* 1/2 onion, cut into wedges

* 3 cloves garlic, peeled

* 1 egg

* 1 tablespoon chili powder

* 1 tablespoon cumin

* 1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce or hot sauce

* 1/2 cup bread crumbs

DIRECTIONS

1. If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.

2. In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.

3. In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.

4. In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.

5. Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.

6. If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.

User comments

doubled the recipe and added 1/2 cup cooked brown rice with the breadcrumb step to give the burgers a little more fill and structure.

used rolled oats instead of bread crumbs. blended everything in the food processor, beginning with onions, peppers, and garlic, then oats, then eggs and spices, beans last. I chilled the mixture, then rolled (more like poured -- think thick muffin batter) onto waxed paper. I froze the burgers. To grill, I oiled some foil that I folded over burger.

add 50% more bread crumbs, it will hold much better. Also,

used 2 eggs, 1 cup of bread crumbs, and only 1 teaspoon of cumin.

Used garlic powder instead of garlic

Herbed Rice and Spicy Black Bean Salad

INGREDIENTS

* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil

* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme

* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

* 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

* 2 cups cold, cooked white rice

* 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained

* 2 celery stalks, finely chopped

* 1 (4 ounce) can chopped black olives

* 3 green onions, chopped

* 1/4 cup red wine vinegar

* 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

DIRECTIONS

1. Make a seasoning by mixing together the basil, thyme, parsley, cilantro, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder in a bowl.

2. Gently mix together the rice, black beans, celery, olives, and green onions in a large bowl. Season the rice mixture with 1 teaspoon of the seasoning.

3. Make a dressing by whisking the vinegar and olive oil with the seasoning; allow to rest for 10 minutes. Pour the dressing over the rice mixture; stir to combine.

Fantastic Black Bean Chili

INGREDIENTS

* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

* 1 onion, diced

* 2 cloves garlic, minced

* 1 pound ground turkey

* 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, undrained

* 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes

* 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder

* 1 tablespoon dried oregano

* 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves

* 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

DIRECTIONS

1. Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat; cook onion and garlic until onions are translucent. Add turkey and cook, stirring, until meat is brown. Stir in beans, tomatoes, chili powder, oregano, basil and vinegar. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 60 minutes or more, until flavors are well blended.

User comments

This is a great base recipe that you can easily change to suit your own tastes! Delicious with corn bread!!

1/2 T. cumin and some jalepenos and increased the crushed tomatoes to 28 oz

crock pot on low for 4.5 hours

cut the meat in half and add extra black beans and or kidney beans

substituted 1 can of beans for a can of corn if you don’t like too many beans

I looked for a recipe that is geared for more of what we would have stored...

Black Bean Brownies

NGREDIENTS

* 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained

* 3 eggs

* 3 tablespoons vegetable oil

* 1/4 cup cocoa powder

* 1 pinch salt

* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

* 3/4 cup white sugar

* 1 teaspoon instant coffee (optional)

* 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips (optional)

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8x8 square baking dish.

2. Combine the black beans, eggs, oil, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla extract, sugar, and instant coffee in a blender; blend until smooth; pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top of the mixture.

3. Bake in the preheated oven until the top is dry and the edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 30 minutes.

*user comments

adding about a teaspoon of baking powder gives a little more cake-like brownie if you prefer that texture. I left out the coffee and I cannot taste any black bean flavor.

adding these to see what other recipes contain and for those gluten allergic as well as diabetic.

Black Bean Brownies

Guiltless high-fiber, high-protein brownies.

Ingredients

15oz can black beans (drained & rinsed well)

4 large eggs

1/2 cup granulated Splenda

3 tbsp cocoa powder

2 tbsp strong coffee (or 1 tbsp instant coffee dissolved in 1 tbsp hot water)

1 tsp baking powder

2 tbsp canola or olive oil

1 tsp vanilla

Directions

Preheat oven to 350*F.

Prepare an 8x8 baking pan by spraying it with cooking spray.

