Both my grandfathers died long before I was born (in fact, my maternal grandfather was buried on my mother's first birthday - RR accident), so I never knew them. My paternal grandfather was a dairy cattleman and died after my dad returned from WWII in 1946. My paternal grandmother died when I was little, so I have no real memories of her. My maternal grandmother ("Grandmama") lived with my mom and me after my parents separated early in my life. She passed away when I was 25 and I have lots of wonderful memories with her, for which I am very grateful and blessed. My DH knew both his grandmothers, but like me, both his grandfathers died when their children were very young.

BTW, DH, who is estranged from his older daughter, has been invited to his grandson's 2nd birthday party. This will be the first time he's met his DGS and the first time in 5 years he's seen (or talked to) to his DD (they communicate via email and that's been strained at times). It's something DH has prayed for since the estrangement.