MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

bone weary food

Came home the other night literally whipped with exhausting but knew we needed to eat...so we had eggs and rice.

Sounds odd but is very good and low on effort. Boil rice while sunnyside up the eggs. We put a little garlic and onion powder (just a hint) to the rice, salt 7 pepper to the eggs and you can eat them seperate on the plate or mixed together. Eggs for protein, rice because it expands and fills you up.

Do you have bone weary meals? I mean anyone can pop a micro-meal in, I mean mix and heat stuff?

Grilled cheese sandwiches is another. I've had cereal and milk with fruit for dinner...LOL.

anyone have that barely able to crawl through the door meal?

and i'm open to suggestions .

thanks,

cookie

CROCK POT!!!

Buy one, or get it out and dust it off and USE it...

Nothing easier, dump the stuff in, turn it on; and when you're ready to eat after work, just dish it up.

I really don't have any pre-planned meals like that, although I DO fix quick meals sometimes, when I'm just too tired (or lazy or stressed out) to fix a big meal.

I do a big cooking, once a week. I cook about 5 or 6 pounds of hamburger and freeze it in 1 lb bags, 5 lbs of potatoes in their skins, 4 cups of dry rice, maybe a roast or a couple of chickens (portioned into meal-size packs and frozen), and a lb or 2 of dried beans (some left in the fridge, some frozen in 2 c. portions). In addition, I prep some raw vegies - a few chopped onions, a chopped bell pepper or two, a bunch of celery, perhaps a head of cabbage, shredded or chopped, and a couple of pounds of shredded cheese. With those ingredients, along with staples, such as flour, sugar, dry mixes (homemade), eggs, milk (liquid or dry), canned foods, butter, and herbs & spices, I am able to quickly prepare quite a number of meals, with little time or effort. In fact, that's how I usually cook.

I DO have one really fast meal, that everyone seems to like - I mix a can of tomato juice with a can or two of evaporated milk, salt, and pepper and heat it up. 'Instant' cream of tomato soup! Throw in some crackers and you've got a meal.

Oh, and there's stove-top mac and cheese - cook noodles in just enough milk to cover them, adding more, if necessary (mixture should be THICK). Once the noodles are cooked, stir in some cheese, salt and pepper, and anything else you might like, such as leftover chili, chopped hot dogs, cooked hamburger, mushrooms, etc, but it's good with just the cheese.

I guess I DO have a few fast recipes...

Omelet or omelet puff. Crack enough eggs in a bowl for your family (2-3 per person) add a couple of splashes of milk and whisk. Start heating pan with oil and a dab of butter.

Raid fridge for hot dogs or any kind of leftover meats chopped into bits, thin sliced or shredded cheese, chopped onions, chopped celery, sweet peppers any color, tomatoes, potatoes -- you know the drill.

If celery, onions or peppers are raw, dump into pan and start saute. Add meat, potatoes, tomatoes to heat through. Pour egg mixture over and add your favorite spices and/or herbs and let it cook. Either form into folded omlet, or just put a lid on the pan and lower temperature and cook till center is solid (puffed). Put cheese in the fold of omelet or over the top of the puff. I serve it with salsa, slices of avocado, or a salad if I feel like making one.

This is also good in the summer when you don't want a heavy meal, adjust the meat accordingly. I use crab or mock crab sometimes.

My husband likes one of my experiments and asks for it fairly often: I made the omlet (without meat), and when I folded it, I put cold krab salad (premade from the market) into the fold with slices of sharp cheddar on top.

Note: If my pan is too hot, a brown 'skin' forms on the bottom, so I usually just cut it off and feed it to the dogs.

Second fast option:

Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.

If I want to be fancy I use 2-3 different cheeses layered in the bread and carefully turned twice to heat through. That is a hint from my neighbor's husband who loves three-cheese grilled sandwiches. I use my two burner griddle on one side of my stove and can make several at a time while the soup is heating up.

Creamed tuna, chicken, hambuger, sausage, etc on toast or Baking powder biscuits. In fact, Baking Powder biscuits can be a whole meal. Some form of gravy and veggies over them for main dish, sides of hot biscuits smothered with butter and jam, and some sort of hot fruit sauce over them for desert. This was our kids favorite meal and it's fast and easy and filling.

Bake some large Russet potatoes. Brown a lb. or two of ground beef. Drain it and add some store bought alfredo sauce..Heat the meat and sauce, stir in some frozen broccoli and cheddar cheese. You can add whatever spices you like or onion and garlic. Spoon this over baked pots. and sprinkle with more cheddar cheese and parm. cheese....This is one of the meals on my chicks "top 10 list."

Mix some softened butter, with some grated parmesan cheese. Spread this on one side of sliced French Bread, two slices for each sandwich. Fill the sandwiches with sliced provolone cheese and grill them. Dip the sandwiches in marinara sauce.

My husband calls it V8 soup. I pour a whole bunch of veggie juice (sometimes it actually is V8) in a pot and throw in whatever leftover veggies I have and whatever spices suit me that day. Heat it through and it's great over rice or with bread and a quick salad.

Plus, DH is not a veggie person, but he likes this and it's chock full of veggies!

Open a home-canned jar of beef stew. Serve with saltines or bread, and some fruit (fresh or - you guessed: home-canned!)

OR

Open a home-canned jar of pizza beans. Serve with frozen mozzarella cheese & bread.

OR

Open a home-canned jar of chili & serve with microwave baked potatoes

OR

Open a home-canned jar of spaghetti sauce & boil some noodles.

