MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Powdered Milk.....!!!!!!!

Okay, ladies.... I found a deal yesterday... The HUGE boxes of Carnation nonfat instant milk.... marked 8.69 with 90% off!!!!! So, I grabbed all I could and got 9 huge boxes!! Now, I need all of the recipes for powdered milk!!! I know Westie posted some, and I make yogurt too and I use it for creamer, cuz it is better for diabetics...

Hi Rita, How about making sour cream out of it? If you make yogurt, you can make sour cream. I have not made it with instant milk but I make mine with half nd half or whole milk so I would suspect that if you used the powdered at double or even triple the strength it would work fairly well. You can use the same recipe that you use for Yogurt to make sour cream, just use a natural sour cream with no fillers in it in place of the yogurt culture. Daisy is the brand I use. Sour cream supposedly doesn't need quite the heat that yogurt does but it does well in my family sized yogurt maker.

I culture my yogurt and my sour cream both for 24 hours as that converts more of the milk sugars into a usable form and also helps with the lactose intollerance. I've not tried making the sour cream with a shorter time so you might have to experiment. But the home made product is SOOOO good and natural. If you try it, let us know how it works with the powdered.

Another suggestion is cheese. You should be able to use it to make cottage cheese with at least. I would think it would work especially well if you are using a rennet to set the cheese with instead of an all natural souring process.

You might also be able to use it for a soft vinegar cheese. That's extremely easy to make. Do you need the recipe for it?

Mother

How about hot chocolate mix? My family loves it. I just leave the container of mix sitting out on the counter this time of year. They add hot water and zap delicious hot chocolate.

I also make sweetened condensed using powdered milk. So cheap and easy.

If you want recipes let me know.

Rita,

here is a recipe for Horse or Goat treats using Powdered Milk. this is a good use for old milk that you just can't drink anymore.

Yummy Horse Biscuit

3 cups buscuit mix (instructions listed below)

1 or 2 carrots, coarsely grated (or apples)

2/3 cup water

1/2 cup sugar

Hint: Make biscuit mix first

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine biscuit mix, carrots, and sugar in a large bowl. Gradually add water to make a soft but not sticky dough. Knead about 15 times on a floured surface. Divide dough into 2 sections and roll each with a well flooured rolling pin to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut with a 2 inch round biscuit or cookie cutter. Bake until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Makes about 40 biscuits.

Biscuit Mix

10 cups flour

1 2/3 cup instant non fat dry milk

1/3 cup baking powder

2 1/2 teaspoon salt

1 2/3 cups shortening

Combine all ingredients in a large Tupperware bowl (8-10 quarts) that can be covered and refrigerated. Add all ingredients and mix with a mixer VERY well. Mixture should look like fine crumbs. Store tightly covered in the refrigerator. It will last about 3 months. Makes about 15 cups of biscuit mix. They make a great gifts to hand out to your horse friends.

Sour Cream (From Powdered Milk) Recipe

This is a simple and easy way to make sour cream if you have some powdered milk on hand and you are out of sour cream.

2/3 cup powdered milk

3/4 cup water (Cold)

1 teaspoon vinegar

makes 1 1/2 cups sour cream

Combine milk and water (Stirring till smooth).

Add vinegar and beat till thick.

You may need to add a drop or two more vinegar till milk curdles.

Use to take the place of store bought sour cream.

Natural Meals in Minutes

with Rita Bingham

3-Minute (Fat-Free!) Powdered Milk Cheeses

Making cheese at home used to be an all-day process. Now you can have fat-free cheeses for salads, sandwiches or casseroles - ready in almost an instant!

Nonfat dry milk, usually non-instant, is a good basic food to keep on your pantry shelf as a source of protein. If you are storing milk, 50 pounds of dry milk powder per person should be stored; over the period of one year, this amount would provide 22.2 grams of protein per day and could be consumed as three eight-ounce glasses of milk or ½ cup of cheese.

The brand of non-instant milk I use requires three cups of dry powder to make one gallon of liquid milk. Adjust the recipes to the quantities given for your particular brand of powdered milk.