Mix all ingredients in a food processor or blender.

Add the beans last and make sure you blend VERY well.

Bake for 30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool before slicing.

Brownies are approx. 2"x2" in size.

Number of Servings: 16

Nutritional Info

* Servings Per Recipe: 16

* Amount Per Serving

* Calories: 79.2

* Total Fat: 3.4 g

* Cholesterol: 53.1 mg

* Sodium: 45.5 mg

* Total Carbs: 9.0 g

* Dietary Fiber: 2.5 g

 Protein: 4.2 g

Black Bean Brownies

Desserts Low Carb Dessert

Submitted by KBARGER99

35 Minutes to Prepare and Cook

Ingredients

4 oz. unsweetened chocolate

1 cup unsalted butter

2 cups soft cooked black beans, drained well (canned will work fine)

1 cup walnuts, chopped

1 Tbs. vanilla extract

1/4 cup (granulated) natural coffee substitute (or instant coffee for gluten sensitive)

1/4 tsp. sea salt

4 large eggs

1 1/2 cups splenda (or light agave nector)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line an 11- by 18-inch (rimmed) baking pan (hs note: or jellyroll pan) with parchment paper and lightly oil with canola oil spray.

Melt the chocolate and butter in a glass bowl in the microwave for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on high. Stir with a spoon to melt the chocolate completely. Place the beans, 1/2 cup of the walnuts, the vanilla extract, and a couple of spoonfuls of the melted chocolate mixture into the bowl of a food processor. Blend about 2 minutes, or until smooth. The batter should be thick and the beans smooth. Set aside.

In a large bowl, mix together the remaining 1/2 cup walnuts, remaining melted chocolate mixture, coffee substitute, and salt. Mix well and set aside.

In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer beat the eggs until light and creamy, about 1 minute. Add the splenda and beat well. Set aside.

Add the bean/chocolate mixture to the coffee/chocolate mixture. Stir until blended well.

Add the egg mixture, reserving about 1/2 cup. Mix well. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Using an electric mixer, beat the remaining 1/2 cup egg mixture until light and fluffy. Drizzle over the brownie batter. Use a wooden toothpick to pull the egg mixture through the batter, creating a marbled effect. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the brownies are set. Let cool in the pan completely before cutting into squares. (They will be soft until refrigerated.)

Makes 45 (2-inch) brownies.

Number of Servings: 45

Nutritional Info

* Servings Per Recipe: 45

* Amount Per Serving

* Calories: 83.8

* Total Fat: 7.6 g

* Cholesterol: 29.9 mg

* Sodium: 19.8 mg

* Total Carbs: 4.6 g

* Dietary Fiber: 1.3 g

 Protein: 2.0 g

Black Bean Brownies

Ingredients

# 1 (15 ounce) can unseasoned black beans, drained and rinsed

# 4 egg

# 1 1/2 cups Splenda sugar substitute

# 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

# 1 teaspoon baking powder

# 2 tablespoons oil (or 2 TBS unsweetened applesauce for Phase 2)

# 1 tablespoon vanilla

# 1/2 cup non-fat powdered milk

# 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

# 1/4 cup low-fat ricotta cheese

# chopped nuts (optional)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.

2. Mix all ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth-you will have to scrap down the sides a few times to make sure it is evenly blended.

3. Pour into an 8x8-inch pan sprayed with non stick cooking spray.

4. Bake at 350°F for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

5. Sprinkle additional cocoa powder on top if desired.

6. Cover with saran wrap to keep fresh or freeze in individual pieces and defrost in the microwave whenever those munchies set in!

Pinto Bean Pie

INGREDIENTS

* 1 cup white sugar

* 2/3 cup packed brown sugar

* 3 eggs

* 1/3 cup butter

* 1 cup pinto beans, cooked and mashed

* 1/3 cup chopped walnuts

* 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. Cream together butter, sugars and eggs (slightly beaten). Add beans and nuts, mix well and pour into unbaked pie shell.

