MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

No. 1 Lurker

Dee

Hi ya'll. I am rather new to posting here but I have lurked for a long time. Its nice reading all your posts and learning from them. By following your suggestions and ideas I saved enough money to buy a home in cash. Its an 1880 Victorian Home high on the side of a mountain with 3 acres of land. It needs alot of fixing but that will come. I saved enough to paint the outside of the house and we are putting shutters on the windows. I can also purchase everything that I need for a master bath on the second floor, right down to pipes, insulation and tiles. Hubby and I are going to take it one room at a time. He rewired the whole house so far. He was an electrician before he went to law school. His skill saves us from hiring anyone at high fees.

The home is pretty solid with good foundation and beautiful hardwood floors. It was part of an estate sale and I purchased it for 14,000 dollars which was a bargin. The family wanted to get rid of the home. By knocking out a wall in the kitchen we found a back staircase to the upstairs and a little storage room which was hidden behind the upstairs wall. I am just so excited about it all so forgive me if I am blubbering.

This is my 2nd home. It has 8 bedrooms, 4 baths, very large living room and kitchen, and nice size dining area. Ithas a good size food and laundry pantry and a spacious cellar and the attic is huge and I have claimed that space for me. Sorry about my blubbering on and on but I am excited especially since I saved enough money by following many principles posted here by different posters.

All I need is an ocean view without the humidity.

Thankyou all so very much and I look forward to reading all your posts.

Being Frugal and Wise does work.

Reci!!!! I am so excited for you!! smile.gif

Your new home sounds wonderful, I know you're going to enjoy bringing her back to tip top shape.

We got our home in an estate sale too, and while we didn't do nearly as good as YOU did, smile.gif we asked the seller for all the appliances right down to the vacuum cleaner. They said yes on everything but the refrigerator, so we walked into an almost fully functional home.

Now, I wonder what we could do about that ocean view you need?? lol

------------------

gl.jpg

Guest Guest

OH WOW...Your home sounds absolutely gorgeous! I've always loved homes that had *character* to them.

And I'm still working on getting my home exactly *so so*...it's still not done from having gone through the fire.

But thank you so much for posting Reci and allowing us the opportunity to *meet* you and to get to know you better. And I look foward to hearing about the progress of your new home!

*smile*

------------------

d5.jpg

A real friend walks through the front door as the rest walk out

Guest Guest

Welcome Home Reci smile.gif How wonderful to get such a deal on your home! Oh I am sooo jealous of your very own attic space smile.gif

Have a seat on the porch swing and we can trade "a room at a time" stories. I'm still working on DD's bedroom I started last summer. Last summer I painted it after having to scrape 4 layers of wallpaper off the ceiling (who puts wallpaper on the ceiling confused.gif LOL) That kind of tuckered me out as I was 6 months pregnant. I'm finally back to redecorating, now that the baby is 8 months. Sewing pretty heart curtains to coordinate with the heart theme right now, and then all I have left is to install the light fixture. Can I borrow your DH?? LOL!

------------------

becca.jpg

Hi, welcome to the family.....

Ocean view? How about a pond surrounded by sand?

Maybe a wall mural?

Glad to have you join us. sounds like we can also learn from what you have accomplished.

------------------

lois.jpg

Good morning and welcome, Reci. Happy to meet you.

Sounds like you are having a great time redecorating your home. You need to post a picture of it so we can see it.

Yes, please keep us updated. smile.gif

To start a new day, I brought some nice warm muffins.

------------------

snowmomjune.gif

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I do feel like I am home. Goosey you got a nice deal with everything included in your home purchase except for the fridge. We needed a stove so it was left for us to have. As for the Ocean View Lois I wish the Cape, Cod that is wasnt that far away. I can deal with a nice pond/swimming hole.

Now Darlene and Becca both you and I have the chance to remodel one room at a time. Darlene I found charred remants of wood on the second floor where there had been a fire at one time so we have to replace them. Thought I smelled smoke upstairs. Seems the fireplace caught on fire at one time years ago and the owners just remodeled over it. The damage isnt too extensive but its there so it has to be redone. I can sympathize.

To ed and peg, debbie lee and snowmom a hooty hoot to you and thanks for making me feel welcome.

The teapot and coffee maker are always on here at the old manse so Come on over, sit a spell while I put on some fresh squeezed orange juice, fresh picked eggs warm right from the chickens and ham to go with Snowmoms muffins for a hearty feast for all of us.

Guest Guest

Your house sounds fantastic, Reci! I absolutely LOVE old homes. They have so much "history" and charm. We have an old home, about 100 years old, and it still needs a lot of work. But we do one room at a time, when we can. Yours is a Victorian? I love victorian homes...Does yours have a lot of "natural" woodwork in it and built in cabinets, book cases,etc? It sounds wonderful...Where in NY are you? I'm from southern NY, Hudson Valley area...As you get rooms done, you should post pictures of your work...would love to see what you've done!! grin.gif

BTW, Welcome to Mrs S!!! smile.gif

MrsZou

------------------

50_p1689.jpg

Hi Mrs.Zou and Ginger. I am from Upstate NY Mrs.Zou near a city called Binghamton. I grew up in this lovely area but unfortunately we have been seeing alot more crime around these days. Pataki made a deal with our mayor and past mayor to move immigrants, sex offenders and generational welfare recipients to the area which has made it more dangerous. We just had a Sheriffs deputy gunned down at a childrens park and not to far from my home a mom and her teen daughter were murdered. It wasnt expected since this is a nicer area of the city. Last month a gang of kids ganged up on a teen at a beer party they had down at the riverbank and almost killed the teen they beat up. The boy is still in a coma. Our mayors daughter was at that party but I dont know if she was part of the gang that beat the teen. I dont know if you remember that immigrant out in California who killed his family. Soyltas was his name. It was all over national news. He immigrated to Binghamton. Mr. Pataki gives the city so much much money to take these immigrants along with NYC Drugsters and gangs. We also have a muslim extremist camp in Deposit which a couple people from the camp were listed as part of Bin Ladens group and a car registered to these immigrants from Binghamton was found in Chicago along with the immigrants. Whooooo is this a bummer or what.

My home is on the side of a mountain and we are very protected with all kinds of protection. Since my hubby works for the State Supreme Court and deals with criminals staying safe is a priority.

I guess all cities have their crime but I wish Mr. Pataki and his gang would stop sending us their criminals.

I can sure tell alot of stories that would curl your hair.

My hubby says I remind him of the character Susanne Sugerbaker ( delta burke from designing women) wanting to solve problems with a wave of my handgun.

Dont let that scare you. I am not that bad.

Guest Guest

*darlene stumbles over to reci's house, only half awake...*

Could I have a cup of that coffee...I've never been a morning person...

LOL!

------------------

d5.jpg

Should I make that coffee a tad bit strong Darlene. With all my ranting here today it looks as if I had too much caffeine..lol.

While we are hitting the caffeine lets go for a sugar rush too. How about some pure real Vermont Maple Syrup for some blueberry pancakes. If that doesnt do the trick I can pull out the home made chocolate nut fudge made of confectioners sugar, chocolate and other ingredience. I can put chocolate icing on it to give it a real kick.

My DH will wonder why I am bouncing off the walls when he gets home from work. LOL