Good-tasting whey from the cheese-making process can be used to replace water in nearly any recipe. The sweet whey changes the flavor of the finished cheese. Whey can be reused (in place of water) up to three times in making cottage cheese, resulting in a sweeter cheese with each use. The sweet cheese can be made into sweet dips and sauces for crackers and fruit salads. (Note: If you will get a stronger, less desirable flavor with each batch.)

Uses for Homemade Cheese and Cottage Cheese

Because most homemade cheese made from powdered skim milk have the unique quality of not melting, they are more versatile than commercial dairy products. The important thing to remember is that when heated at high temperatures, they become more firm and tough, so avoid boiling.

Unflavored cheeses: Soups, salads, sandwiches taco filling, stir-fry, omelets, patties, loaves, casseroles, lasagna, on freshly sliced tomatoes, or mixed with one-half commercial cottage or grated cheese.

Flavored cheeses: Chip dips, sandwich fillings, casserole toppings, jerky, mixed with parmesan to use on top of pizza and spaghetti, seasoned with curry powder to use in cracked wheat and rice pilaf.

Flavor-causing enzymes come from bacteria which produce acid and then release enzymes. That bacteria is found in commercial cheese making cultures, but since those cultures are expensive and have a very short shelf life, I eliminate the long culturing process and use an acid to curdle the milk while the milk is heating, often adding buttermilk or other spices and herbs. When I want a different flavor or texture or a cheese that can be aged for one-two months, I use buttermilk, yogurt or acidophilus as cultures.

Drain and rinse cheese made with old, strong milk powder to improve color and flavor. I rinse the cheese first in hot water which seems to take out the strong taste, ten in cold water, which lightens the color and firms the curd.

Cheese colorings can be added to any recipe during the blending process. Dairies, some health food or preparedness stores and mail order catalogs for cheese supplies carry liquid or tablet forms of yellow coloring. Paste coloring can be obtained from stores that carry cake decorating supplies. Ordinary food coloring made for home use is not permanent and will not work as it rinses out during the rinsing and draining process.

Important Helpful Hint: Always spray the inside of a warmed saucepan with lecithin-based spray and re-heat until oil browns before adding milk to the pan.

Rennet Cheese

1 qt hot tap water

1 c. Buttermilk

2 junket rennet tablets dissolved in 1 T. Cold water

2 c. Dry milk powder

2 T. Vegetable oil (opt.)

Blend all ingredients and place in a heavy saucepan coated with a nonstick spray. Let sit undisturbed for 10 minutes. Cut or stir to break into curds and cook over medium heat for five minutes. Pour curds into a strainer, rinse with hot, then cold water, and drain. Salt to taste, then refrigerate. Or, place in a cheesecloth bag and press. This is a very mild cheese, good with salt and chopped chives. Use within 3-4 days.

To make cream cheese from this recipe, reduce rennet to ¼ table and add 1 c. Buttermilk when mixing ingredients. Set in a warm place overnight. After cutting set curds into cubes, place curds over medium heat, and cook five minutes. Pour into a cheesecloth lined colander and let rest 15 minutes. Gather edges of bag, secure with a rubber band and hang, or press until firm like cream cheese. Add salt if desired.

Soft Cottage Cheese

2 c. hot water

1-1/2 c. dry milk powder

3 T. Fresh lemon juice or white vinegar

Blend water and dry milk and pour into saucepan (foam and all).

Sprinkle lemon juice or vinegar slowly around edges and gently stir over medium heat just until milk begins to curdle, separating into curds and whey. Remove from heat and let rest one minute. Pour into strainer or colander, rinse with hot, then cold water. Press out water with back of spoon. Makes about 1-1/2 c. curds. If desired, moisten rinsed curds with a little buttermilk before serving and add salt to taste. Refrigerate if not used immediately. Whey from fresh milk powder can be used in place of water in breads and soups.

Quick Soft Pressed Cheese

2 c. boiling water

1-1/2 c. dry milk powder

3 T. vegetable oil

1 c. buttermilk

3-4 T. fresh lemon juice

cheese coloring tablets (opt.)

Blend water, milk and oil, allowing foam to settle slightly. If colored cheese is desired, add ½ tablet cheese coloring (or cake decorating paste color) while blending. Pour into hot saucepan coated with a nonstick spray and heat to at least 160 degrees. Add lemon juice and continue to stir until mixture curdles.