3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 to 40 minutes.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pinto-Bean-Pie-II/Detail.aspx

Polenta and Pinto Bean Pie

(VeganFood)

Serves 4

Ingredients

1 x 16 Ounce package cooked polenta

1 x 16 Ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed

1 x 16 Ounce jar salsa or picante sauce (mild, medium, or hot)

1 x 4 Ounce can mild green chiles, drained

1 Tablespoon chili powder

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 Cup shredded vegan cheddar cheese

1/2 Cup crushed tortilla chips

Directions

- Preheat the oven to 350F. Cut the polenta into 1/2-inch thick slices and arrange in the bottom of a lightly oiled 9- or 10-inch square baking dish. Set aside.

- In a bowl, combine the pinto beans, salsa, chiles, and chili powder, and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper and spread over the polenta.

- Top with shredded cheese and tortilla chips. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer to lightly brown the top.

Note

When you use prepared polenta and canned beans, this flavorful casserole can be assembled in just a few minutes. By the time you make a salad and set the table, it's nearly ready to come out of the oven

http://www.all-creatures.org/cva/th-20080304-r.htm

You can make polenta at home. Use field corn and grind up then use your favorite mush recipe. Pour the mush into a rectangular glass dish and smooth it out. Refrigerate over night then cut into squares.

FunkyPioneer, I agree with you. I have canned beans, but am interested in recipes for dried beans. I would guess that once we prepared the dried beans per the instructions on the package, I would then be able to use them in any of the recipes here, but I would love to have recipes from scratch, not just by cans. My storage is mostly cans right now, although I have bought some dry beans. Next I just have to learn how to prepare them and get my family to eat them, or there isn't much sense in me storing them.

beans.. do not cook with salt! add salt after the bean shells are soft!!!

salt cause the beans to stay hard.

anyone have details on this? I would like to add it to the cookbook.

and please add recipes for cooking dried beans!!!!

I have mostly recipes for cooking from cans or canned items. For long term storers hey.. store er isn't a word! hummmm... anyway, I use my dried beans in these recipes by preparing them first then adding to the recipes...

by all means.. ladies.. go out and look for recipes we can use for those that are into cooking from scratch!!!!

Uh Oh, back to my archives....I have lots of bean recipes from the hard stage, by the way. Funky, all beans are bland when cooked from scratch, that is their beauty. You can change the flavor to suit yourself, use in any kind of diet, and generally play around with them. My favorite idea is the one about grinding hard, raw beans (use a metal burr, the stone gets glazed and you have to clean it) to make a bean flour. This flour cooks up quick-quick-quick for almost instant refried beans, and the time I tried using it in a mock Cream of Chicken Soup it was delicious (no cream, just white bean flour to thicken and give the proper texture). It made the cooking nearly instantaneous. So I will go root around in my coobooks and find some good and out of the ordinary recipes - from scratch, natch.

when I cook beans and hamhocks.. I cook the beans then throw in the hamhocks.. salt in the hamhocks you know!

Refried Mexican Beans

2 cups dried pinto beans, soaked 6-8 hours or quick-soaked

1 small onion, cut in wedges

1 large clove garlic

2 tablespoons chili powder

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon sea salt

Preparation

Drain beans and discard soaking water. Put beans in a pressure cooker. Add enough water to cover beans by 2 inches.

Add onion and garlic clove.

Remove 1/4 cup of bean cooking liquid and mix together with chili powder and cumin.

Add spice mixture to the beans and stir to incorporate. cook for another 30 minutes. Add salt and stir to incorporate.

Break up bean mixture with a potato masher. Check for seasoning.

Refried Beans with Pickled Jalapeños

SERVES: 16

ingredients

* 1 pound dried pinto beans, rinsed and picked over

* 2 ancho chiles-- stemmed, seeded and coarsely chopped

* 1/4 cup olive oil

* 2 slices of bacon, minced

* 1 medium onion, finely chopped

* 4 garlic cloves, minced

* Kosher salt

* 1/2 pound extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, grated (2 cups)

* 1/2 cup drained sliced pickled jalapeños

* Tortilla chips or warm flour tortillas

directions

1. In a large saucepan, combine the beans, anchos and 2 quarts of water and bring to a boil over moderate heat. Lower the heat, cover partially and simmer until the beans are very tender, about 2 hours. Add a little water if necessary to keep the beans just covered as they cook; let cool. Working in batches, puree the beans and their liquid in a food processor.

2. Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet. Add the bacon and cook over moderately high heat without browning until the fat is rendered, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until deep golden brown, about 10 minutes. Lower the heat to moderate, add the pureed beans and stir until thick and creamy, about 5 minutes; if the beans become dry, stir in a little water. Season with salt.

3. Spread half of the beans in a large ovenproof skillet or baking dish and sprinkle with half of the grated cheese. Cover with the remaining beans and cheese and then the sliced jalapeños.

4. Preheat the oven to 350°. Bake the beans for about 20 minutes, or until they are heated through and the cheese is melted. Serve with tortilla chips or tortillas.

MAKE AHEAD The beans can be covered and refrigerated in the skillet overnight. Let return to room temperature before proceeding

I had success with my beans last yesterday!

I soaked them over night, tossed out the water, put them in the crock pot on low and cover them with water and added onion, garlic, chopped green chiles, oregono, salt and pepper. I let them cook all day and they were soft and yummy! I think my problem before was not cooking them with enough water.

I just did a search for "cowboy beans" and got a lot of good bean and bread receipes mainly on Recipegoldmine.com. These were good for food storage ingredients. Most items were developed for on the trail cooking over a fire.

Dry beans are a prime example of cooking cheaply, controlling your ingredients, and creating unique food you can’t buy. The down side? They take time. There are several ways to go from that rock hard pebble, to a luscious nugget of nutrition, without having to keep them on the fire all day long.

OVERNIGHT SOAK METHOD

Just as the name says. Pick over the beans and remove broken ones, pebbles and debris. Wash then soak the beans overnight in water to cover at least twice. I usually go overboard with the water because I don’t know for sure how much they will swell up.

The next day, drain the water (cuts down on the gas). Replace with fresh water to cover, bring beans and water to a boil. Cover and lower heat to simmer. Simmer until beans are as soft as you want. Check after an hour. Pintos & Great Northerns take 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

For most recipes, they should be soft; if you are adding tomatoes to them they should be mushy-soft, as the tomatoes toughen them back up. For baked beans, you will cook about halfway – blow on a spoonful of beans and if the skin peels up from the puff of air, and you can mush one with your fingers, they are ready to drain and put into the final sauce to finish up. Don’t salt until they are done cooking, Like tomatoes and other acidy ingredients, salt toughens them up again.

QUICK SOAK METHOD

I use this one a lot, because I always forget to set them to soak the night before. I’m getting better at that though, because I like to use the thermal heat method, and that takes planning ahead.

Take your basic pebbles, put in a pot with plenty of water. Bring to a nice rolling boil and boil about 2 minutes. Cover, remove from heat, and soak, at least 1 hour. I like 2 hours better, myself. Then drain, replace the water and start them boiling again. When they come to a boil, cover and simmer until cooked, just like you soaked them overnight.

CROCKPOT METHOD

Take washed & sorted beans, and pour into boiling water. Boil for 10 minutes. Drain. Put in crockpot with 6 cups HOT water per pound of beans. Cook on low for 12 hours.

THERMAL HEAT COOKING METHOD

I have fallen in love with this one, it takes very little fuel or electricity to cook the beans to suit. Soak the beans by one of the above methods. Drain, then replace the water, as you would to cook them normally. Bring to a nice, rolling boil for about 10 minutes. Cover tightly, remove from heat, and wrap up at least 3 inches thick in a wool or polyester blanket, quilt, coat, etc. Be sure you cover the entire pot 3 inches at least thick. Let sit off heat for several hours. The beans will cook themselves on the stored heat (kind of like a thermos). For pinto beans, you boil 10 minutes and wrap 3 hours. Check, and if not done to taste, re-boil and re-wrap. Soybeans usually take me two boil and wrap sessions. Red beans boil for 30 min, wrap for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Lentils, soaked, boil 10 min and wrap 3 to 4 hours. Lima beans I make same as pinto beans. This technique also works with rice (boil 5 min, wrap 1 hour for white; boil 10 min, wrap 1 to 2 hours for brown), and pasta (boil 5 min, wrap 20-30 minutes) as well as meats and vegetables. But I use it mostly for beans to save energy and pot monitoring.

