MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Top Ramen Noodles

Guest Guest

Here is an inexpensive item to store, Top Ramen Noodles! my kids loved them NOT cooked! so I stored them by the case. They do require water to prepare, but still at $0.08 cents to $0.10 cents each, they are worth at least cosidering.

Take a look at some recipes for Top Ramen

http://www.konzak.com/ramen/plants.html

If anyone has recipes please post them.

There's a lot of variability to ramen noodles. Some folks say they've had them keep for years, other have said they've gone over in a year, some say the flavor packets go bad, others say they've never had one go bad even after years of storage.

Your best bet is to closely examine the ingredients list and the nutritional panel that should be on each package. If there is a significant fat content, especially if there are no preservatives listed, then chances are they're not going to keep well. Lowering the temperature of the storage area will help though.

Ramen noodles are cheap which is as it should be because reading the nutritional panel will show you there ain't much to them.

.....Alan.

The way to make these packages more nutritious is to cook some dried veg and then add the noodles and the flavor packet.

Also if the flavor packet has a pin hole in it, it will not spoil quickly.

Good to see you Alan.

The ramen noodles offtaste you experienced was probably caused by the noodles themselves absorbing odors in the close proximity to them....keeping them in an air tight container will help.

• 3 months later...
Guest Guest

Re: adding your own dried vegetables, I found a jar of dried vegetables near the fresh vegetables section of my market. There is a free standing unit of same label jars (& size/shape) with different spices in them and one of them is the dried veggies (carrots/onions/green pepper/red pepper/parsley at least). I love to add this to ramen stuff, or soups, or other places where I want a little extra color and veggies. For omlettes, I hydrate them in a little warm water first, and them throw them on the omlette or scrambled eggs at the appropriate time. If I ever get my dehydrator down from storage, I'd make my own, but this is a good substitute for homemade. I've also hydrated them and put them in my yakasoba noodles when I did not have fresh or frozen available. Yum.

If the noodles are okay and the spice containers is bad, just cook them and add some spaggetti sauce to cover the cooked noodles...or a can of tomato soup and some parmesean/romano cheese (tastes like spaggettios). They are also great added to vege soup...just break up the noodles a bit (they will cook during the time it takes to heat the soup). You can also make a quick mac & cheese with them. Just add a little cheese whiz to the hot cooked noodles...you may need to add a little milk (or make the cheese from dehydrated cheese). I buy them a case at a time and keep them with only dry food products and I have never had a pack go bad on me...so I don't have a clue what went wrong. I quess that everyone knows you can make a decent egg drop soup with ramean (korean spelling). You just add a beaten egg to the cooked noodles and seasoned broth...stir to cook and eat. You can also drain the noodles add the egg and a touch of butter and scramble them. We have been eating them since the only place you could buy them was the oriental import store more than 30 years ago (when my korean sil got here). The Korean ones are round and hot & spicy...not much like the ones you buy in the grocery store, but good too...we eat them both.

• 2 weeks later...

Michael LOVES THEM !

However when making them up he uses only about half a packet (too much salt) to a bag of noodles. Frugal boy puts rest in a jar - uses this when cooking homemade noodles for lunch or spicing up some soup. in summer time just go out to the garden and pick snow peas, baby carrots, onions,chive or whatever you like and put in while cooking then add packet at the end. Winter time he uses leftovers- add cut-up chicken,vegetables or open frig. and start dumping it what you find.

*For breakfest cook chicken Ramen Noodles,add spice pack,let most of the water get absorbed while you scramble some eggs and add that. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good!

• 2 years later...

Archived