Pour into a cheesecloth lined colander. Rinse curds with warm water, then salt to taste. Place cheese in cloth between two plates or spoon into a cheese press. Apply weight and let sit for ½ hour or longer, depending on how firm you want the cheese to be. Remove from plates or cheese press, rinse, wrap in plastic and refrigerate. Use within one month or freeze. This cheese can be sliced, grated, or crumbled. For Smoky Cheese, add ½ t. Liquid Smoke flavoring and ½-1 t. salt after rinsing curds.

For additional fast powdered milk cheese recipes, along with recipes for yogurt, sour cream, cream cheese, order your copy of Rita's Powdered Milk Cheeses for only $5.50 (includes postage) by calling toll-free (800) 484-9377, ext. 6276.

Copyright 1998, natural Meals in Minutes. -*

http://www.gentlespirit.com/gs6n02/v6n02c.htm

Those are GREAT recipes Westy. I've made a lot of sour cream, yogurt and cheese in my time but never with powdered milk. Now that we don't have the goats or a milking cow, I'd like to try some of these recipes. Most of these recipes are very similar to ones I've used in the past with regular milk or cream so they are familiar and should be easy to do.

Thanks for the post.

YOGURT RECIPES

Basic Powdered Milk Yogurt

2 cups warm water

1 cup non-instant powedered milk

2 tablespoons yogurt (unflavored)

Pour warm water (100°F) in blender and turn on low speed; add powdered milk slowly. Blend until smooth. Add yogurt and blend a few more seconds. (This whole process can be done by hand, but be sure to beat all the lumps out.) Pour into jars or glasses. Place jars neck-deep in warm (100°F) water. Cover pan with lid. Set on yogurt maker or any place a temperature of 100-120°F can be maintained for 3-4 hours. Check at the end of three hours to see if mixture has set up. If not set up, check each 20 minutes until set. (If not set up in 4 hours, you probably have a failure.) Chill immediately when set up. Keeps in refrigerator up to 1 week.

Evaporated Milk Yogurt Recipe

2 cups tepid water

3 cups instant powdered milk

1-1/2 cups non-instant powdered milk

3 tablespoons yogurt starter

1 quart tepid water

1 large can evaporated milk

Blend or beat 2 cups tepid water with powdered milk and yogurt culture. Pour mixture into a pitcher containing 1 quart tepid water and can of evaporated milk. Stir well and pour into pint jars. Set glasses or jars in pan of warm water; bring water level to rim of jars. Cover pan and maintain temperature of 110-120°F.

Check consistency after 3 hours. Chill immediately after mixture thickens. Will keep approximately 1 week in refrigerator.

Yogurt Cream Cheese

Make cream cheese from yogurt. This is perhaps the simplest cream chees method and the result is tangy and delicious. Simply pour homemade yogurt into a cheese bag and let drain for an hour or two. This drained yogurt can be used in recipes for dips, spreads, sauces and dressings. A thicker consistency than that of ordinary yogurt is obtained by draining of the excess water.

I have goats so I don't need a lot of powdered milk (I can goats milk) but I see reference to

Non-Instant and Instant Powdered Milk... Now I am going to have to pay attention when I go to the store.

I ran across this information

Who Said Powdered Milk Isn't Good?

From USU Extension Service

Use Dry Milk in Any Recipe

Adding additional milk to the recipe will enhance the nutritive value of the recipe. In any recipe calling for milk, simply add the dry milk to other dry ingredients. Sift to blend, then add water for the milk called for in the recipe.

For use in meatloaf, hamburgers, etc., use 1/4 to 1/2 cup per pound of meat.

In mashed potatoes: mash cooked potatoes, then add 1/4 cup dry milk for each cup of potatoes. Use either the water the potatoes were cooked in or fresh milk to give the right consistency.

Cooked cereals: add 1/4 to 1/2 cup dry milk to each cup of cereal before cooking.

Magic Mix

Makes 5 cups Magic Mix

4 cups instant (2 1/3 cups non-instant) dry milk

1 cup flour or 1/2 cup cornstarch

1 cup (2 sticks) margarine

Combine dry milk, flour, and margarine into a large bowl and mix until it looks like cornmeal. Keep mix tightly covered in the refrigerator. This mix can be used in many recipes to make food preparation easy and economical. Try a few of the following recipes.

