MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Beans in the Pressure Cooker

I got a new pressure cooker recently- and I LOVE it! I have just started experimenting with it- Sunday we had DMIL over with a few others- Saturday evening we pressure cooked the country style ribs for about 15 minutes a batch ( ready to be grilled quickly Sunday after church)

so I also put some Navy beans (just bought last week) in a pan and covered with water to let them soak over night for baked BBQ beans. Sunday AM I got up and made a recipe per Mrs Vickies SITE (only I merged two recipes) but anyway -the time called for 4 minutes on one recipe and the other called for 10 minutes. I looked are her cooking time charts and 10 minutes was around what she suggested for Navy beans- so after 10 minutes I tasted them and they were still hard. So I pressure cooked for 10 more- - still hard- them 10 more--still not really what I am used to for baked beans..more of the liquid was gone by then (enough to eat them -but not enough to pressure cook again) the flavor was good but I do not like hard beans- sorry to be drawing this out sooooo long to ask- What did I do wrong? ow can I improve my results. I just bought a lot of beans and i want ot start cooking with them more! help

Well... the only thing I can think of aside from old beans, is did you follow her natural release method?

The bean chart says, quote:

"In all cases beans should be finished using the natural release method." : unquote

http://missvickie.com/workshop/schoolframe.html

Natural Release Method

This is the slowest method to gradually drop the pressure and the temperature to finish the cooking process.

A third method of releasing the pressure is to remove the pressure cooker from the heat source and to allow the pressure to subside naturally. If you are cooking beans, potatoes, or other foods which have a skin that you wish to remain intact, this is the preferred method. Use the this release method for foods that increase in volume, froth or foam, or those that are mostly liquids, like soup or broth. Most meats and other long cooking recipes are finished this way to complete the cooking process.

If you own an electric model, keep in mind that the heating element will retain heat and that will prolong the cool down period which may result in foods that are overcooked.

There is no hard and fast rule to determine how long the cooling process will take. Factors such as the construction of the base and the type of metal used, the volume and type of foods being cooked, will affect the amount of time it takes for the pressure to drop. An appropriate length of time would be 15 minutes, but be patient if it takes a bit longer and wait for the pressure to drop. However, if you are in a hurry and can't wait any longer than that, then use the cold water release method to completely drop the remaining pressure.

---

(Emphasis added by me.)

I have never gotten good results from beans in my pressure cooker. I like to put beans in the slow-cooker, or the solar cooker. Takes all day (a couple of days for stored beans) but the beans finally do soften.

If you put beans in a solar cooker, remember to watch your thermometer and bring them inside to refridgerate as soon as the evening brings the temp down into the "danger zone."

I haven't tried long-stored beans in a solar cooker, btw.

Evergreen, I just did beans in my pressure cooker yesterday, so I can actually remember! At my altitude, 8000 feet, I need about 30 minutes in the pressure cooker. No doubt you need less than 30, but 10 minutes sounds way too little. My manual recommend 20 minutes for sea level.

And they usually soak up more liquid than I expect.

Boy am I glad I read this. My directions say 6 minutes LOL...I would have been disappointed to find out that was not the case, cause of course I would not have experimented first. Now I know I need to. Does the quantity matter?

Mo7

I'm not real clear here on if you put the tomato stuff in with the beans altogether to cook, or if you were cooking the beans first, so let me type this out just in case someone else out there has a problem in the future. (Gotta forgive this old and duh! brain lol!)

If you are going to make something like baked beans, always cook your beans alone first. All the way through. If that was what you did, then chances are they were either undercooked (didn't sound like yours was) or old beans (I have never been able to get those to soften no matter how long I cook 'em!).

If you put the tomato stuff in with the beans and tried to cook them that way, it wont work. I'm not sure of the detailed chemistry stuff, but there is something in tomatoes that will keep the beans from cooking. They wont soften up no matter how much you cook those. I tried cooking chili that way for three or four days...which was how I leaned that lesson lol! blush

Not sure if that helps any, but thought I would give it a shot.

Q

hmmmmm, yes I cooked it all together -this was from a recipe from the site in my first post (actually two recipes combined)

I fried the bacon, them removed it to crumble- fried onion and garlic in bacon greese then added all the other ingreedience and cooked. Lets see if I can find recipe - cant copy- its a PFD- but there was green pepper, tomato sauce, brown sugar, dry mustard, then add the soked beans and cover all with 2 inches of water. pressure cook 3 minutes for pinto beans, the other recipe that called for navy beans said to cook for 10 minutes. It to use natural release method.....

I am going to be making this tonight. I soaked the beans last night, I think I will try and pressure cook them first- and then when they are done make the chili. I think I will go for 20 minutes in the cooker, then cook the rest of the way in the chicken stock,... Any oppinions???? (BTW i have navy beans- not great northern)

Ruby Tuesday's White Chicken Chili

6 cups chicken stock

1 pound great northern beans, soaked in water overnight

2 medium Spanish onions, chopped

6 cups diced cooked chicken

2 jalapeno peppers, seeded, diced

2 chile peppers, diced

1-1/2 teaspoons oregano 2 teaspoons cumin

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 cup salsa

1 tablespoon oil

salt & pepper Cooking Instructions: Simmer beans, half of the onions and half of the garlic in chicken stock for two hours or until beans soften, stirring frequently. Add chicken and salsa. In a frying pan, saute peppers, spices and the remaining onions and garlic in the oil until softened. Add to the chili. Simmer for one more hour.

Sugar or vinegar in beans will prevent them cooking too. I pour boiling water over the beans and let them soak then pour that off and pour boiling water over them again and let them go overnight. Pour that water off. Then pressure cook for 20-30 min depending on how old/hard they are. Use plenty of water! Don't fill the cooker too full! Drain the beans and then add your other ingredients and pop in the oven for a while till all is melted together and just the way you like it. (The boiling water treatment makes beans easier to digest and gets rid of the bitter beany taste a lot of us don't care for.)

Originally Posted By: nmchick
I'd use the chicken stock to cook the beans in the pressure cooker, but what do I know?
happy02

This is what I emded up doing -I am waiting for the pressure to drop now! I ended up presure cooking them 20 minutes.

OK- I used the natural release method (which I know realize I DID NOT use the last time- and the beans are super soft! banana

I was a little worried as I knew I has some salt in the broth -but they came out great!

Sooo it must have been the tomato products in the last recipe that messed me up- wonder why Mrs. Vicky does not know this when she seems to know so much about pressure cooking??? Maybe she doesnt do beans much- though she does have LOTS of good looking bean recipes!

I'll let you know how the chili comes out- if it is good I am goign to can some next week.

Archived