MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Make Fresh Ricotta Cheese

I haven't made this yet, but I plan to.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/28/dining/2...amp;oref=slogin

The New York Times

May 28, 2008

Recipe: Fresh Ricotta

By JULIA MOSKIN

Adapted from “Michael Chiarello’s Casual Cooking” (Chronicle, 2002)

Time: 1 hour

2 quarts whole milk

2 cups buttermilk.

1. Line a wide sieve or colander with cheesecloth, folded so that it is at least 4 layers thick. Place in sink.

2. Pour milk and buttermilk into a heavy-bottomed pot. Cook over high heat, stirring frequently; scrape bottom of pot occasionally to prevent scorching. As milk heats, curds will begin to rise and clump on surface. Once mixture is steaming hot, stop stirring.

3. When mixture reaches 175 to 180 degrees on a candy thermometer, curds and whey will separate. (Whey will look like cloudy gray water underneath a mass of thick white curds.) Immediately turn off heat and gently ladle curds into sieve.

4. When all curds are in sieve and dripping has slowed (about 5 minutes), gently gather edges of cloth and twist to bring curds together; do not squeeze. Let drain 15 minutes more. Discard the whey.

5. Untie cloth and pack ricotta into airtight containers. Refrigerate and use within one week.

Yield: About 2 cups; can be doubled.

Originally Posted By: Fritz_Monroe
You can also use whey in bread, biscuits and soups. I've heard that it will add a slight cheese taste in these things.

As replacement to the milk? Or as an addition?

Adding whey makes the crust softer. Softens hands too.

Funny you say that Leah. I make mozzarella, the leftover is strained for ricotta, and the whey I use to lacto ferment various foods. And when I'm done with that whole process, I notice my hands are soft. I never knew it was a known "hand softener." Cool.

I started out with a kit from cheesemaking.com - very easy. You heat the milk, add citric acid and later rennet. Cut the curds, squeeze, knead, keep hot, and in 30 minutes (or less, once you get the hang of it) it's done. And it is so much yummier than anything else you've ever had. You must use milk that is not ultrapasteurized. I had a hard time getting it to come out well until I started using raw milk, so I recommend that if you can get it.

Archived