This one's called "Hungry Jack". No clue why.

Brown 1lb hamburger, drain. In medium bowl dump hamburger, a can of pork-n-beans, sprinkle some onion flakes, and add BBQ sauce to taste. About a half cup of grated cheddar on top, in 350 oven about 15 minutes. We serve with biscuits.

Brown 1lb ground beef with a smidgen of garlic, drain. Put back in pan with about 1 1/2 cups water, the flavor packet from a pkg of beef ramen noodles, and a cup or so of chopped broccoli or fresh peas. Break up the ramen noodles into small chuncks and toss in. Stir around as noodles soften. You may or may not have to add water in small amounts until the noodles are cooked.

Boil noodles

mix in sauce (home canned or store bought *wink to my canners*)

mix in stray meat- ham works real good specially cold cuts torn up or hamburger or canned chicken,

pour into a bake dish, put in oven 350

bake 15 to 20 minutes.

thick and hearty-and you can doze for 15 minutes! LOL

my kids LOVE kraft dinner in tomato soup. i cook the kd, and while that is cooking, i microwave the soup,and dump it all in. it is best served with grated cheese on top. (i like to line the bowl with cheese too, the hot soup melts it,and tastes so yummi!)

MACARONI & EGGS

Cook enough macaroni for your family. Scramble enough eggs for your family plus two or three. Add some oil and butter to a skillet and toss in the noodles an add the eggs. Stir until the eggs are set. Don't forget the salt & pepper. Great with stewed tomatoes.

CORN BREAD WITH BROCCOLLI SAUCE

Cube up some spam or leftover ham and add to your favorite corn bread. Bake according to your normal directions. Prepared your favorite broccolli with cheese sauce. Split the corn bread and serve with broccolli and cheese sauce.

ALMOST INSTANT CHICKEN CORN NOODLE SOUP

1 can chicken

2 double boxes instant chicken noodle soup

2 cans of corn

1 can of cubed potatoes

6 hard boiled eggs, chopped

Prepare instant soup as directed on box. Drain potatoes and add. Add corn, undrained. When everything is cooked, add chopped hard boiled eggs and serve.

1. Grilled tuna sandwiches and tomato soup.

2. Omelettes (3egg whites and one yolk)filled with whatever's on hand and toast. In the winter add a cup of homemade instant hot chocolate an you're set to go.

3. Scrambled eggs w/ham, bacon, weiners, whatevers on hand.

4. Open a jar of canned pork or beef, warm it up and have hot sandwiches with a jar of potatoes opened and browned in a little butter.

5. Or if I'm too tired to do any of those, which happens once in awhile, it's a simple PB&J sandwich, a bowl of cereal or if you want more than that FIX IT YOURSELF.

One of our favorites is melting butter, however much you want, in a skillet and dump in a cup or more of rice and brown, stir so it doesnt stick or burn. When its brown open a bag of frozen veggies or can of mixed veggies and a home-canned jar of chicken, juice and all and dump in the skillet and cover with a lid. You may have to add a little water and seasonings to taste but in about half hour its a hearty meal and very filling.

In my house we have a "skip-it " night. That means Mom skipped cooking. We usually do this the night before grocery

shopping. Everyone can have what ever they want for supper with only two rules, they have to include at least one leftover from the fridge. And I don't have to cook it!!

Here is one we do and it is ready to go in maybe 10 minutes or less. . . . . . .

* Now sometimes we use canned meat and minute rice if we are just plan HUNGRY and need food fast ! and it is what we call a 'stick to your ribs' and 'warm you up' meal. spice it up as much as you want.

HOMESTEADERS FAST BEEFY SPANISH RICE

for a fast meal all in one pot and good tasting too !

Ingredients:

1 pound ground beef

1 cup cooked rice

1 medium onion (chopped)

1 small green pepper (chopped)

1 cup corn

1/2 cup ketchup

1 (6 ounce) can tomato sauce

salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste

Directions:

1) In a large saucepan cook ground beef in oil until done.

2) Add the onion and pepper and cook for a few minutes.

3) Add the corn, rice, ketchup, tomato sauce and spices.

4) Cover and cook on medium until hot, stirring every

now and then.

5) Serve hot with some bread and butter

come in the house.. head to the kitchen....

Rosemary Pasta

Put water on to boil for pasta...

in a microwavable cup put in butter and rosemary... put microwave on warm for 5 minutes.

take shower and change clothes....

put pasta in water and cook. Drain Pasta

Pour rosemary infused butter over pasta, toss.

sprinkle with Parmasan cheese.

Add italian sausage on the side, perhaps a salad and a glass of red wine! a little garlic bread and candles.

rule of thumb... 1 pound pasta to 1/2 - 1 cube butter to 1 tablespoon rosemary (dry) 1 teaspoon+ fresh. The more you put of course the stronger it gets. You can use olive oil but butter is better!

This makes a great meal when you have company.. easy to prepare and can be made up ahead of time and heated.

If you have fresh rosemary.. place a fresh sprig near the edge of the bowl on top of the pasta.. if it is blooming, sprinkle fresh flowers on top. Cooking welts the flowers and they are so pretty on top..yes they are edible.

Selahmoon, your dinner sounds yummy. Have you ever tried it with canned vegetables, rather than frozen? Seems it would add the moisture the rice needs... although I'm not sure which vegetables... maybe a home-canned (had to slip that in wink ) vegetable medley.

Archived