Cream Soup

4 cups water

2 cups Magic Mix

1 cube or 1 tsp. bouillon granules

Add one or more of the following:

3 cooked carrots, mashed

3 potatoes, cooked and chopped and 1 Tbs. chopped onion

1 can chopped clams

1 package chopped spinach, cooked

1 can cream-style corn and 1 Tbs. chopped onion

Combine water, Magic Mix, and bouillon in saucepan. Stir over medium heat until slightly thick. Add desired ingredients. Heat thoroughly.

White Sauce

Makes 1 cup

2/3 cup Magic Mix

1 c water

In saucepan combine Magic Mix and water. Stir rapidly over medium heat until it starts to bubble.

Pudding

Makes 4 half-cup servings

1/2 cup sugar

2-3 Tbs. cocoa (optional)

1 cup Magic Mix

2 cups water

1 tsp. vanilla

Combine Magic Mix, sugar, and cocoa in saucepan and mix well. Add water, stir over medium heat until pudding bubbles. Add vanilla and beat. Cover and cool.

Whipped Topping

6 Tbs instant (3 1/2 non-instant) dry milk

1 cup boiling water

2 Tbs cold water

1 tsp vanilla

2 tsp. unflavored gelatin

2-4 Tbs sugar

Dissolve the milk in the cup of water and scald. Soak the gelatin in cold water. Combine the scalded milk, dissolved gelatin, and sugar. Stir

and chill in the refrigerator until it jells. Now beat the mixture until it acquires the consistency of whipped cream. Add the vanilla and whip

again.

Whipped Topping 2

1 cup ice cold water

1 cup powdered sugar

1 cup powdered milk

Whip at high speed until desired consistency is achieved. Store in refrigerator.

Sweetened Condensed Milk

Makes about 14 ounces

3/4 cup non-instant (1 1/3 cup instant) dry milk

3/4 cup sugar

1/2 cup hot tap water

Place hot water in blender. With blender going add sugar and dry milk, blend until smooth.

Cocoa Mix

Makes enough for 10 quarts or 40 one-cup servings

15 cups instant dry milk

1 cup cocoa

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 1/2 tsp. salt.

Mix well. To use: Mix 1/2 cup mix with 1 cup hot water.

Rich Cocoa Mix

Makes enough for 8 quarts

10 2/3 cups instant dry milk

1 pound can instant chocolate

1 jar (6 oz.) instant coffee creamer

1/2 cup powdered sugar

Mix well. To use: Mix 1/2 cup mix with 1 cup hot water.

Peanut Butter Chews

1 cup powdered sugar

1 cup peanut butter

2 cups instant (1 cup non-instant) dry milk

1 cup corn syrup or honey

Mix powdered sugar and powdered milk thoroughly. Add peanut butter and syrup mixture. You may need to knead it with your hands. Press into a cake pan or roll into walnut size balls.

Variations: Add nuts or Rice Krispies. Dip in chocolate.

Sorry Grubby, I didn't see your request for my recipe. Here it is!

Hot Chocolate Mix

8 quart box powdered milk

6 oz. powdered cream (like Coffee Mate but I use the cheaper store brand)

1 lb. can of Nestles Quik

2 cups powdered sugar

Mix well. Store in container, I use a 5 gal. ice cream bucket. Fill cup about 1/3 full of mix, add hot water, stir and drink.

We almost never reconstitute dry milk to drink. I do slip it into all sorts of things that I cook though. Bread of all sorts, oatmeal, grits, mashed potatoes, casseroles, that sort of thing. No particular recipes, I simply slip it in where I can. Sort of takes the sting out of when the child only wants to eat mashed potatoes for her supper...

We use it for making yogurt as well. I typically mix the milk powder at about twice the amount recommended for reconstituting it. I also culture between 102-122 degs F as I think it improves the set.

.....Alan.

• 1 month later...

Ladies: We need all these in one spot, I just re-started the Oldpine sourdough bakery tonight, and after reading some of these uses for dried milk the dairy may start operation soon.

