MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pinto beans

Ok, I've got the red beans I'm making up with rice and sausage tonight, but I just cooked up a pot of pintos. Some I made refried beans with and some I left whole with the juice....um.....NOW what do I do with them? Both the whole and mashed? I have some flour tortillas and I'm going to try and pat out some corn ones. I'm trying to learn NOW what things I can make if things get grim. Normally if I made burritos I'd use sour cream and lettuce. 'm thinking what would I do if I had no power? I know I can make sour cream with powdered milk but I use buttermilk to start it so i still need the fridge. if all I have is beans and tortilla, how do I season the beans so it all tastes good? Thanks for reading all my bean questions Canada doesn't really "do" beans (except maybe baked beans wich we don't like at all) so I have no "cultural knowledge" here as to how to eat them LOL.

Ok, thanks grubby, I'll spice up the refried and make burritos for lunch today. As for eating the whole beans straite though noone here likes beans strate at all! LOL. would pintos work in chili? Anyone have a soup recipe that uses cooked beans?

Hi! You can dry the cooked Pinto beans - mashed, spread on dryer trays, wish I could give you times, but the thinner you spread them the quicker they dry - use sheets on trays for this or alternatively use plastic wrap, just don't cover the entire tray - leave the edges open at least an inch. These re-hydrate beautifully for dips, or just refried Beans. Good luck!

Here are two recipes I enjoy:

web page I don't care for lentils or split peas, so I played mix-n-match with the beans and just used a total of 1.25 cups of varieties that I like. I also think it could use more barley.

and

web page

- I added a bunch of sliced green pepper to this one and it's really nummy!

My kids LOVE this one:

Pizza Beans

1 lb. pinto beans (or navy beans/small white)

6 cups water

1 onion, chopped

1 cup tomato sauce

1 clove garlic, crushed

2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. oregano leaves

1/4 tsp. rosemary

1 c. shredded mozzarella

1/4. Grated Romano, Parmesan or asiago cheese

Soak beans in water in crock-pot overnight. Cook on high for 2-3 hours, until tender but not mushy. Drain, saving liquid. Add onion, tomato sauce, garlic, salt, oregano and rosemary to drained beans in crock-pot, plus 2 cups of that drained liquid. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. Serve with grated cheeses. Serve with or over garlic toast.

Options: Add 1/4 c. chopped bell pepper before cooking beans on low.

Quote:
I didn't give amounts becuase you will have different
amounts and you will want to adjust the chili and hot
sauce to your liking.

You'd be really surprised... someone brand new won't know the difference between a couple tablespoons and a couple cups! A general guideline is great to include.

(As someone constantly answering newbie questions on a completely different topic.)

Kelly

Hee hee right on that! Someone once told me adding vinegar to a marinade made the meat tender. They didn't mention only a tbsp so I added a cup!!!!! Tha was 4 years ago and dh STILL teases me about the "pickled steak" LOL

Quote:
Quote:
I didn't give amounts becuase you will have different
amounts and you will want to adjust the chili and hot
sauce to your liking.

You'd be really surprised... someone brand new won't know the difference between a couple tablespoons and a couple cups! A general guideline is great to include.

(As someone constantly answering newbie questions on a completely different topic.)

Kelly

I really mean this on this one!

in a crockpot put a small ham hock. add 1 pound of beans. add spices. cook over night on high. enough water to cover everything. let the beans cook down so not as soupy. and that will evaporate the water and break the beans down. take out the ham hock and take the meat off the bone and put back in the beans. serve with cornbread. can add a little honey to the beans in your bowl. not the crockpot. enjoy.

I like to use pinto beans in a one dish casserole which goes as follows:

1 can of corn (drained)(or use 1 cup of frozen corn or dehydrated sweetcorn reconstituted with water)

1 can (or jar of home canned) of diced tomatoes (undrained)

2 cups of cooked rice (left overs or cook this ahead)

1 can (or pint jar of home canned) tomato sauce (or use tomato powder reconstituted with water)

Chili Powder to taste

Beef bouillon to taste

1 Tablespoon of dried onion flakes

Simmer in a large pan on the stove until heated through and the seasonings have had a chance to blend with the food. Serve with shredded cheese (if you have it).

This is also very good with browned ground beef added to it - but it is not necessary.

As to sour cream in an emergency. You can get #10 cans of powdered sour cream that when reconstituted is a fairly good stand in for fresh sour cream. I still prefer the fresh - but have acquired an appreciation for the powdered variety and KNOW that I will appreciate if in a SHTF situation and I am eating alot of tortillas, rice, and beans.

Hi HSmom!

Thanks for the Pizza Bean recipe. I read it last night around midnight and ran downstairs and put 4 lbs. of white bean in to soak. I made four batches of these and we had half for dinner tonight and I froze the rest. My chicks loved them! I made pine nut bread and a Greek salad to go with them.

don't know what jewlzm recipe is but here is one i use.

Taco soup

beans, tomatoe sauce ,tomatoes diced,taco sesoning, ground meat,onion,corn, brown meat drain add onion taco seasoning corn tomatoe sauce tomatoes and beans let simmer about 1/2 hour serve top with sour cream, grated cheese,and fritos or other corn chips, original recipe i got called for 1 lb meat ,1 onion, 1 can each tomatoes,tomatoe sauce,corn, beans and 1 pkg taco seasoning i use larger amounts usually qaurt jars of each and have found when using store bought the mexican diced tomatoes add a little extra flavor

I found you another recipe for pinto beans.

I got another cookbook over the weekend and I found

this....

Pinto Bean Pie

1 pound ground beef

1 onion, chopped

2 (16 oz)cans pinto beans with liquid

1 (10 oz)can tomatoes and green chilies with liquid

1 (6 oz) can french-fried onion rings

1. In a skillet, brown beef and onions and drain.

2. In a 2-quart casserole dish, layer 1 can beans,

beef/onion mixture and one-half can tomatoes.

3. Repeat.

4. Top with onion rings and bake, uncovered at 350

degrees for 30 minutes.

Archived