If you are handy with the pressure cooker you can make your own CANNED beans:

Soak your beans 12 hours or so, or quick soak them as above. Drain and rinse. Put beans back in pot, add hot water to cover and boil 30 min. Pack hot into hot canning jars, leaving 1 inch head space. Add 1/2 tsp salt per pint or 1 tsp salt per quart if you want. Cover with hot cooking water to 1 inch of top of jar. Remove air bubbles and put on jar lids, screw down hand tight, and process at 10 pound pressure. Pints for 1 hr 15 min, quarts 1 hour 30 min. (If you can get a copy of “Country Beans” by Rita Bingham, it has bean recipes for canning!)

I cook beans (heck, everything) in the MICROWAVE, too, but it does not save time and boil overs are common. But here is how: Put 1 pound washed, sorted beans in a 5 qt. casserole with 8 cups water and any seasonings. Microwave at full power 8-10 min or until boiling. Cover with plastic wrap or a casserole lid. Let stand 1 hour (soak phase).

Stir several times, add hot water to keep beans covered as they swell up and absorb the water. Cook at full power 20 min, then half power 20-40 min or until tender.

Now for some ways to give those morsels some flavor!

You may interchange many kinds of beans, except maybe lentils, which have a stronger flavor (but a magical affinity for tomatoes in any form).

BUTTER BEANS are easy. Soak, then cook up 1 pound of lima beans (I like large ones, but small will do also), until mostly done. They will smoosh in the fingers, but still have just a little firmness to them. Drain out half the cooking water, replace with a stick of butter or margarine, and add some chicken bouillon powder to the pot. I use a tablespoon of powder for each cup of water in the pot. You should end up with water to barely cover the beans. Let the beans finish cooking (you will have to re-boil and re-wrap if using the thermal technique). As they finish cooking, they will soak up the chickeny, buttery sauce, which tastes great as a sauce with the beans, or as a soup on the side. They have a mild flavor, and I use these instead of potatoes in my meals quite often. They cook up nicely in a crock pot with little fanfare.

SWEET BEANS are my generic term for beans cooked with molasses, honey, maple syrup, brown sugar, etc. (the whole ‘baked beans’ family) I cook up 1 pound of beans for 2 people. I use great northern beans if I have them, they cook up faster than navy beans in my experience, and hold their shape when cooked. But I have also used pinto beans, black beans, red beans, and soy beans. Pinto beans are a softer bean, but at my house we like them soft, so that is OK. Use what you have. Soak and half cook the beans, using the blow and smoosh tests to see if they are done enough. Then drain off but save the hot cooking water. To the 1 pound of beans in the bean pot, I add 1 chopped onion; some chopped bacon, ham, pork or cooked hamburger if I have it either as left overs or cooked fresh; and seasonings to taste. Depending on my mood and who I am cooking for I add salt, pepper, cloves or allspice; if I want it hotter I add chili powder, Tabasco sauce, or salsa to taste. This is a personal taste thing. Stir into the beans. Pour about 1/2 cup of honey, corn syrup, maple syrup or molasses into a cup, and add some of the hot cooking water to thin it out so it pours out easily over the beans. Add cooking water enough so the beans are just submerged. Bring to a boil, then cover and let simmer until done to suit. If you don’t have any of the syrupy things on hand you can use brown sugar and hot water. The idea is to give the beans a sweet twang. Taste and adjust to your liking. I have been known to add a splash of vinegar if the beans tasted overly sweet.