Oh Boy Oldpine, if you are starting one, then I won't start mine. Do you do mail orders??? I'll put my order in for a loaf of sourdough per week..... :happy0203:

As I told Grubby in the Friendship bread thread, I will be starting my sourdough starter and the friendship starter on Saturday. Gotta get my new glass jar sterilized. I bought potatoes and will try the potato water starter and see how that works. Haven't tried that one yet. I just have to remember to always use bottled water with the additions. The tap water here makes the batch go bad after a couple of weeks. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Whipped Non-Fat Dry Milk

1/2c cold water

2 tbsp lemon juice

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 c non-fat dry milk

1/4 c granulated sugar

Place water, lemon juice and vanilla in a 1 quart bowl. Sprinkle dry milk over top of water. Beat with electric mixer 4 minutes or with a rotary beater 8 minutes until stiff. Gradually beat in sugar until it dissolves and mixture is smooth and creamy. Chill 30 minutes before using.

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest

Powdered Milk

Thanks to the good old folks at Waltonfeed.com, we now know how powdered milk is created.

The process of making powdered milk is an interesting operation. Milk comes from dairy farms scattered across the countryside. Each morning, large tank trucks stop at each dairy farm and collect the milk that has accumulated over the past day. Then it is transported to the creamery.

Once it gets here to the creamery, it's run through a filter and put into a holding tank. As it waits it's turn to go through the first stage of processing, it's run through a battery of tests to insure it meets quality standards.

Milk first passes into the evaporator where about a third of it's water is removed. The evaporator consists of 3 colandrais, together being about 4 feet in diameter and 6 stories tall. The evaporator has a partial vacuum put on it, lowering the boiling point to about 135 degrees F. This is important for two reasons. First, it makes it possible for the water in the milk to be evaporated at a low enough temperature that it won't damage the milk. And second, it reduces costs a substantial amount. Fresh, raw milk contains about 12% solids if you include the butterfat. During the evaporation process, water in the milk is removed until the solids increase to 50%.

During the evaporation process the milk is pasteurized. The pasteurization process reduces the bacteria content without heating the milk to the point that it is damaged. If you tried to heat the milk at home in a pan hot enough to accomplish this, you'd scorch the milk. In a creamery, the milk is ran through small tubes where it's heated up to the desired temperature of 175 degrees F for just 20 seconds then it is immediately force-cooled to prevent the milk from getting damaged.

Separating the Milk: From evaporator the milk runs through the separator which removes the cream or butterfat. The butterfat is placed in a separate storage tank to be used later. The skim milk now moves to the tanks where standardizing takes place.

Standardizing the Milk: After the milk has been separated, it is then standardized which means the different components of the milk are mixed automatically until we have a consistent product. Every batch must be exactly the same. For example, in our whole milk operation, the milk must contain 8.8% solids and 3.4% butterfat which comes to 12.2% total solids. Depending on the seasons of the year and other environmental conditions, these levels fluctuate in raw milk directly from the dairies. If the solids are below 8.8%, we condense until the desired milk solid percentage is reached. Then we add 3.4% butterfat. When the customer purchases a gallon of whole milk, it's constituents will be exactly like every other jug of whole milk we produce. If we are making 2% or 1% milk, then only this amount of butterfat is added to the milk before packaging. During the standardization process, even some of the vitamins in the milk are checked to insure they meet our standards. This way the customer is assured of a wholesome, healthy product that never changes.

The remaining evaporated, condensed milk is turned into powdered milk. Depending on our customer's needs, we standardize this milk with butterfat levels ranging from less than 1% all the way up to 30% fat. Most of the milk powder we make, however is either non-fat milk or whole milk powder which contains 0% to 28.5% butterfat after it's been reconstituted. It is impossible to see the difference between these two powders with the naked eye. But there is a huge difference in the taste. After the condensed milk has been standardized, it's next stop is the drying tower.

Turning The Condensed Milk Into Milk Powder: Two types of drying are the spray nozzle and the newer atomization system. There are still many spray dryers in operation today. These dryer towers or dryers are 22 foot diameter cans that rise 12 stories into the air. In the top of the column are four spray nozzles that spray a fine mist of condensed milk into 400 degree F. swirling air. As the milk droplets fall, the swirling air quickly removes the water out of the droplets of milk until all that's left is a small particle of milk powder not much larger than a speck of dust. As it falls, the air cools to about 250 degrees F until it settles into the funnel shaped hopper in the bottom of the tower where it's removed. The operators can carefully control the moisture level of the finished product by controlling the swirling air in the tower.

