MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I wrote this today...

Guest Guest

At another forum, in response to someone defending Jane Fonda being hailed as one of the top 100 women of the century...I figured I'd share it here cause I'm still feeling quite indignant about that.

And I'll preface this all with saying, I could care less what you think about what I write, but I've been sitting here for a while in utter disbelief. I find it incredibly shallow and selfish to disregard the seriousness and sacrifice with which men and women from the beginning of our country's history have given their lives so that you and I could be free.

Where were you when a group of people from 13 colonys, had the courage to stand up to a government *across the pond*, and declare that we would be free from it's tyranny, thus the United States was born.

Where were you when 3,000,000 men and women rose up in this country, family against family, friend against friend, and where 600,000 died, once again, in the pursuit of freedom and democracy in the only war fought on our soil in the Civil War.

When we were attacked and propelled into World War I, were you anywhere around, answering the call of our Nation to stand and protect the foundation that we built this country on?

Were you by chance, standing on the shore watching the obliteration of American ships at Pearl Harbour? If you were, did that righteous indignation flood your soul as you realized that you and all you cared about was threatened by crazy lunatics that wanted to control this entire world? Did you ever lay on the beaches of Normandy, watching your best friends get shot up, scared to death, but feeling an immense pride in your heart that you were an American, and duty bound to continue to lay your life on the line, as thousands had before you?

Perhaps you were one of the first to answer the call to lay your life on the line, when communisim threatened all we are blessed with here in America, with the advent of the Korean War.

Oh...and Viet Nam. Where so many men and women once again, went to a crazy place, far far away, where neither you nor I would ever dream of venturing. Yes, there was much wrong with that war, but NONE of those wrongs had to do with the *boy and girl next door*, who were propelled into a situation that is at best, heartbreaking. How the heck would you feel if you obeyed an order from your country, only to hear some outta control wench spew her filth, and who looked you in the eyes with distain and contempt. After all, you were just a soldier?

Don't even get me started on that. I'm not THAT old, but I do have memories of the Viet Nam war, watching it on the news. I remember what our soldiers came home to in this country I have such a passion for. I'm humiliated and devestated that they were treated as they were, because of people like Jane Fonda. A classy woman? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I think NOT! A woman who we should admire as one of the most influential 100 women? I wanna puke. The first thought that comes to mind is a friend who is now a retired police officer in Cleveland. I remember the disgust he expressed about the time he met this illustrious Jane Fonda. She was being arrested at Cleveland Hopkins Airport for drug smuggling and disturbing the peace. When my friend put her under arrest, she fought him and kicked him, oh how shall we say...in that place you never kick a man. *rolling eyes*

Classy woman?

*puke*

*I* am a woman, and I am obviously highly indignant that someone who held such disrespect for this country, that my family has served for generations, would be held up in a place of honor, as someone to be admired.

It actually kinda breaks my heart that all the truly classy ones, who sacrificed their lives in wars gone by, would have that ultimate sacrifice so disrespected.

It's time that people get off their hineys in this country, being *arm chair quarterbacks* as they sip booze and enjoy the wealth of freedom they were given, but did NOT earn, and become a little more responsible and respectful for all the blessings we have here.

Geez, I could go on and on *obviously*, but I've already overstated my point. Don't cry me no rivers over a poor Jane Fonda.

She certainly never cried over an American Soldier.

And with that...I'll...

shadddup.

Darlene, I certainly could not agree more with your sentiments over those serving to defend our country with thier very lives! Well-written!

I'm not sure if you are aware of who Jane Fonda is today. She has changed her views of being an activist since becoming a Christian. She is certianly not the same woman that once used her celebrity status to protest the Vietnam war and our servicemen serving to defend our freedom. Sometimes we make a stand for issues in our past that we wish we never did...I believe this is one of those times. Just so you know...

http://www.jesusjournal.com/jj_testimony/fonda.html

Thank you for the link, Ginger...

For me, it doesn't have anything to do with forgiveness...if she has changed, then I'm glad of that.

It has more to do with the consequences of the decisions and choices she made. I personally haven't seen her making any amends, which I think would be appropriate in light of the damage she did to multitudes.

JMHO.

Having a brother in law that served in Vietnam Jane Fonda was a disgrace... She may be a Christian now and for that I thank God. But one day she will face our creator and be judged for the lives that were destroyed because of her actions.

These are just my opinions, I mean no disrespect to anyone on this board..

• 2 weeks later...

Great post. I agree with every word you said. You have put in writting everything I have been thinking since I hear. I too am the daughter of a viet nam vet and he would explode also if her name was ever mentioned in our house. If she has become a Christian I'm happy for her, but we all have to live with the consequences of our actions, past and present. I always have heard that one of the responsibilities of becomeing and being a good Christian was trying to make amends for wrongs we may have done to others- she has never tried. I have read a first hand book of a POW's treatment in viet nam and he was in a camp she visited and it wasn't pretty what happened after she left.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

lolol

Dang. I wrote this 4 years ago. I don't know what made me think about it just now, but I did a search and found it and just had to bump it up.

I guess my friends who say, "she's a real sweetie...just don't tick her off", are right.

*sigh*

It ain't easy being me.

DarleneSwoon

Archived