OTHER BEAN SAUCES: If you want short-cut barbecue beans, throw in some bottled barbecue sauce into your basic cooked beans, thinned down a bit with hot water so it does not overpower them. It’s even better with your home made secret BBQ sauce. Ketchup is a time honored way to dress up plain beans. For chili beans, dump in a good amount of salsa (my husband likes Pace), some chopped onions and some chili powder. Stewed tomatoes make a milder bean sauce if the Pace is too hot. My husband likes to throw cans of vegetarian vegetable soup into the pot for a sort of bean stew! Italian beans are made with (you guessed it!) pasta sauce and parmesan cheese. They make a tasty vegetarian meatless pasta sauce, especially if you use lentils which have a meatier taste. Some folks think lentils’ color is unappetizing. If so, find some orange ones. They taste the same, but look more appetizing to some. In a sauce the brown ones look much like meat anyway, so I never bother looking for special lentils.

OTHER BEAN DISHES: Beans are a good way to stretch your meat and add fiber to any casserole. You can smoosh them up and stir them in (if you have bean skeptics to feed) or simply add them whole for about 1/4th to 1/2 the meat. You can crack them and cook them with the rest of the casserole (cracked beans cook much faster, about 30 min. You can mash them up and add to hamburger patties, meat balls, or meat loaf. You can mush them up, mix them with bread crumbs and make totally meatless patties. (1 lb beans, cooked and mashed up, 2 eggs, a little chopped onion, and bread crumbs to make it easier to patty them up. Mix well, make patties, and roll in more bread crumbs. Fry in a fry pan, serve in a bun with lettuce and tomato, and who misses meat?? Not I.) Try adding sage for a bean ‘sausage’ patty for breakfast. Whole beans are drained and marinated in a vinaigrette dressing, for three-bean salad. Feeling uninspired? Marinate them in Italian salad dressing, with some minced onions and chopped green pepper if you like. Some folks add cubed cheese, but I like the cheese on the side, melted on rye bread. You can mix cooked beans with mayonnaise type dressing, too and either leave them whole or mash them up for a sandwich filling that is fiber rich and satisfying. Don’t forget bean-wiches, made of cooked beans spooned over bread, topped with a slice of cheese and broiled. Beans make a good sloppy-joe, a tasty stir-fry, and of course all manner of chilis.

I won’t necessarily get into soups, although beans and soup are a perfect match. I will just say that if you grind up some raw beans into BEAN FLOUR (use a metal burr on your grinder, the stone ones need cleaning if you grind beans with them) they cook faster, almost instant. They make wonderful ‘instant’ refried beans.

Take 2 cups water, bring to a boil. Whisk in 1 cup bean flour, and cook and stir 1 min until thickened. Lower heat to med-low cover and cook 6 min, stirring occasionally. This makes a nice, thick refried bean style dish. Just top with grated cheese and chopped onions and eat with a spoon. For a bean dip, use 2 1/2 cups water and 3/4 cup bean flour. Cook and stir 1 min until thickened, then lower heat and cook 4 min longer, stirring occasionally. This is also good as a sandwich filling...I love a bean sandwich of mashed beans, miracle whip, a couple pieces bacon, a tomato, and topped with some lettuce or alfalfa sprouts on toast (I guess that would make it a BBAT?) If you are feeding bean skeptics a white bean flour can be used to thicken sauces and snuck (sneaked??) into macaroni and cheese or other casseroles handily, as well as thickening soups and adding to wheat flour to complete the protein (add 1/4th as much bean flour as wheat flour).

Beans are a fun food to experiment with, and cheap enough that if you don’t like the results, you didn’t break the bank!! I hope this gives you some ideas to start jazzing up those beans. I do know it made me want to go start up a couple pots of beans. Lentils tonight, I think, with stewed tomatoes, served over rice with pan fried onions on top (I’m too cheap to buy the French fried onions). Then some soybeans to mash up for bean sandwiches tomorrow. Yum!

• 3 months later...

Archived