Here at Humboldt we use the newer two stage compact dryer. Instead of using nozzles spraying the milk like you find in the spray tower, atomizing wheel turning at an extremely high speed atomizes the milk. This finely atomizes the milk into much finer droplets than you can get from a spray nozzle. Although our compact dryer has about the same diameter as a spray drying tower at about 20 feet, it's only 3 stories high, 1/4 as high as a spray tower. This dryer is called a NIRO 'Compact' Drying system because even though it's 3 stories high, it's still compact compared to a spray drying tower. Because the droplets in a atomizing wheel are so much smaller, they dry much more quickly in a compact dryer. In a compact dryer the dry milk falls on a 'fluidizing bed.' To the lay person this term can be misleading as there's no water, or any other liquid involved. It's called a fluidizing bed because it's constantly shaking or vibrating and the milk powder laying on it is in a constant 'fluid' motion or stirring. At this point any additives the customer wants are added to the agitating milk powder. Common additives are vitamins, minerals, lecithin or lactose as well as other compounds. The continual stirring action of the fluid bed finely mixes these additives into the milk powder. At this stage, we have regular, dehydrated milk powder.

Turning Regular Powdered Milk Into Instant Powered Milk: It's also in the drying tower where regular milk is turned into instant milk. This can be done 'on the fly.' First, not more than 0.2% lecithin is sprayed on the finer, dry milk particles that have been sifted out of the rest of the milk. The lecithin makes the powdered milk dissolve better. It's then moved back to the top of the drying tower and fed into the top of the tower near the spot where the atomizer is breaking up the condensed milk into microscopic droplets. As the dry and wet particles are mixed together, the wet particles stick to the dry particles and at the same time form air pockets. This larger particle dries as it falls down through the swirling air. This process gives you a much lighter product that is much more easily penetrated by water. Nutritionally, there's very little difference between instant and regular powdered milk. It's virtually the same product except the instant milk powder is less dense and mixes more easily in water. Although Lecithin is a very healthy food, there hasn't been enough added to the instant milk to show any differences in the nutritional data tables between the two. Concerning flavor, you shouldn't be able to tell the difference between them, either.

The last step in the process is to package it and send it to the customer. We send powdered milk to Walton Feed in plastic lined 50 lb bags. Then they repackage it for long term storage.

Of the 30 million pounds of powdered milk we make each year, between 1/2 and 2/3rds of it is sold overseas. Many third world countries have neither a strong dairy base or transportation or processing capabilities to meet their population's needs for liquid milk. In addition to this, many of the homes in these countries have no refrigerators like you and I have. Powdered milk is the perfect alternative for them. Much of our whole, powdered milk with the added fat that doesn't go to the confectionery business here in the United States, goes to these third world countries. Because of the fat content in whole powdered milk, it's shelf life is limited. It's life span is only 6 to 9 months in 75 degree F temperatures. After this the fats start going rancid. This is why Walton Feed, which sells products for long term storage doesn't pack whole powdered milk. While on the other hand, our non-fat powdered milk will store for two years under the same conditions, packed in plastic lined, paper bags stored in temperatures between 70 and 90 degrees F. A company like Walton Feed that puts non-fat powdered milk in air-tight containers then uses oxygen absorbers to remove the oxygen extends the storage life two or three times. And it will keep even longer if it's stored in a cool place at 60 degrees F or less.

The Humboldt Creamery has stringent quality and control both internally and externally. We have our own rigid inspection and control programs. Externally, we are also frequently inspected by the USDA, the state of California, FDA and also the Interstate Milk Shippers (IMS) as we are an international sales company with our milk being consumed all over the world. You can rest assured that the products you get from us meet the very highest standards of quality and cleanliness. We are proud of our national and international reputation in the market place. Bringing you the best products obtainable brings us here at Humboldt Creamery a strong feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment.

http://www.freakycowbot.com/alwaysloafing/ramble9.php (NO LONGER WORKS)

• 3 years later...

Archived